810 yards with the 338 Lapua

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Well, made it out to do some longer range shooting with the new gun. I'm almost ashamed to admit how poorly I shot! At times it was pretty tough to see the trace and splash so wasn't sure where to correct for misses. And the wind won this battle...wasn't terribly fast but was only running at most 3-5mph at my location from 7-8 o'clock but with how much I had to dial to get on target (4MOA) was quite a bit stronger downrange. Just wasn't able to dope it very well....but I learned from it and that's why I wanted to get out and shoot at distance in varying conditions to gain the experience needed to consistently make hits at longer ranges. Anyway, here is a little video I got of a hit @ 810 yards. Load was a 300 SMK with 91 grains of H1000.

http://youtu.be/kTBwWnW-ijY

Looking through the vortex viper PST 4-16x50 on 16x
http://youtu.be/vjziZBoDmKk

It is always satisfying to see the target swing with a good hit. Neat video. Who did the camera work for you?

DrMike, A buddy of mine that got a weekend pass from the wife and wanted to come see the new big gun. And yes, it is a very satisfying site and sound!

Nicely done!
Love those big 338's. :mrgreen:

JD338

Very nice! 810 is a STRETCH! Great shooting buddy! You aren't helping me cure my 338 Lapua wants at all with that! Man, I can't wait to see you really start clanging some steel. That rifle looks really good out there!

Nice shooting - a 12" target at 800+ yards is tough, particularly in the wind.

Good job!

Very nice shooting, backing up with the cameral really gives one a great perspective. !!!

Thanks. I had plenty of misses to go along with the hit. It is pretty entertaining because you get locked into the scope so much that when you get frustrated about missing you just look over the top of the scope and think...holy crap, I'm shooting at that tiny little dot out there I can barely see with the naked eye....and then I feel better about missing it! :)

Keep at it. You will be surprised what you can accomplish.

Once you get past 600 or so... there's a lot more art than science when it comes to getting bullets on Target. Cool video...

Songdog":1ply8ucf said:
Once you get past 600 or so... there's a lot more art than science when it comes to getting bullets on Target. Cool video...
That seems to be what I'm learning....I'm really consistent out to 600 yards, but then from 700+ the % of first round hits starts dropping off pretty fast.

Shoot, measure you're rifle spin drift and make sure to account for it. The picture below showed how far the 140 grain Berger VLD from my 6.5-284 drifted at 525 yards. I was aiming at the red dot.

photo-2.jpg

nice shooting, you are going to see the more time you spend paying attention to the conditions not only at the firing position but the conditions from the firing position to the target and making an accurate assesment of what you need for correction will increase your fist round hits. holding up a wind indicator at the firing position and doping according to that usually doesnt work all that well. your 338 is just getting warmed up at that distance when you start shooting past the 1k mark you will see the true purpose of the 338 lapua. keep at it experience is one thing you cant buy.

Thanks for the replies. Wind seems to be art part of LR shooting.... Just need to get out and run more lead downrange and get the experience of knowing how it's going to affect the bullet & how terrain is going to affect the wind...darn the luck, I have to shoot MORE! 8)

Back