First time past 300 yards with .308

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Saw that the weather was great this morning and took off quick to the ranch where my farmer built a berm for me. Set up the painted 4x4 board with a paper plate tacked to it. Drove out on the field and checked distance and exactly 510 yards from my tailgate of my truck to the target. Entered data in Strelok , clicked 11.5 MOA on the ATACR , zero wind and put the first round to see where on the paper it hit. It was to the right a few inches off center but elevation was perfect so after three clicks west and let three more downrange. Bam, right smack in the center. I have never tried past 300 yards with the .308 since the private range is limited to 300 yards. Glad my farmer did me a little favor to build my own private long range berm. I got to treat him to lunch. :lol: Used 42.7 grains Varget, Lapua brass, Fed210 Match primer and the ELD X 178 grain bullet. Hopefully move up to 750 and 1,000 yards soon and see how it performs.

9Qm0lonm.jpg

Michael C. Smith":3v3ye13l said:
Nice shooting. What gun?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks, It's the .308 Crusader from GA Precision, 26 inch barrel.

DrMike":m7kif35f said:
Most gratifying, without a doubt.

Thanks Mike and Michigan. (y)

Since it shoots so great with the ELD, I have decided to put my Bergers on the back burner. :lol:

WOW! Incredible shooting. That sucker is a tackdriver, literally! Amazing stuff.

Congrats! I think that is the hugest target pic I've ever seen posted on here! My little laptop screen was groaning with the effort to scroll all over!

Great shooting! Now we need to shrink those images like we try to shrink groups. :grin:
EE2

elkeater2":3pohngec said:
Congrats! I think that is the hugest target pic I've ever seen posted on here! My little laptop screen was groaning with the effort to scroll all over!

Great shooting! Now we need to shrink those images like we try to shrink groups. :grin:
EE2

HaHa, real funny right there. Sorry. How is this one?

9Qm0lonm.jpg

The .308 is just a peach to load and shoot, and you've chosen an excellent rifle & load. Good shooting!!!! (y)

With a group like that at that range... Time for you to start competing with it!

Congrats. Guy

TackDriver284":3s3vym1l said:
elkeater2":3s3vym1l said:

EE2

HaHa, real funny right there. Sorry. How is this one?

9Qm0lonm.jpg

Hey, TD, glad you took the ribbing good! I really like your posts and pictures, and you have passed on a lot of good information. I say you are a highly skilled rifleman and a significant contributor to our forum!
EE2

Impressive shooting and group to be sure, that will hunt very nicely.

That is great shooting, really outstanding. Did you measure group size? It's hard to tell with a staple to measure by. :lol:

Elkman":2pky65y1 said:
That is great shooting, really outstanding. Did you measure group size? It's hard to tell with a staple to measure by. :lol:

HaHa, you got me laughing again. It's right under an inch, roughly .2 MOA at 510 yards.

That is some fine shooting :wink:.
That should serve you well this coming hunting season.
Thank you for the post & photo! (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Back