7mm rem mag velocity

It has been my observation that the 7mm Mags, particularly the Rem Mag, vary somewhat in velocities and pressures from rifle to rifle. Since I started loading for the 7mm Rem Mag (in 1964), I have owned two different rifles and both of them would exceed published loads easily with the 160 Partition bullet which is what I have always used. However, I have seen several other 7mm Rem Mag rifles which belong to friends which would not safely load to the same levels as my two rifles and showed pressure signs a couple of grains of powder lower than my rifle.

The 7mm Rem Mag that I use now (a Mauser custom built in 1973) has been loaded with maximum loads of IMR 4350 and 7828 with good accuracy and velocity for the 160 Partitions of about 2980 fps. With the 160 Partition bullet, I am currently loading 66 grains of IMR 7828 with W-W cases and a Federal 215 Match Magnum primer. This load appears to be equal to the load used with RL 22 powder in velocity. My rifle is also very accurate with this load. Just be cautious because rifles in this caliber do vary some in performance.

OT3, I'm in total agreement regarding the high degree of variability of 7mmRemMag rifles. I have shot three with handloads, and all have been very different from one another. The only one I've owned was a Remington 700 ADL, and it would take your 66gr IMR7828 load and lob a 160r AccuBond a paltry 2740fps. It routinely shot everything about 200fps slower than expected. I started getting suspicious and measured the chamber, only to find the shoulder measurement was actually well outside the SAAMI specs (so much for QC at big green). I finally managed to get good velocity out of the gun, by loading well beyond books (several grains) but it was never accurate and I traded it off. It's the only rifle I've ever bought and not kept. I'm searching for a 7mmRemMag of good quality now, though my funding is not good enough to make one happen right this minute unless it was a real steal.

My point is, though, I don't put much faith in load manual velocity estimations when it comes to these rounds. They're about as useful as a screen door on a submarine when it comes to accurately predicting what you'll see at the range.

Dubyam, I have had several people tell me the same thing about other 7mm Rem Mags. Others that I trust as observant and knowledgeble reloaders have had problems of oversized chambers, as you had, or undersized chambers that would not take a full charge without serious pressure signs.

For some strange anomally of physics, or case proportions, or maybe being a somewhat overbore design, the 7mm and other smallbore mags (i.e. .264 Mag) seem to be much more sensitive to relatively small chamber variations causing large pressure variations between individual rifles. I also found this also to be true with a .25-06 which I owned and could never load to specs without pressure signs.

I really like the 7mm Rem Mag and it was the first magnum bolt action rifle that I ever owned after discharge from the service. If you get a 7mm Rem Mag that has a properly dimensioned to a SAAMI spec chamber, it is a very effective and potent cartridge for most American game.

Oldtrader3":30u1e4ly said:
I really like the 7mm Rem Mag and it was the first magnum bolt action rifle that I ever owned after discharge from the service. If you get a 7mm Rem Mag that has a properly dimensioned to a SAAMI spec chamber, it is a very effective and potent cartridge for most American game.

It was my FIRST rifle as well. I loved it, I think I was the only 14 year old with a 7RM who rolled his own. I remember weighing out charges of H870 and stuffing 140gr PT's on top. Not sure how fast they were going but nothing escaped that M70. Still have the rifle and love it a bunch, but it needs a new stock and some optics upgrades. My 264WM is kinda fussy as Charlie mentioned, but I kinda lean to it being really overbore and just a little more crucial to get everything right. When the mix is right, man will that rifle sing! Scotty

My first bolt action was a Lee-Enfield Mark IV, No. 3 (SMLE) when I was 13 (1955). I could not hit a 55 gal drum at 100 yards with it and I traded it and got a .32 Special, Model 94 after it which was a more accurate rifle.

Here's my favorite load for the 7mm Remington Magnum. This is from a factory Remington stainless/synthetic ADL, bought in the early 1990's - just after the first stainless rifles became available. This load produces 3192-fps average for 10 shots. I have pushed the load to 70gr of RL19 at 3300-fps, which appears to be the summer max for my rifle. In the interest of longevity, I have settled on 68grs. I've taken a number of elk, deer and antelope with this load. The end result was always the same... :wink:

7RM-Target001.jpg

Very nice. Looks like a screamer of a good deer load. I used to run H870 with 140gr PT's but back then I didn't have a chrono, but looking at some of my speeds now, I would guess they were moving out smartly. Scotty

Well we worked up to 66 gr of RL-22 and found the gun like 64 gr @ 2836, 64.5@ 2855 and
65.5 @ 2930. At 64.5 gr you can measure the group with a pencil eraser, it is 1 hole. I talked with my friend who was shooting and he said the gun is 35 years old, shot alot and has NEVER had the carbon or copper cleaned from the barrel. Here are some pict of the groups he shot at 100 yards. Chap stick added for ref, this gun is just stupid accurate.View attachment 1View attachment 2

Bill,

Those are impressive groups! I don't think I would worry too much about the speed, with that level of accuracy your buddy can place the bullet with surgical precision.

JD338

Bill, that is very impressive! What a 7mm! Son of a gun. Seems like it really likes RL22! Scotty

That sort of accuracy is enviable. Velocity is less of a problem when you have that sort of accuracy.

With the 64.5 load if I was not there to see it I would be inclined to call BS. The gun really does like RL-22 and the 160 accubonds.

OU812":ogcxc3bo said:
With the 64.5 load if I was not there to see it I would be inclined to call BS. The gun really does like RL-22 and the 160 accubonds.

Not many of the 7mm Mags really complain about them! I know it is a hit in my WSM as well Bill. Scotty

Wow :shock: I'd like to withdraw my target. That is just insane for a rifle that has not been cleaned

Corey.

OU812":3qrlvjlp said:

Impressive groups by all. The 140's shoot flatter, which is why I've stayed with them all these years, but I've been considering trying some 160-BT/AB Noslers just to see what happens. Theoretically, the 1:9 twist used by Remington should work better with the longer bullets. BT

okie2":37ur7phw said:
beretzs":37ur7phw said:
Bill, that is very impressive! What a 7mm! Son of a gun. Seems like it really likes RL22! Scotty
VV N160 works in mine
savage7mag139sst.jpg

Looks like a lot of things work by seeing that target, that's awesome shooting.

My 1 shot groups are about that tight. :)

Bill

When I did it I didn't believe either and niether did my friend that was with me.
and this is a as it come from Savage I bought it used at gun show for $235.00
and put a scope on it. this why I now have 5 Savages in different calibers.

okie2":88srpt0d said:
When I did it I didn't believe either and niether did my friend that was with me.
and this is a as it come from Savage I bought it used at gun show for $235.00
and put a scope on it. this why I now have 5 Savages in different calibers.

Some of the most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever seen were savages.

Bill

Back