7MM STW Loads

I've reloaded Nosler bullets for 7mmRemMag for 25 years. Use mostly IMR4831/4350 and, recently RL22. Just purchased a 7mm STW and would also be interested in loading data for the STW in the 160 gr AccuBond especially with the above powders and IMR 7828. The last Nosler reloading manual I have is from 1989. Call me cheap, but I don't want to buy another reloading manual for one cartridge. And, I bet there is expert opinion out there that may go beyond the manual.

jd,

There has been a lot of changes in the shooting world since 1989:
bullets, powders, calibers, etc.
It may not be a bad idea to invest $20.00 in updated load data. The Nosler Guide #5 has good load data on the 7mm STW as well as RUM, SAUM, and WSM calibers.

Boonie,
You can use the PT load date for the AB bullets.

The 160 gr AB is a great bullet, I am getting sub 1/4" groups with this bullet out of my 280 AI. I can't wait for deer season to get here!

Regards,

JD338

Thanks, JD

You are, of course, right. I'll have to splurge. And, it probably has less to do with the $20 than it does my obssessive-compulsive disorder and resistance to change. Reloading manuals are like bibles. Once you get used to your King James version, you are loathe to 'upgrade' to the New American Standard even if it is better.

Thanks, JD

You are, of course, right. I'll have to splurge. And, it probably has less to do with the $20 than it does my obssessive-compulsive disorder and resistance to change. Reloading manuals are like bibles. Once you get used to your King James version, you are loathe to 'upgrade' to the New American Standard even if it is better.

I shoot a max load of H1000 for the 160gr Partition when using the 160gr AccuBond in my 7STW. The load regularely shoots into 1" @ 200yds.

Now you'll have to purchase the Nosler book to determine the charge weight. :lol: :grin: :lol:

OK . . . So I not only ordered the #5 manual, I got the Special Edition. I'm hoping it will magically improve my groups.

Can't wait to load up a couple of boxes and see how the new weapon performs.

Thanks,
jd

I received my Nosler manual #5. But, then I decided to load the 7mmSTW with RL 25--not in the manual. Here's a few complicated questions that I now have.

I looked up load data on the Alliant powder website. They publish a recipe for the STW of 79 gr with a 160 gr PT which produces 3,300 fps & 62K psi. The Speer manual gives a max of 75 gr for their 160 gr projectiles producing 3,076 fps and 53K psi. 225 fps is nothing to sneeze at in terms of long range trajectory. With the 7mmremmag that I am more used to Nosler gives a max load of 63 gr RL 22 for 160 gr projectiles yeilding 3,060 while the Alliant guide gives 65 gr yeilding 3,075 with 58.6K psi.

I've laoded just about every bullet weight combination with various IMR powders (their published data seem more conservative the the Nosler manual) to the max recommended charges in the 7mmremmag from the Nosler manual #3 without ever having any signs of high pressure. I use Nosler's published muzzle velocity and trajectory charts to calculate down range point of impact.

Here are my dilemmas given that I'm an addict of velocity and flat trajectory with the philosophy that shot placement is nearly everything in cleanly taking game,

Do I stick exclusively with Nosler published data so that I can calculate trajectories from their charts?
Do I trust the powder manufacturer contending that a 62K psi is safe?
Must I buy a chronograph in order to verify published data and to develop loads and calculate pressures (this would lead to all kinds of additional questions)?

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,
jd

One thing I can tell you for sure; if you don't use a chronograph, you will have no idea of the velocity of your handloads. The book velocity only tells you what the manufacturer got with his test barrel (length?) machine receiver, specific chamber and bore dimensions, their specific listed bullet (not just any bullet of the same weight), their primer and the specific lot of powder that they listed.

There isn't a chance that you will have the same combination of components. Small changes in components can result in large changes in pressure and velocity.

I have seen chronographed velocities that were 150 ft/sec different than the book indicated for the same bullet and powder charge. Excessive velocity is almost always accompanied by excessive pressure, even if you don't see outward indications of it.

Just my 2 cents

Excellent points, Charlie, and well taken. I suppose that all observant handloaders have discovered that even small changes can produce big consequences. And, if you're hoping for consistent accuracy at 300-400 yards, you have to know at what velocity the bullet starts. What chronograph do you recommend?

Made it out to the range today and shot the Browing A-Bolt STW for the first time. Has a pretty good "vroom" to it if you know what I mean. Used 75.1 gr RL 25 behind a 160 gr AB. 1st group was nearly 2" @ 100 yds, 2nd was 1.19" , and the 3rd was .69". I'm pleased.

jd

I tried several powders in my STW and my sendero absolutley loves 75 gr
IMR 7828 and the 160AB, One of the powders I tried was RL25 because
it is what I use in my 300RUM , I could never get the groups to tighten
up and had some weird velocity readings on my 35p chronograph
Hope this helps
Great cartridge !!
Charlie

Back