accubonds and big bears

163bc

Beginner
Jun 8, 2005
Will be hunting Western Alaska in a couple months for Brown/Grizzlies, Moose, & Caribou. I plan to take a 300 Jarret that shoot 200 Accubonds into 1/2 groups @3050 fps. The same gun also shoot 200 Partitions well but not quite to the same accuracy and velocity level. Here is the question for the Noslers or anyone else out there with expierence with the accubonds & BIG game. Would you go with the AccuBond or not risk it and stay with the proven performance of the Partition??? Thanks, 163BCl

163bc,

Because you are including Brown Bear, I would go with the 200 gr PT. If you are lucky and have both loads hit the same point of impact, you could switch to the 200 gr AB fpr caribou.
The 200 gr PT won't let you doen for any of the game you mentioned.

Regards,

JD338

You'll have to narrow down your location a little. Alaska is huge. If your talking Western Alaska out by Bristol Bay or the Pennisula, the brown bears, are huge (average 600-800 pounds) and some guides won't even take you with a 300 magnum. If that's the case, then stay with the Partitions. If your talking Western Alaska by Nome or Kotzebue, then the 200 grain Accubonds will work as this area has smaller bears (grizzlies) that average in the 400-600 pound range. Email me if you want area specifics.

Brad

I'll be hunting in the Kilbuck Mountains near Aniak. Apparently this is near the line that separates browns from grizzlies as far a B&C goes. So the grizzlies are generally pretty big I'm told. I'm pretty sure I'll be shooting a Partition. More than likely will be packing the 300 Jarrett because it is my go to gun and outshoots anything esle I have right now. I have also been having trouble getting 200 Partitions to shoot well out of my 300 Ultra Mag. which I'm also considering taking. There is little difference as far as I can tell between the 300 Jarrett and the 300 Ultra mag anyway. Thanks for the replies. 163bc

Yes, the bears in your area still get quite big. Not as big as the coastal or Kodiak bears, but you could wind up with a 9 - 9 1/2 footer, which is at least an 800 pound bear. The Partitions are the better choice. As long as they shoot good you'll be okay. Moose and caribou are big targets, so 1 inch - 1 1/4 inch groups are all that's needed for these animals at long range. As far as big bears go, you should never shoot past say 200 - 250 yards max as serious problems will arise if you hit one in the wrong place. Most guides will not let you shoot past 200 yards on the big bears, too many variable with things that tend to bite back. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm heading up for coastal browns next spring.

Brad

I put a friend onto the accubonds, I shoot 200 gr out of my 300wm he loaded up some for him and his buddy for this years spring Grizzly they both had tags and friends buddy dropped a 7'6 one shot through the shoulder as it was standing up trying to wind him. ABs fly better IMHO.

regards

W.

A .300 will cleanly put down any bear we have here in Alaska. Placement and terminal bullet performance are more important than diameter, fps or fpe.
I think if you ask those who guide bear hunters for a living, I think they will tell you to choose the 200 partitions. They have been proven to perform on a huge number of big bears over the years. I don't like to experiment when I hunt things that can bite back.

Back