AB corrosion

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I have 100 180 30 cal AccuBonds and there is corrosion near the tip. I am guessing this will not affect flight or performance but does anyone know why they are doing this? They have been stored in a zip-lock bag from day one.

I am guessing it is not from me touching them. One packet is unopened from the factory and they turned also.

Yes, that's due to the bonding process, and yes, it will effect their performance.
Contact the proshop and they will make it right for you.

Ziplock bags are not hermetically sealed and will aspirate air back and forth through the bag surface and the seal area. Probably humidity and dielectric corrosion has caused the discoloration in the tip area of the bullets where air has access to the lead/copper bond. It is probably a good idea to store bullets in a heated area of the house.

Oldtrader3":2cpixx6q said:
Ziplock bags are not hermetically sealed and will aspirate air back and forth through the bag surface and the seal area. Probably humidity and dielectric corrosion has caused the discoloration in the tip area of the bullets where air has access to the lead/copper bond. It is probably a good idea to store bullets in a heated area of the house.

That is very interesting. If this is true then anytime you take say 10 rounds out with you on a hunt and come back could then end up having a corrosion problem after that? If this is true it will definately make my mind up with just staying with the Partitions and no even trying the AB's.

I've read about this . if I remember correctly the bullets were not washed correctly after the corrosive bonding process . I don't think it's a weather induced issue . also I think the corrosion was supposed to be damaging , or deteriorating , the plastic tips . do you have any of the plastic tips laying in the bag , that appear to be broken off ? it's been a while since I read about this , so my memory is a little foggy . I agree with antelope sniper , Nosler will probably make this right with you .

I'm only using Accubonds in one rifle and I laid in my stock of bullets four or five years ago. I don't shoot the Whelen often...maybe I should have a look at my loaded ammo and my bullets.

I have Partitions loaded in a snap lock cartridge box that have been there for ten years and there is no corrosion. I have Partitions that have been in their original boxes (plastic) for 25 years and they are fine. Accubonds are new and I do not have any old ones.

The AB's use a flux agent fir the bonding process that is washed off. It would appear that these didn't get the proper cleaning.
Call Mike Harris, Nosler Customer Service and he will take good care of you.

JD338

Here is what I got back from Nosler in an email today.

You said “180 30 cal AccuBonds seconds and I noticed that there is corrosion near the tip of the bullet. “ This corrosion sometimes shows up as a result of the Bonding process . It is only a visual defect.

Michael Seay
Customer Service

Would you leave it alone or call them? I don't want to be "that" customer that is a PITA.

Richardca99 that is why I am only worried about performance on game. I really don't expect Nosler to send me replacements on seconds. I just want to make sure that when I shoot at a nice buck next month the bullet is going to do the job. I have some factory firsts that I plan to use but have some 2nds loaded up as extra rounds.

WT, you've been given the correct answer twice.

Seconds is for cosmetic blems only. This issue WILL AFFECT ACCURACY. (I know I've seen it on paper), and is not a cosmetic blem. If you pick up the phone and call the Noser Proshop they will make it right for you.

Back