7mm Rem Mag with RL-22

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
First of all, I'd like to thank all of those who responded to several of my earlier posts regarding the 7 RM and convinced me that RL-22 IS the powder for 160 AB's. I'm sure that other powders work well for alot of you, but my rifle kind of likes it. It's not the best group I've shot, but I'm more comfortable with the likes of .308s and 7mm-08 cartridges.

66grs RL-22 works for me, speed is still a little slow but I don't think Ga. deer will know it.

[img
Sendero160AB66grRL-22.jpg
[/img]

Now I just have to practice. Thanks again, everyone.

bteate,

That velocity is more than adequate for whitetails (or black bears, or elk, or moose, or ... just about any game in North America). This is especially true when it describes the velocity of a 160 grain AB. Congratulations. Now, post some pictures of the deer you take this fall.

That is almost exactly what I am getting out of my WBY 7mm Rem Mag also with 66gr of RL22. Your's looks a little more accurate than mine though! Either way, Mike is right, it is so close to the magic 3000FPS FPS mark, no sense in playing too much with it when you are getting that kind of accuracy out of it. That is great shooting. Scotty

bteate,nice shooting with the 7 Mag and 160 gr.AB'S. I've got about 400 Speer 175gr,BTSP that I am going to use RL 19 powder at 3000FPS later. I like using the 175 and 160 grain bullets on deer here in Alabama.

7Mags Forever and a 30 cal. will "Slam Dunk Um"

Nice Group. Glad to see RL22 worked well for you. If you are that concerned with the group size you could play with OAL a little. I would say thats a fine group.

bteate":3pck0swd said:
First of all, I'd like to thank all of those who responded to several of my earlier posts regarding the 7 RM and convinced me that RL-22 IS the powder for 160 AB's................
66grs RL-22 works for me, speed is still a little slow but I don't think Ga. deer will know it.

I have heard that before somewhere....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Way to go bteate!! Nice group, but look at your ES MAN!! A 7... If you can do that again, that load is golden!!! Sure only 4 rds, but run a string and see what you get... Thats sweet!!

Rod

I do believe you have, POP. :grin: I'm glad I found something for it since it took all but about 30gr of RL-22 I have left and there's none to be found in the southeast. That's the way it goes for me, I guess.

bteate

Nicely done! Glad RL 22 worked for you.

JD338

I found some! I'll start Monday with Nosler brass, CCI 250 primers, RL-22 and AB 160gr. All is the same except for the brass and I plan on starting a bit lower and coming back up and fine tune it, then I'll nail it down and load some for deer season. After I do that, I plan on loading some 140gr AB over a stout load of IMR4350 and see which does better on deer. The 140gr load absolutely rocks in my Sendero.

Back