Accubond Jump?

rodell, Thanks for the info. I had read some where maybe in one of my old manuals or a gun rag that this was how to find the length of your chamber, short of a chamber cast which would tell you exactly what the length is. The Hornady tool is nice and I think you can send them a case fired in your chamber to be modified for use with the tool but I'm not sure since I read that somewhere also.

My rifle likes 160 AB's at .060" off the lands.

And that is measured with the Hornady tool and a case that I modified myself.

The mag box of the Nosler rifle will fit 3.425".... 3.400" is in the lands with the 160 AccuBond.

truck driver":6xdep5v7 said:
rodell, Thanks for the info. I had read some where maybe in one of my old manuals or a gun rag that this was how to find the length of your chamber, short of a chamber cast which would tell you exactly what the length is. The Hornady tool is nice and I think you can send them a case fired in your chamber to be modified for use with the tool but I'm not sure since I read that somewhere also.

I make my own modified cases for ones I can't buy. I drill them out and then tap them for the threads of the OAL gauge. Pretty easy. Did it for the new and a few others. I'd have to look at the sizes of the bit and tap but it's a decent way to fly for some of the reasons Jim mentioned above.

About half my OAL gauges are homemade. Couldn't be otherwise with some of the European cases I insist on loading.

Yesterday morning I fired off a sub 1/2moa group in my featerweight .270 win with a 130 AccuBond and IMR-4451 with the bullet jump being 0.124.

rodell":39vgimct said:
As usual, the net.wisdom here was right. I found very tight groups with an OCW charge at .080" and .050" from the lands. I was way too close before with the AccuBond.

I ended up with 61.3 grains of MRP (or RL-22, if you prefer) and a solid load.

I found in Lapua cases this load is too compressed to load consistent lengths. With the depth needed for the AB and my stash of Lapua cases I'm going to try something a bit faster, probably 4451.

It works fine in Federal cases, though.

rodell":l8h4uxap said:
rodell":l8h4uxap said:
As usual, the net.wisdom here was right. I found very tight groups with an OCW charge at .080" and .050" from the lands. I was way too close before with the AccuBond.

I found in Lapua cases this load is too compressed to load consistent lengths. With the depth needed for the AB and my stash of Lapua cases I'm going to try something a bit faster, probably 4451.

rodell , when I was using a highly compressed load I had trouble with the powder pushing the bullet back out . my case length would grow a lot by just letting the ammo set over night . all I needed to do is run the ammo back through the seating die the next day, and my case length would stay the same then . just something I ran into and thought it might help you .

I wasn't trying to step on anybodys toes with my post questioning the hornady tool . sorry if I came off that way . Jim

jimbires":30bcar2l said:
I wasn't trying to step on anybodys toes with my post questioning the hornady tool . sorry if I came off that way . Jim

It's all good info Jim. It's good to know tricks with these tools.

Jim I can't see where there were any toes stepped on, sometimes we agree to disagree and that's a good thing. I've set here looking over this post and realized that I've been reloading with info and techniques from what many would consider the dark ages of reloading and made good accurate ammo.We didn't have the Hornady tools that we have today or any of the electronic ballistic programs we use.
Trying to find the right seating depth for the .358 200gr AB has been a challenge.
I started to see a difference in seating depth from bullet to bullet using the Hornady comparator and measuring off the ogave. I was getting readings from 2.550" to 2.530", the seater stem was set to give a OAL of 2.537". The load is slightly compressed, cases had been freshly annealed so neck tension should have been consistent. To get consistent seating depth I had to adjust the seater stem for each bullet.
Before I got the comparator I was satisfied with measuring off the bullet tip and once the stem was set I ran with it and was happy with the results. Now I check each one to make sure they are all the same. I went from trusting what I was doing to questioning what my end product was.
Is this really all necessary to make good hunting ammo?

jimbires":2bzup8nj said:
rodell":2bzup8nj said:
rodell":2bzup8nj said:

rodell , when I was using a highly compressed load I had trouble with the powder pushing the bullet back out . my case length would grow a lot by just letting the ammo set over night . all I needed to do is run the ammo back through the seating die the next day, and my case length would stay the same then . just something I ran into and thought it might help you .

I had enough neck tension to hold, but no ability to seat consistently. I'm fastidious about length and it varied too much for my liking. I was basically taking a small amount of copper off the jacket with the seating stem. Not a good thing.

rodel , I don't want to hyjack your thread , but I want to say something to these guys . some guys don't like to be questioned on their tools or technique . I didn't want anyone to feel I was putting them down . I knew Scotty would know what I was questioning . he is a smart reloader .

truck driver , I've been reloading for close to 40 years ,self taught , and I learn something fairly often . it reminds me of when my son was young playing video games . he always talked about making it to the next level . heck what I think I know now , compared to what I knew when I started , I'm surprised I could hit a 100 yard target . my next door neighbors grandson is starting to reload . he is about 25 years old . he comes over and talks to me about long rang shooting , and wanting to go with me . when we can get together I'll take him . I've offered to help him get started reloading , but in his mind he has it ALL figured out and doesn't really need any help . I mean after all he been doing it for about 2 months . when he leaves I have to chuckle . take care fellas .

"I've offered to help him get started reloading , but in his mind he has it ALL figured out and doesn't really need any help . I mean after all he been doing it for about 2 months . when he leaves I have to chuckle . take care fellas ."

The most knowledgable reloaders in the world are those who just finished their first 100 rounds. :roll:
Paul B.

PJGunner":392aufbq said:
The most knowledgable reloaders in the world are those who just finished their first 100 rounds. :roll:
Paul B.

Well said, Paul; very well said. (y)

Back