9.3x62 Mauser

HAWKEYESATX":1n1gn4l9 said:
Cleveland48":1n1gn4l9 said:
The 9.3 is legal in several African countries for dangerous game. Hop over to the Africa Hunting forums, and check those guys out. The 9.3x62 is still extremely popular on those forums, and several guys take Cape buffalo yearly with it. Professional hunter Don Heath who went by his pen name Ganyana, I believe stated it was his favorite cartridge. If I’m not mistaken he took 18 Buffalo with 18 shots on a culling hunt to prove it still has the goods. I own two rifles in 9.3x62. One is a rebored Mauser 98, the other is a sauer 100 XT. Both are running 286 gr bullets at 2500-2510 FPS using big game powder, and have been devastating on whitetail. I have ran the factory Norma 232 gr ecostrike ammo which had a MV of 2630 fps with great results too. I have yet to try RL17 in either of mine yet. Both my rifles have 22” barrels. The 24hourcampfire forums have a huge list of loads with modern data running around 60,000 psi that really shows what the old cartridge can do. I know I’ve been of a 416 caliber kick here for the last year, but I’d probably say my most favorite cartridge to work with is still the 9.3x62.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BOY!!!! You weren’t kidding about the 60k psi loads in the 9.3x62.

270gr load from Real Guns, has it moving along at over 2600+ fps! That’s equal to the.375 H&H!

286gr bullet going 2535, 2550, and 2565 fps, and all over 4K ft-lbs of muzzle energy!

A 320gr bullet zipping along at 2372 fps?!? That’s freaking outstanding!!!!

Hawk
It definitely has some getup and go with modern powders. I’ve been thinking of dropping back down to 232 gr bullets for deer this year.

I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62. Feeling like Bart Simpson in front of the chalk board.
Guys!
I was happy with what I've got.
Now I have a voice in my ear whispering
"When replacing that 30-06 barrel - think about 9,3x62"
Thought about the German 7,62x57.
But...
Well. I have about a thousand shots to make up my mind.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

noslerpartition":1iry88my said:
I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62, I don't need a 9,3x62. Feeling like Bart Simpson in front of the chalk board.
Guys!
I was happy with what I've got.
Now I have a voice in my ear whispering
"When replacing that 30-06 barrel - think about 9,3x62"
Thought about the German 7,62x57.
But...
Well. I have about a thousand shots to make up my mind.

9.3x62 my friend. You need one... QD mounts for red dot during the day and switch to 8x56 for high seat and under moon...

You are no help :)
I have a 1-4 and a 3-12x56 scope for that rifle.
Red stag comes at unregular intervals.
Nothing the 30-06 can't handle. Or even the Creedmoor.
But having is better than needing...

You touch off a 286 at 2500-2600 from a 8lb 9.3 you’ll know you’ve done something. I think the beauty of the 9.3 is 375 like power with an extra round or two in the magazine and at least a pound lighter if not more. Me, I don’t know that I’d love my 9.3 pounding 286’s at nearly 2600…. Might be beyond what I thinks fun.

I only shot a 9,3 X 62 once.
Belonged to a friend and obviously he had a different geometry. I noticed that the scope was rather close to my face after the shot.
Was an Auto-Loader and the recoil wasn't bad.
Still I adjusted my head for the next shots.

SJB358":1guxkgbd said:
You touch off a 286 at 2500-2600 from a 8lb 9.3 you’ll know you’ve done something. I think the beauty of the 9.3 is 375 like power with an extra round or two in the magazine and at least a pound lighter if not more. Me, I don’t know that I’d love my 9.3 pounding 286’s at nearly 2600…. Might be beyond what I thinks fun.
You got that right, it does have a pretty good amount of recoil.

Yeah, if it’s pumped up that much, you’re definitely going to know it’s there! LOL

When I had my .375 H&H a long time ago, it was an Interarms MkX with a beautiful walnut stock.
I touched that thing off, and it had recoil, but felt more like a deep shove than a mule kick like the smaller magnums had. But, then again, that was me.

I like that a 22 inch barrel is quite enough for the souped up loads!
That cartridge is amazingly efficient!

Hawk

I guess it depends a bunch on speeds. The 300's at 2400 were quite nice to shoot honestly. I have a feeling the same 300's from the 375 at 2700-2800 would be another story...

Same goes for the 9.3. When I started I was using 250 AB's at 2400. It was absolutely fun to shoot. Bump them up to 2600-2700 and they have a bunch more pop to em.. Nice thing is you can load them how you want them.

SJB358":2nllqh21 said:
I guess it depends a bunch on speeds. The 300's at 2400 were quite nice to shoot honestly. I have a feeling the same 300's from the 375 at 2700-2800 would be another story...

Same goes for the 9.3. When I started I was using 250 AB's at 2400. It was absolutely fun to shoot. Bump them up to 2600-2700 and they have a bunch more pop to em.. Nice thing is you can load them how you want them.
I absolutely agree with you there.

