7mm wsm with 168 grain berger bullets

corbin9191

Handloader
Dec 2, 2007
Well I traded that smith and wesson I-bolt 25-06 rem back for my 7mm wsm (winchester model 70) and I got a box of 168 grain berger bullets and some Hodgdon retumbo and hodgdon 1000 to try with these bullets. Does anyone know a good load with any of these combination's and where should I start with the seating depth. Thank you

I've never had need to shot the Bergers in my 7mm WSM as the 160 ABs work so well and give me such great performance.

Corbin, start with a seating depth that allows you to fit the cartridges in the magazine and work up a load that shoots well in your gun. I was always told that the Bergers would not shoot well if they were not against the lands, which may be true if there is a lot of runout from the seating die, but I found that they shoot better than anything else ever has in my STW and they fit the magazine too. I started to play with a load in my wifes 7WSM this past season but ran out of time, as she had a first season tag. What I did for the STW was to send Walt Berger an E-mail and he sent me back several prescriptions. Magpro shoots real well in the 7WSM from my experiences so far and the Bergers were looking real good from the get go, on paper. Do spend the money on a quality seating die and pay particular attention to runout and you will be fine.

You also might go to their websight, they have an article there about how far out to load the bullets.

Corey

You can also call or e/mail Berger requesting some load data on the 7 WSM. Their phone # and e/mail address is on their site.

I did the same for my 300 WSM, and they sent back an e/mail showing numerous loadings using all 30 cal Berger (hunting) bullet weights and using many different powders.

Well I loaded up some rounds working up to 70 grains of H Retumbo and there is still not pressure signs and the velocity is 3064 at 15 feet and this is out of a 24 inch barrel. So I am going to still work up the loads SLOWLY and then start to check for accuracy.

I'd be looking for that accuracy load now, rather than trying for any more velocity. 3000+ fps with 168's from a 24" barrel is pretty sweet.

I suspect you'll find a good spot.. Have you checked over at 6mmBR.com?

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

Buried somewhere over there is also an article about a friend of mine, Ric Horst, and his 7mm WSM which he used as a long-range hunting rifle, often shooting 1000+ yards with it.

They've got a great article on the 7mmWSM. I did some work with a .300 WSM a couple of years ago and got excellent results from the 210 Berger VLD.

Regards, Guy

Although they are hard to find, I've had a lot better results with the
140 VLD's out of a 7WSM Montana Rifle Co Model 1999 using H4831.
Got some from Midsouth. EABCO also sells them. Recoil is a LOT
nicer, too. (This rifle is a finnicky eater, though.)

Well I finally got to test some groups with these bullets and I am quite surprised with the accuracy. I started the bullet at 3.036inches (into the lands and still fit in the magazine) then to 3.006 inches and a couple more but I can remember the exact numbers off the top of my head. But the bullet combo (70 grain of H Retumbo and 168 grain berger target vld) that did the best was 3.006 inches. the first and third shot went into .411 inches and the third shot made the group go into 1.1 inches (I pulled on the 2nd shot :oops: ) But I do plan on playing with the seating depth a little more to see if I can get just a little tighter groups out of the gun. But all in all I am really pleased with these bullets because I have never got anything to shoot under one and a half inches out of this rifle.

Back