Accubonds and Whitworth 375 H&H

Rusty

Beginner
Sep 30, 2004
Took my latest acquisition to the range Sunday morning. I had just install a Swarovski 1.5-4.5 on a Whitworth 375 H&H I bought a few months ago.
69380912.jpg

Since the 100 yard range was filled with guys getting ready for deer season, my friend Bob and I settled in on the 50 yard range. I bore sighted the rifle and after 4 rounds I fired this 3 shot group.
69379273.jpg

I used 260 grain Nolser AccuBond 2nds over 58 grains of RL-15 in a once fired Federal Premium Safari Grade plated case and a Federal Gold Medal 215M Primer. Velocity approximately 2200 FPS as per Quickload. Now granted it's only 50 yards, but I'm impressed with the rifle and the bullets!

Thanks Nosler!

Rusty,

Is that your elk load, bear load, or deer load? Or your leopard/plains game load?

George

George,
It's my,let's try this moderate load out on my first trip to the range load! :lol:

It was very pleasant to shoot. I'll probably keep it between 2200-2300 for all my hunting here. If my 404 Jeffery isn't ready next rip to Africa, I'll bump it up and use it along Partitions as my second rifle to go along with my 450/400 3inch NE.

That will work!

I shot my Eland this year with a 375H&H with the 260 AB. Worked like a champ!

NOSLER":37vxbk3q said:
That will work!

I shot my Eland this year with a 375H&H with the 260 AB. Worked like a champ!

Was that in Africa or stateside?

George

When I saw it sitting on the rack of the Scheels in Moorhead, I knew it was a nice gun. Just too much gun for me here in ND. After checking prices on Gunsamerica and Gunbroker, I knew it was priced decent. When I read on the AR forums that you'd bought it, and were looking for a barrel band swivel for it, I realized what that little dimple in the barrel was for, and felt pretty crappy for saying how good of shape it was in, in my posting it. Felt like I cheated you there.

I am glad that you are finding it accurate, though. Hope it serves you well

SBB

SBB,
Thanks for the post. I am well satisfied with the rifle. I most cartainly thank you for posting about it. The barrel band is a minor item.

BobC from AR has a Withworth with a band. He is going to remove his and give it to me to have it copied. Did I mention I own a machine shop? :lol:

Thanks again for remembering the rifle. She is a great shooter.

Best regards,

Rusty, I don't mean to sound condescending, but why do you limit yourself to 2200 FPS on the 260 AccuBond loads by going 58 GR of RL-15??My standard loading for those is 72.0 GR of the same RL-15..enlighten me here..you could use a Winchester Big Bore 375 Winchester and have a neat packing around rifle and still have the same power as the 375 throttled down like that. What gives??

Mag,
What gives?

Nothing. Just looking for a mild starting place. For what I am going to be shooting here in the States, it doesn't need to broach 2500 FPS.
the wonderful thing about the .375 H&H is it's ability to perform well over a wide range of velocities.
My personal needs do not require high velocity our of my .375. I actually find accuracy much better at a loads less than max velocity.

I advise each person to use what they like. Just my opine.

Rusty, good morning. again, I didn't mean to sound mean spirited, I just wondered why you would want to throttle back YOUR loads. For me here in Alaska, I cannot afford to have this type of reduced load for MY 375, as bears tend to respond better to full penetration and a LOT of shock. I just can't believe it when I hear guys say they want a 6.5 AccuBond in 120 for deer and bear. I guess they mean black bears....you shoot a brown with that and your funeral will be forthcoming.

Thanks for the reply.

Mag, Sorry to hear you couldn't afford those reduced loads! :lol:

Next time I see brown or black bear big enough to shoot in Texas, I'll drag out the 450/400 3 inch Nitro Express.
45306950.jpg

Last whitetailed deer I shot in Texas field dressed 90 pounds.

Maybe I'd better re-read my copy of "Use Enough Gun"? :roll: :lol:

Y'all stay warm up there now, hear!

Stop it man, I can't stop laughing..
90 LBS huh? I'm coming to Wichita Falls in December to hunt with a buddy...should I bring my 375?

Where in Texas are ya?

You might run into a Mullie up there, better bring that 6.5MM you like! :lol:

I live near Houston, in Missouri City.
They have some good Pheasant hunting up there and in the Panhandle.
Lots of flat country, mesquite, rolling plains.

A muley?? My bud never mentioned any of them horses...
I was down there in 2002 as well., didn't do any good, but had some good scotch.

Well, if you get down this way I think I can find a bottle of 28 year old
Inchmurrin Single Malt.

Back