I’m of the thinking, and my own limitations of felt recoil, that if I can get a little more than factory velocities, I’m a happy camper.

Knowing me, though, I’m going to push some rounds to the .375 equivalent, just to see what it can do and feel like! LOL

Hawk

While you can get higher velocities with the various bullets in the 9.3x62, the question comes down to whether or not you need the velocity, and are happy with mid-range performance at a recoil level that remains fun to shoot?

While I am not hunting cape buffalo here in northern Canada, the moose, elk and bison that I will be hunting are not going to to know that they weren't hammered with a 300gr bullet at 2600 fps when they are harvested cleanly with a 250 gr AB at approx. 2550 fps and 3600 ft-lbs of energy, that is comfortable on the shoulder and can be placed accurately on target.

I guess it also why I opted for the 376 Steyr and a pushing the 260 gr AccuBond at 2632 fps and 4000 ft-lbs of energy out of my 21" barreled rifle. The rifle is a pussycat to shoot off the bench and has cleanly harvested elk and bison, and will produce groups just a hair over 1/2" at 100 yards.

And why I am only pushing the 350gr bullet out of my 416 Taylor at approx. 2400 fps right now.

Yes, I know that I can push these faster, and also use heavier bullets, but right now, I do not need either, and they are fun to shoot and performing admirably on large game. And as I get older, my shoulder appreciates less pounding.

Luckily, silencers are legal in Germany now.
So if I go for a 9,3, half of the kick will be absorbed by a can
Still not sure if I need that cartridge.
Well. I am sure I don't.
But if we only buy what we need, gun-dealers would be out of business

HAWKEYESATX":2bwx002k said:
I know some of you have the 9.3x62 on here.

I just realized, that if I ever make it over to Africa, that the 9.3x62 is the minimum cartridge in several countries there.

So, what has been your experience with the round?
Would a 22 inch barrel be a detriment to the cartridge?

Plus, if I have a thumper like that, I’m going to use it here in the States as well.
I’m wondering what range of game I can use it on here?

I await the wisdom of those who already have it.

Hawk

Before I answer this....... What is the status of the 35 whelen?????

HAWKEYESATX":2dmw8vb4 said:
@SJB358

What other powders do you think would do well in the 9.3x62?

Do you think CFE223 and StaBall 6.5 might do well in the case?

Do the powders that work well in the 35 Whelen work well in the 9.3x62?

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
. Rl15

FOTIS":1mfy94x1 said:
HAWKEYESATX":1mfy94x1 said:
I know some of you have the 9.3x62 on here.

I just realized, that if I ever make it over to Africa, that the 9.3x62 is the minimum cartridge in several countries there.

So, what has been your experience with the round?
Would a 22 inch barrel be a detriment to the cartridge?

Plus, if I have a thumper like that, I’m going to use it here in the States as well.
I’m wondering what range of game I can use it on here?

I await the wisdom of those who already have it.

Hawk

Before I answer this....... What is the status of the 35 whelen?????
Ooooh! I’m still getting the 35 Whelen barrel!

Hawk

I know, I know….

Maybe my logic is skewed, but I want the .35 Whelen for here in the U.S.
I want the 9.3x62 for that once in a lifetime trip that I hopefully make to Africa.
I would of course book a trip where the 9.3x62 is legal to hunt water buffalos.
I know they’re pretty much ballistic twins, but so what?!?
With the 9.3x62, I can shoot heavier bullets than the Whelen.

Hawk

The 286gr Partition is the perfect billet in the 9.3x62. The 270 Speer is too soft for big game. I’ve taken moose out to 300 yards with the Partition at 2500fps and the swift a frame is another excellent bullet.

My 9.3 is built on a p17 enfield in scout configuration, it’s a very versatile hunting setup.

a78b76edecfde21ed40a3878868c86af.jpg

Thebear_78":ve1hev05 said:
The 286gr Partition is the perfect billet in the 9.3x62. The 270 Speer is too soft for big game. I’ve taken moose out to 300 yards with the Partition at 2500fps and the swift a frame is another excellent bullet.

My 9.3 is built on a p17 enfield in scout configuration, it’s a very versatile hunting setup.

a78b76edecfde21ed40a3878868c86af.jpg

Oh! Man!
That old warhorse has a new purpose! That looks awesome!

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":25t829yz said:
I know, I know….

Maybe my logic is skewed, but I want the .35 Whelen for here in the U.S.
I want the 9.3x62 for that once in a lifetime trip that I hopefully make to Africa.
I would of course book a trip where the 9.3x62 is legal to hunt water buffalos.
I know they’re pretty much ballistic twins, but so what?!?
With the 9.3x62, I can shoot heavier bullets than the Whelen.

Hawk

Skewed logic in the forum full of enablers??? Do I have to remind you that some of us use a 416 weatherby to kill antelope in Wyoming? You live in Texas I would be shooting hogs with a 460 weatherby just to spite them

Back