A Songdog... for Songdog.

Songdog

Handloader
Apr 6, 2009
On my way home from Cheyenne this morning I ran out to talk with a couple ranchers I know are calving now (not the actuall ranchers... the ranchers' cows). Spotted a coyote right as I turned east off 85... he was right on the side of the road and headed out poste haste. Glassed up a couple more on some property I don't have permission on... yet. Then meandered my way to the property...

Anyway... I was chatting with this old rancher friend of mine when I look up on the hill and say to myself: "Self, that bush wasn't there a minute ago". Threw up the binoc... low and behold... a big dog just meandering across the hill about 1/2 mile out. I grabbed "Tom Swifty" and the sneak was on. I closed the gap to just under 400 yards and ran out of cover. The dog had no idea I was there... so I dialled 3" on the 6.5-20 Leupold, settled in, deep breath... WHAMMY... dog down. The Rem .700 VSSF .220 Swift launched that little 50 grain NBT out of the 24" barrel at just a tickle under 4k (42.5 grains RE-17)... hit him just behind the first rib on the entrance side... angled through the vitals and piled into the off-side shoulder... didn't exit, but it definatley busted some stuff up in that shoulder. Nice big male, about 35lbs (pushing 80lbs after I packed him 1/2 mile)... still pretty red, though he was starting to fur-up decent. Rancher buddy was pretty stoked.

Here's the dog and "Tom Swifty"...
pawneedog.jpg

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. That 220 Swift is one fine cartridge, and you've done it proud.

DrMike":1khb763l said:
That 220 Swift is one fine cartridge, and you've done it proud.

Been without one for a looooong time... forgot how nice it was. I remember buying a 700 Classic when they made the run of them in .220 Swift... that was a good gun too. The Swift is to the .22-250 what the 6mm Rem is to the .243... not just faster... but way cooler.

This is just the second coyote I've killed with this particular gun (the first one was a scraggly little pup)... I just got it a month or two ago. A business partner of mine traded the rifle... and glass... and dies... and 300 rounds of brass.... to me for, get this... 1000 rounds of .22-250. Yep, that's right... about $650 worth of components and 12 hours of my time. Pretty sweet deal...

The rifle actually has the factory porting... only seen it in person on one other VSSF, and that one was in .308. You can actually see the ports in the picture if you look closely. There is zero recoil... you can watch prairrie dogs expolode in the glass... full frontal nudity! It's a cool gun, especially with the VariX-III LR 6.5-20... side focus, 30mm tube, turrets... what's not to love?

Can't wait to get out and clobber some more dogs... next Thursday can't get here quick enough.

That rifle was a steal! Good job. Great cartridge that fails to get the respect it deserves. Now my addiction is kicking in. Where is 6mm Remington when I need him to talk me out of this notion?

Larry in SD":kg0bsli0 said:
Congrats, on a job well done. That must have been a rush for you (but not for the Coyote).

Larry

Nothing in hunting gets me more pumped than a spot & stalk coyote kill. I've killed hundreds of coyotes... but it just never gets old. Apparently the "law of diminishing returns" doesn't apply to coyote hunting.

I've always prefered glassing and sneaking in on dogs to blind calling, in the country that I hunt it seems more effective... and it's great practice for muley and pronghorn hunting.

Wow...great looking yote! Love the Swift as well. Never have owned one, but a varminting buddy shoots a #1 all the time for p-dogs in South Dakota. He always seems to win the "highest lift off the ground contest" with skippy :lol: . I have the same scope on my .204 Cooper and love the way you can dial in your distances with it.

Back