8mm-06

elkslayer308

Beginner
Mar 27, 2006
A while back my grampa bought a converted Mauser 98k in 8mm-06, while Nosler does have some impressive data for this gun, I am looking for something in the 220-250 grain range to shoot out of it for 200yds and minus bear and elk hunting. I have seen that Woodleigh makes a 250 grain bruiser and that Hornady and Speer used to make 200 and 225 grain softpoints for this gun. I have also considered using the 220 grain Powerpoints that Winchester designed for use in the 325 WSM as an alternative but have yet to find anywhere to buy them. This gun is drilled and tapped and I currently have a Weaver K4 on top. Does anyone know where I can find heavy 8mm slugs? With the heaviest bullets it is on par with the 338-06 and I already have a wonderful 30-06 so I dont desire to shoot anything less than a 195grain bullet. Also, data for these bigger slugs would be nice as well.

Swift and Sierra each make 220 grain bullets (A-Frame and SBT). Data for the 8mm-06 is in the current Sierra manual, as well as the current Hornady manual (including data for their discontinued 220 grain SP) and the current Speer manual. I certainly don't discount using the heavier bullet (I load the 220 grain Swift A-Frame in my 325 WSM), but the 200 grain AB or PT will hold up to any task you ask the 8mm-06 to perform. My "go-to" load in the 325 WSM uses the 200 grain Partition, and it takes down elk and moose with authority.

8mm-06 with heavy bullets sounds great, it would be a heavy hitter without a question.

I always thought a 8mm-300win mag would make a great utility wildcat. Availible 8mm Mauser with a rechamber job, presto chango 325 winchester long mag, along with plentiful and cheap 300 win brass.

Be a pretty formidible wildcat even tho it covers alot of the same ground a 300 & 338 win mags. Remarkably, the 06 case with slightly faster powder is not far behind.

I'd suspect you'll be within 100 FPS f the 325 WSM and noticably cheaper brass.

JT.

Back