A meeage to the good folks at Nosler !

tjRoberts

Beginner
Dec 3, 2007
I recently bought my self a savage 99 in .358 winchester. I have been wailting for my dies to come UPS for awhile. Doing tons of reserch on loads.
I have also noticed that Ruger is making .358s in 2 versions of the hawkeye , as well as a couple of there short barreld scout type rifles.
And , Ruger has done another limited run of 35 Whelens and remington, has sold quite a lot of the Model 700 CDLs in the Whelen as well.
There is even a new Model 7 CDL available in the old .350 rem mag.
Not a custom shop rifle, a regular model 7.
I think all these cartridges and rifles currantly on the market offer a great chance to finaly get the American Hunters to sit up and take notice of 35 caliber rifles.
Or possibly this is an indication this has already happend !
Mabye, some new 35 caliber bullets and or factory ammo would be a good Idea ? In my opinion the 225 grain acubond is a great bullet for a rifle with a long enough magazine, but its not practicle in my savage,
The .225 grain Partition Will make a real good bullet for Elk or moose, if I can drive them to a decent speed, and of course the 250 grain Partition is dynomite for My Whelen and or less comon rounds like the .358 Norma and .358 STA.
But for hunting deer and black bear, at modest range, I would love to see a 200 grain Partition, or better yet a flat base.
At this time, unless I have acuracy problems with it, the 200 grain Hornady interlock seems like the best bullet on the market for medium game like mule deer and black bear in the .358 Winchester , and a darned good one in the Whelen and or .350 Rem mag too.
I shoot tons of nosler bullets and have nothing but respect for your products.
But frankly in an awfull lot of hunting situations a standard spitzer or semi spitzer bullet , or even a round nose works great.
Especialy in lower velocity rounds like the non belted 35s. and the ever popular 45/70
I would love to see some suport for the risky steps made when a rifle company builds a rifle in a somwhat obscure caliber like the .358 and the Whelen.
But I can't disount the risk and investment involved with prouducing new bullets. But I think the production of a couple factory rounds in .358 win might finaly popularize the round.
Shoot, you already make the .308 brass. ( very nice brass too) why not neck some up and see if you can get 2400 FPS out of the 225 grain Partition. and do the same at 2650 or so with the Whelen ?
I know building a cup and core type bullet might not be a good Idea with some states banning led bullets and all, but the 2 ideas abouve would sure be cool !
And I can't close this post without mentioning how happy I am with your suport for another of my favorite rounds, the .257 Roberts.
From what I read , the Kimber rifles so chamberd are selling quite well.
Hey ! mabye a nosler rifle in the Whelen or the .358 win would be a great Idea ! . If you build one or the other please put a classy set of back up sights on it...tj3006

tjRoberts

Good post. I agree with you, a .358 cal 200 gr PT and AB with Protected Points would both be winners!

JD338

Add my voice to a request for 200 Partitions and/or 200 grain AB. I shoot a fair amount of Nosler Partitions in 225 grain in my 350 RM and my 358 Win. I intend to work up loads for my 35 Whelen with 225 grain ABs. A 200 grain bullet would be just the ticket. The 358 likes the 200 grain TSX, and I would gladly trade that for a 200 grain Partition or AB.

JD338":zjk6mbjf said:
tjRoberts

Good post. I agree with you, a .358 cal 200 gr PT and AB with Protected Points would both be winners!

JD338

+1 here also, that would be cool. I take mine tomorrow if Nosler would not mind :)

Same here!

My whelen is covered but the two 35 cartridges I need NOSLERs for is the 358win and 35rem.

The 350rem/358win shares the same need for s shorter length protected point AccuBond in 200 or 215 or 225gr. The 225gr Partition works for most 358win guns but not all.

And the 35rem needs its own bullet with out compermise a 200gr flat point AccuBond would be just right if made stricly for the 35rems velocities (1900-2200fps MV).

I have found the 200gr Rem CLRN to be superior to the Hornady RN for both low velcity expantion and high velocity (+2400fps mv) wieght retention. Its best for the 35rem at 200 yards and best for the 358win at 30 yards.

Hope that helps some. But some new Noslers would be very nice.

tjen,

A 200 grain flatpoint in .358 would be just the ticket for my .356s.

post I mentioned a flat base bullet for slower calibers like the Whelen the .358 Win and the 45/70.
I ment to say , a solid base.
Today, I bought 100 partitions for my .257 weatherby and 100, 150 grain E-tips for my .308 and 30,06s.
As I said before I love nosler Products, and leupold scopes. Being an Oregonian , I feel good bying home grown products.
But some times a decent cup and core bullet will do the job extreemly well.
Sort of wish nosler made some.
...tj3006

Nosler,

What do you say about a .358 cal 200 gr AB Protected Point?

JD338

DrMike":3bar3749 said:
tjen,

A 200 grain flatpoint in .358 would be just the ticket for my .356s.

I know it would be great. The rem is a little slow at 150-200 yards and I still want great expantion for its 200 yard velocity. Something the Speers don't offer at 35rem 200 yards velocities. But the 356win has that extra boost to make them work. My actual limit for the rem is 150yards after that its the 358win and may be the whelen.

A 200gr flatpoint AccuBond with a thin front jacket and its extra heavy lower jacket would do both cartridges fine. Cannelure in the same spot I think. I think we just like Nosler "A".

So if I get this right the cartridge list is 358/350rem 200-225gr protected point for its shorter OAL. 35win/356win/35rem 200gr flat tip in AccuBond for its ability to handle muzzle velocities from 2400-1900 fps. I caught the soild base but the accubonds are still affordable as compared to the Partition. If the 35win requires its own bullet in solid base 3 new 358 cal nosler bullets would still be pretty nice.

Here is another vote for a 200gr Protected Point AccuBond. I have both a 35 Whelen and a 358 Winchester. The 358 with a 200gr AccuBond would work pretty well I think. Ever a 200gr Partition would be nice for the shorter .358's. Since the Partition is fairly soft up front, it would be an excellent performer on big game at these moderate speeds. Scotty

Back