Accubond Tip?

steve4102

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I have two boxes of 30 Caliber, 200 gr Accubonds that the white tips are brittle and crumble to the touch.

Anyone else have a problem with these tip falling apart, or did I get a bad batch?

I had the same issue with the Ballistic Tips in the past, I called Nosler and sent them pictures of those bullet tips and they sent me a new batch. They mentioned that it was an old batch that I had. Give them a call.

I had the same issue with two boxes of .257 Accubonds...e-mailed Nosler who advised they were an old batch...six years old. Some of the problems we have with dealers here selling old stock.
They shot just as well as good bullets, but I only used them on paper.
I reckon around 15% of each box was affected.
Nosler didn't do anything, but then in the UK I didn't really expect them to. :roll:

Thanks guys.

I sent Nosler an email about this.

They graciously offered to replace them.

They said that the lot numbers showed they are over 5 years old.

Is there a expiration date on these Tipped Bullets? I just checked my stock and my cases of loaded ammo, some well over 5 years old and the "Ballistic" tips are still fine, not brittle at all. Is there a difference in material between the BT and the AccuBond?

ElmerThud":2qe48x9m said:
I had the same issue with two boxes of .257 Accubonds...e-mailed Nosler who advised they were an old batch...six years old. Some of the problems we have with dealers here selling old stock.
They shot just as well as good bullets, but I only used them on paper.
I reckon around 15% of each box was affected.
Nosler didn't do anything, but then in the UK I didn't really expect them to. :roll:

Had the same experience years ago. Tip or no tip they shot about the same. No one hole groups, but they didn’t do any worse.
These were purchased in a lot from another party. Didn’t have enough to be worried about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same issue I had with 3 boxes of 30 cal 200g ABs from 2 years ago. Still haven't called them to get my replacements...But they will always usually take care of you. Great folks at Nosler.

steve4102":u02uxe52 said:
Thanks guys.

I sent Nosler an email about this.

They graciously offered to replace them.

They said that the lot numbers showed they are over 5 years old.

Is there a expiration date on these Tipped Bullets? I just checked my stock and my cases of loaded ammo, some well over 5 years old and the "Ballistic" tips are still fine, not brittle at all. Is there a difference in material between the BT and the AccuBond?

Interesting question, and I simply don't know the answer! I've never had a problem with AccuBond or Ballistic Tip bullet tips, but I know that others have. From what I understand most of the tip problems stemmed from one particular worker at Nosler, who was trying to speed things up. I dunno.

Guy

Well crap. I have 3 boxes of .30 cal 165 grain. Dang I hope they aren’t that way. I’ve loaded Nosler BT for years and loved them.
TMH

TenMileHunter":20gi6jf8 said:
Well crap. I have 3 boxes of .30 cal 165 grain. Dang I hope they aren’t that way. I’ve loaded Nosler BT for years and loved them.
TMH

Oh, I suspect that you're good to go. I do most of my hunting with Ballistic Tip bullets, a bit with Partitions, a bit with Accubonds. I've never had a problem with any of the Nosler plastic tips, over many years of experience.

Guy

1100 Remington Man":1sfn1075 said:
Maybe Remington had it right years ago with there Bronze Tip Bullets ?

I used the 150gr Bronze tips in my 30.06 for years with excellent results. They were very accurate and really done a number on deer. I miss those bullets and those days.

Back