A Bruising Day Tomorrow

Rod,

That is a public facility. It consists of trap and skeet facilities, archery range, a walking range for black powder and/or archery, a handgun range with a heated shack, a small bore range, a 100 yard big bore range with a heated shack, and a 400 yard range (where I usually shoot). It has a club house, playground equipment for the children and the usual storage facilities. All-in-all, it is a decent range.

Here is a picture of part of the range facilities.

P3310078.jpg

From left to right are the 400 yard range, the 100 yard range, the small bore range and the handgun range. Trap and skeet are at the upper left of the picture, just out of camera range.

POP and JD338,

Thank you for your kind words. It is always easier to shoot well when you have quality instruments. I confess that ballistics turns my crank. The Ruger Hawkeye is a fine rifle, which makes shooting somewhat easier. Based on my experience, I'd buy a 375 Ruger. In fact, I did briefly consider it last winter. However, I'm really focused on my next big rifle being a 9.3 X 64 Brenneke.

Mike, your 300WSM looks great, it also looks really promising on the target! Seems like those Fail Safes are shooting really well out of it. Any idea on speeds? When the Fail Safes shoot, seems like they are excellent bullet, I still have a box of 230gr FS for my 338. Scotty

Scotty,

The velocity was 2976 +/- 8. It was a good, tight load. Even as I increased the charge, the SD was single digit. However, the groups opened up to about 1.5 inches. The load does appear to hold potential. I haven't worked up with the E-Tips yet, but I hope to generate some data shortly for both the 168 and 180 grain E-Tips.

Very nice range DrMike, I was toying with a custom 6.5 X 284 but will likely just keep what I have for awhile. I would like to pick up one big gun maybe a 338 winnie in a lefty.
It looks like we are getting rid of the hunting cabin and bought a acreage about 4 miles from Somme.
There is going to be a lot of work for the first year but were are going to build our own range out to 750 yards and we will have our own walk in cooler.
The property is about 12 acres with a 1140 square foot house along with a barn, 30 X 60 quonset and a few other buildings. The basement had about 18" of water in it for quite awhile but with the group we have it will look like new after a few weekends:)

Out of curiousity, is that "your" own range facility or a public/club?

Rod,

We have discussed building a 700 yard range, which would be a private facility strictly for the use of the staff of Rocky Mountain Rifles to test the long-range stuff. Finding facilities that permit 1000 yard shoots in this immediate area is difficult for a variety of reasons.

Dan,

The range you propose would be nice, and it would certainly allow you to unlimber the legs on a 6.5 X 284.

Evening Doc,

Yep, a very nice public facility and that sure would be the cats meow if you got hooked up with a 700 yd private facility. Sure do like reading your stuff and seeing your pix... Thanks for all you do here on the board!!

Rod

Thank you for your kind words, Rod. I enjoy the forum; the people that hang out here make it special. The Dawson Creek Sportsman's Club has built a good facility for shooters. It has given me a good opportunity to pursue a past-time that I truly enjoy, and that I find challenging. Hopefully, we will complete work on the longer range during the next year or so.

DrMike

Looks like you had a great day. Its always nice to have some knowledge and experience when doing load development. That could have been a veryyyyyyyyyyyyy long day especially with three rifles. Seems to have went very smooth from my prospective.
I really like this forum because with a little sleuthing I can find a load in a caliber that works for somebody else and then use it for a starting point. Thanks for sharing.

DrMike,

Beautiful facility! Nice to have wood heat on the cold winter days!
Good luck with the 9.3 X 64 Brenneke build. keep us posted.

JD338

Beautiful facility! Nice to have wood heat on the cold winter days!
Good luck with the 9.3 X 64 Brenneke build. keep us posted.

I am blessed to be in an area with such a facility. I seldom use the enclosed shack. Until it reaches -15, I just shoot in the outdoor facility. After that, even though I build a fire, the solvents tend to freeze pretty quickly when the windows are open to shoot. We are gathering funds to build an indoor range that will permit some shooting out of the clubhouse. Ventilation is the big problem, but we are working on it. I will indeed keep you posted on the Brenneke. However, I don't anticipate any real progress until this Fall. For now, I'm gathering parts.

DrMike
It may be a tough job but you can handle it. :wink:

That's a very nice range you are using. Far better than most of us are used to but you do have weather extreems to deal with and you need all the deluxe you can get.
It sounds like you do a lot of building, customizing and break in along with load development. It's not surprising you're on the cutting edge of all the new and fun rifles and related toys. It also sounds like you go thru a constant cycle of rifes and calibers like several of us do. Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite moose/elk rifles and calibers and why?
Thank you for sharing all the valuable info and neat pictures.
Greg

Greg,

I don't do the building or customising of the rifles. We have several great gun makers and some skilled tool and die makers toiling away in the back room of the shop. All I do is shoot what they give me and work up loads for the rifles they send my way. It has turned into a delightful job, I do confess.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the range with a 7mm RM (ballistic work-up), a 270 Win (proofing with factory ammunition) and the 460 Weatherby (loading and proofing at 100 yards). I'll probably pack along my 375 Win for grins and giggles. Right now the weather is beautiful (sunny and highs of c. 25C) and the winds tend to be calm, making for some pleasant shooting.

We will shortly have our 700 yard private range up and running, which will add a whole new dimension to the load development work we do. Also, we'll be doing quite a bit more long range ballistic work for customers requesting that service. I'm less enthusiastic about this because of time constraints, but the opportunity to do the work is hard to pass.

Your question about my favourite elk/moose cartridge is a hard question for me to answer, primarily because I would be very comfortable with about anything from a 270 on up. Either the .356 (Model 94 with either 220 grain Speer Hot Core or 250 grain Kodiak Bonded Core) or the .358 (either a BLR or a Ruger Hawkeye loaded with either 200 grain TSX or 225 grain PTs) is just plain fun for elk and moose (or black bear, or grizzly or mule deer), but I know that I will either need to sneak close or I will need to call animals in close if I want to use these cartridges. Accordingly, I really like the WSMs because they allow me to reach out there and touch something when needed. The 325 WSM (with a 200 grain PT) seems about ideal from the game I've dropped so far with it. In every instance it hit hard and resulted in a clean kill. However, in fairness, the 300 WSM (with 180 grain Fail Safe) has worked equally well on both moose and elk. I've taken quite a few moose and elk with the 7mm RM (with a 175 grain TBBC or a 160 grain Fail Safe); it has never required much thinking--just point and shoot. Though I haven't taken either moose or elk with my 7mm WSM (loaded with 160 grain ABs), the performance on whitetail and on mule deer have left no doubt that it would work very well indeed on the larger cousins. Now, there is a straight-forward way of straddling the fence! :grin:

I've used all these cartridges and more, and they each worked very well indeed. I have yet to use my 35 Whelan, but I have no doubt that it will work very well when the time comes for it to be blooded. Right now I'm loading 225 grain TSX in this rifle. My 270 WSM (with a 130 grain E-tip) was blooded last fall with a very nice moose; and while I was hesitant to use such a light calibre, it performed extremely well on a large moose. Undoubtedly, it would work just as well on a good bull elk if I do my part. I wouldn't hesitate to use my 30-06 or my 280 on these larger beasts if called to do so, but generally I've reserved these cartridges for whitetail, mule deer and black bear. Each shoots very accurately, and with a good bullet, they will definitely take moose and elk cleanly.

Back