Accubond workup utilizing Ballistic Tips Question?

G

For those that have followed my load work-up (or lack thereof) of the Swift Scirocco II bullets in my .300 Winchester Magnum, you know that I am headed for the Nosler AccuBond, 180 grain. For those that haven't, the process was long and non-gratifying...and I am headed for the Nosler AccuBond, 180 grain.

My question is this:

Has anyone worked up their load for the AccuBond by getting close with the ballistic tip of like make (in my case the 180 AccuBond/180 Ballistic Tip) as they have the same ballisitic coefficient, weight etc.?

I am just wondering if it would be a cost savings to me, albeit a small savings if I worked up close with the Ballistic tip and then tweaked the load slightly as needed for the AccuBond, or are they two different cats in the experience of those that have tried this route.

My thought is that not only would work-up be slightly cheaper, but I could shoot the ballistic tips for practice if they were close.

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I can not help you in that respect. However I can tell you this.
Every single rifle I have worked on (whether mine or not) has taken less than 25 rounds to find a great load!

My SAKO 75 SS 300 rum shoots bugholes as does its twin in 7mm RUM! I will be working on my rem 25-06 this week with the 110 gr.

300 Winnie,

I have replaced the 200 gr BT with the AB in my 338 RUM and had
the same great accuracy.
I will be doing the same with my 257 Bob when I get it back
from my buddy.

You can also get some AB seconds from Shooters Pro Shop, that would same you some money too.

JD338

300, I do the same as you describe, and have found no flaws with the theory. I will say this though. For whatever reason, the AB flies about 2 inches to the right of the BT or PT point of impact (in my rifles). This is corrected easy enough when the time comes, and I haven't noticed much change in elevation. I've had no problems using the BT data as well. Good luck.

Back