8mm Remington Magnum

fishdog52

Beginner
Jun 4, 2012
We had a total loony moment recently and will be working with a Big 8 soon. As I recently drew a Maine moose tag, my partner thinks this rifle will be just right.
We have several boxes of older factory 220 gr Core lokts, but I would be happier with Partitions or an ETip on the hunt.
Anyone done any recent loading with these bullets in the Big 8, and would be willing to share some experience?
I'm not not doing a very good job of keeping up with all the new powder introductions, but some sound darn promising.

An 8mm mag will certainly get the job done. When I had mine I used the discontinued 220 hornady and 200 tsx with rl22. Both showed great accuracy and speed. I think I still have some 8mm bullets, might have to buy another 8mm mag so the bullets don't go to waste.

Haven't loaded for the big 8 in many years. However, this cartridge will get the job done. I do load for the 8X68S and the 325 WSM, either of which will deliver the goods at velocities akin to the big Remington. You will be able to kill anything you encounter with the Core Lokt bullet. However, you should have no difficulty producing a fine load with either the Partition or the E-Tip. I like both, and either has performed well for me in other cartridges. I'm really liking the E-Tip in recent days.

I killed a few deer and my first couple of elk with an 8mm Rem Mag. Back then Dad and I each had one, each model 700s. I should never have sold that gun. A very underrated cartridge.

We loaded the Sierra 220 grain Gameking, a bullet designed specifically with the 8mm Rem Mag in mind. H4831SC powder. It worked great! Stick to the book max or your own workup though, your shoulder will thank you. Dad was a bit of a hot-rodder back then when it came to handloads.

Post pics of what you come up with!!

FJ4E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I load the 200 gr AccuBond for a 8x68S for a friend and so far he was happy in Africa and on red deer in Europe.
With yours, I wouldn't use too soft bullets, unless you have to reach out very far...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

What zone did you happen to get? I've been putting in for 20 years, minus a few combat deployments and have never gotten pulled for one.

I would look at the AccuBond myself. Aim for around 3000 fps and find your accuracy. Which zone you are in will determine your shot distance for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

thatguySHM":3qc8q670 said:
What zone did you happen to get? I've been putting in for 20 years, minus a few combat deployments and have never gotten pulled for one.

I would look at the AccuBond myself. Aim for around 3000 fps and find your accuracy. Which zone you are in will determine your shot distance for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Tag is for zone 1. I had 80 preference points going into this draw as I have been trying for something around 20 years.
Since it is the late season hunt, I am thinking the opportunity for a longer range shot might come along.
My last 2 moose were at 35 and 65 yards. They have a wonderful ability to surprise me.
Thanks for the comments.

Back