7mmswm

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
I printed out your comments from Guy's 30-06 at 300 yards thread and let my grandfather read it. Although it did not change his mind about loading the 180 grain for me, he was curious what bullet you fellows use in your 7mmwsm

Mine is a Browning BLR, and the shots are 200 yards or less, used mainly as a dinner rifle ( caribou ) and predator rifle----BUT if a nice bull moose makes himself available, we eat moose instead of caribou.

what bullet ( weight and manufacturer ) would you choose ?

Though I don't own one I'm sure most will pick the 160gr Nosler PT or AB since you said Moose. :grin:

I'm shooting either 160 grain AccuBonds or 160 grain Sierra HPBTs in my 7WSM. It does quite nicely for game, to be sure.

So all I shot out of mine was 160's until I got my 7 Mashburn Super Magnum. Since I got a larger 7mm I've dropped back to 140 Partitions/BBCs. Those can comfortably run 3250 from my rifle and are ridiculously accurate for me as well. I would have no qualms about the BBC or Partition tanking a moose or elk. The speed really assists as well as it pushes my point blank range out a bit.

Honestly a 140, 150 or 160 are all the darned same for the most part. I believe the bullet itself will make a bigger difference than the 20 grains of bullet weight difference from top to bottom. Heck, with the Partition, Swift A-Frame or Northfork you aren't likely EVER going to notice the difference.

thanks guys, maybe we will try the sierra's Dr Mike

he has loaded the 156 oryx, 160 a frame, 160 ab, 160 and 175 alaska. At the moment the 160 a frame. But for some reason he is still looking/thinking. The oryx work's but are to hard to get, the ab worked very nicely as does the a frame, getting bullets from Alaska Bullet works takes some delivery imagination, but he makes nice bullets .

I will tell him you like 160/hpbt/sierra, thanks Dr Mike

thank you Scotty. I think he loads heavier 160's only because of the possible bear encounter. For Caribou and Moose, I think you are spot on about the 140, 150, 160. You prefer the PT in this caliber scotty over the ab ? I will also mention North Fork to him, although that company is one of his favorite companies, so I am sure he is considering them.

The animal and to be honest even I can not tell the difference sometimes, but he will tinker with bullets and powders until he feels he has the perfect load for my needs, I love him

A good father for sure. I don't have those big 7mm's like you all and I only have that little old .280 Ackley Improved. I have not had a chance to mess with a load much since I got the 140 gr. Partitions shooting 3/4" at 100 yards. It was simple and easy to get it to shoot so with some tinkering I think I can get even better for sure. The 140's chronographed at 3230 fps out of my .280 AI and they sure worked well on my cow elk at 450 yards. One shot.

If it was my 7mm WSM I would probably load either the 160 gr AccuBond or Partition. I just really like Noslers although as you mention, there are some other fantastic bullets out there.

Best of luck with your load work.

David

YH - I hunted with a 7mm Rem mag for some years - back before the 7mm WSM came along. Very similar velocity potential.

Eventually settled on the 160 at about 3,000 fps as an excellent choice, but had great results from a 175 gr Nosler Partition. That bullet is long, and penetrates deep. I remain impressed, years later.

Regards, Guy

Cheyenne, If I lived where you live and hunt where you hunt, especially at the distances you hunt at, ( 200 yards or less ) I would use the 175 gr North Fork and never look back--with one caveat ---Scotty or Dr Mike those would work in the BLR would they not since the BLR has the detached mag ?

Scotty, I would say this will date me, but everyone already knows I am old. We visited Mashburn in the 50's. It may have been the last time we were ever in Oklahoma. This is not to start an argument, just something funny to share with you. I remember my husband saying everyone tries to improve on the 300 H & H--why I don't know ? LOL I never forgot that or how flat Oklahoma, Kansas and Neb are.

160 Accubonds 66 gr RL22 3050 fps. 1 load for all!

FOTIS":2g6rsv2y said:
160 Accubonds 66 gr RL22 3050 fps. 1 load for all!

I ran 67 grains for 3075 quite a few years. Great shooting load.

April, the 300 Super is a good one. I just like the 7's a little more and then the 338 and 358's on top :lol:

They all work pretty danged well with good Bullets.

For the WSM and BLR, the magazine is fairly short so blunter 160's probably would save some case space. Honestly, I've never ran out of powder space even using Retumbo. The little 7mm WSM is a great performer.

Oh, as for the AccuBond vs the Partition. I used to think a Partition was a bit tougher but what I've truly found is the Accubonds tends to expand wider so they get stuck in more hides on big animals. Haven't really seen any difference in killing at all.

Now that I have gotten away from the Berger 180's for awhile, I shoot the 160gr Accubonds at about 3,100 ft/sec over a charge of 7828ssc. Deer drop like rocks even with shots out to 400+ yards. Biggest animal was a 450lb stag that went about 2 feet, straight down. One shot in the base of its neck and it was DRT.
I'm shooting a custom rifle in 7WSM with a 22" bbl.

Not having owned a 7MM WSM, but having used the 7MM Rem Mag, STW and the 280 Rem with 160 and 165 gr bullets on large game from deer to bison, I can recommend Partitions, AccuBonds, and Sierra GameKings in an accurate load in your rifle, on any animal you are hunting further north, at any of the ranges that you will shoot, with utter confidence. The Swift A-Frame would likewise be a great choice.

Have fun!

...I've been using the 160gr. HPBT SGK's in my 7mm WSM, but my favorite bullet for moose, elk, bear has always been the 175gr. GrandSlam...

Cheyenne,

Don't over look the 150 gr PT. It will shoot fast, flat and penetrate deep.
3015 fps recovered in the 6th jug at 100 yards, weight 101.7 grs, expanded to .678".
7mm150grPT3115fps004.jpg

7mm150grPT3115fps001.jpg

JD338

Thank you gentlemen

My grandfather told me about the Bitterroot. Where do I buy them, from F. W. Woolworth or possibly Dr Mike or April have some stashed away. Actually I think Scotty has some and Jamila knows where some are at, but neither are selling them.

wildgene, is your rifle a BLR ? thank you ( your use of the 175's )

I got in this late but I have been loading for the 7mm mag for over 20 years. We are experimenting right now with the new 168gr. ABLRs in one of the rifles and have had some success using RL-22 but the other rifle is still using the 160gr. ABs and 60grs. of IMR4350 it has always produced .5 or there abouts MOA and right around 3000fps.
I know that I am going against my father's saying of if ain't broke don't fix it but the nephew likes to try new stuff :wink: and shoots longer distances then us old timers (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Woolworth's----good one cheyenne lol

I also wondered about the 175's in the BLR and Scotty responded above to my inquiry about them

To be honest the 160 grain A Frame you are using now, will probably work as well or better than any other bullet on the market, including the Bitterroot, assuming you can find some. IMHO

yukon huntress":1y22i88x said:
Thank you gentlemen

My grandfather told me about the Bitterroot. Where do I buy them, from F. W. Woolworth or possibly Dr Mike or April have some stashed away. Actually I think Scotty has some and Jamila knows where some are at, but neither are selling them.

wildgene, is your rifle a BLR ? thank you ( your use of the 175's )

Huntress: You asked what we used; you didn't ask if they were available. :)

If you want something similar use an Aframe or a Northfork.

Back