Accubond inpact velocity on deer?

M W

Beginner
Dec 4, 2004
How fast is too fast? I'm interested in the 25 cal. bullet for my 25 WSM wildcat. I will be hunting blacktails with them and my shots might be close. Would I be better off using the partitions? The partitions don't shoot very well in my gun but for upclose it probably doesn't matter. I've used the ballistic tips and got excellent accuracy but they are much to explosive up close at high velocities.

Thanks

I am curious as to what this is as well. Some are saying that 3,000 fps
is max when using the AccuBond for hunting. Is this true?
If so, I would think this would be counter productive as you have to go lighter with the AccuBond because its to long. If that's the case lighter obviously means higher velocities.

???

I fired a 200 grain .308 AccuBond through the front shoulder of a bull elk at about 40 yards. Muzzle velocity was approx 3000 fps. Bullet retained better than 50% after pulverizing the shoulder in to wet bone dust, going through the ribs and taking out his breathing gear.

Brother in law fired a 180 grain .308 AccuBond through the spine of a bull elk at about 70 yards. Muzzle velocity as approx. 3450 fps. Bullet retained better that 50% after making mush out of the spine and coming to rest in the hide on the off side. Two more shots through the boiler room for insurance. No extraordinary damage, but didn't get either of those back.

3000 -3400 fps...we didn't see much difference in the end result...and neither one of will hesitate to use them again...on anything. :grin:

su35":gjycrxse said:
Some are saying that 3,000 fps is max when using the AccuBond for hunting. Is this true?
I would say no, that is not true. My testing has shown the AccuBond gives amazingly consistant results over a huge range of velocities (it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between one fired in medium at really high velocity and one fired at a much lower velocity). I doubt you'll ever find a bullet that's more consistant in this mannor.

So far limited experience on game (including impacts above 3000 fps) has seemed to agree, although no bullets have been recovered.

I'd say launch them as fast as you can, they'll do the job. They'll lose a little more weight, but you don't need to worry about them "blowing up" and penetration stopping. But keep in mind, they will do more damage at higher velocities if that's what you're worried about--that's even true for Barnes X's if you launch them fast enough.

Have you ever tried any of the Barnes XBT bullets? I am thinking of trying the 30 cal in 165 gr in my 300 RUM. The 165 seems to perform a little better that the 150 at the velocities I think I can reach. I wish there was a 165 AccuBond. :cry: Maybe next year.

I've used the 25 cal 115 Gr. triple shock. It definately doesn't blow up and makes a nice neat hole right through. It, however, didn't seem to drop the deer very quickly. I'm only basing this on one kill so my results are far from definative but here in western Washington the cover gets real thick and nasty real quick. If the animal has a chance to wander very far it can be very tough to find. Oh well, I guess this calls for more testing next year. It's a rough job but somebodies got to do it.

Try the 110 gr 257 AccuBond. ( www.midwayusa.com )

Layne Simpson used the 100 gr Ballistic Tips in his 257 STW (8mm rem mag case necked down to .257"). Now, these averaged 3800-3900 fps and he claimed they worked well on long range antelope and deer. Now knowing that, I would say you should have no problem whatsoever from the 25 WSM with Accubonds (not BT's) to boot!

I have no doubts about the ballistic tips effectiveness at long range. It's the up close and personal shots that worry me. I'm sure the AccuBond is going to be a much better choice for me for the closer shots and still perform well at long range.

M W":230y1x6y said:
I have no doubts about the ballistic tips effectiveness at long range. It's the up close and personal shots that worry me. I'm sure the AccuBond is going to be a much better choice for me for the closer shots and still perform well at long range.

I thoroughly understand you. I used a 140 BT out of my 7 STW (3500 fps) and took a rather large buck running towards me (at an angle) at a little over 100 yds. I nailed him in the neck and bullet (or remains of same) exited the right rib cage. Based on this and other analogous examples that I have experienced I would say you will be ok with the AB under all circumstances. :grin:

AccuBond is better at those up close and personal shots.

If you are unsure or question it, don't even bother. Shoot Partition. :grin:

I shot a 300RUM 200gr AB at 3100fps and held up beautifully, I guess. I never recovered the bullet this year.

My rifle doesn't seem to shoot the partitions very well. I'd like to find a bullet that is a tack driver at long range, knocks em dead up close and way out there, and cost about 50 cents a box. Is that too much to ask?(Just kidding)

I like these new plastic tipped bullets even for short range. As far as deer go it will blast them good. That's what I like to do.

These new AB's and the Interbonds are what I want.

Back