Accuracy Vanished! Update May 06

For all the rifles I test, the rifle rests with the front action screw on the bags. Further forward, and there is often enough pressure on the barrel to change harmonics significantly.

Well, I just scrubbed the crap outta my barrel. I can't believe how much crud came outta there! I thought I did a great job cleaning my guns. I also made up some new loads, with the bullets seated into the lands. I will work up a new load and hopefully my accuracy is there. Will update later.

"Well, I just scrubbed the crap outta my barrel. I can't believe how much crud came outta there!"

Don't be surprised if it takes a few shots for the rifle to "settle down" and group well again after a major cleaning like that. May or may not happen. I sure can't predict which rifles will so behave.

Guy Miner":2uvmqljy said:
"Well, I just scrubbed the crap outta my barrel. I can't believe how much crud came outta there!"

Don't be surprised if it takes a few shots for the rifle to "settle down" and group well again after a major cleaning like that. May or may not happen. I sure can't predict which rifles will so behave.

Same here. Some of mine are nutty and some just go back to shooting? They ALL act a little different after the cleaning though.

Rifles have their own individual characteristics. We can speak in generalities about what is needed for accuracy, and we discover that the rules don't apply to the one we are shooting.

ScreaminEagle":kovkfnpq said:
SJB358":kovkfnpq said:
Good luck. What are you using for copper removal?

Kroil and JB bore paste applied with VFG super intensive cleaning pellets

Yep, that sounds like the medicine needed. What kinda gunk came out?

SJB358":kbtq2be1 said:
ScreaminEagle":kbtq2be1 said:
SJB358":kbtq2be1 said:
Good luck. What are you using for copper removal?

Kroil and JB bore paste applied with VFG super intensive cleaning pellets

Yep, that sounds like the medicine needed. What kinda gunk came out?

Really black stuff. Kinda like oil sludge. I made about fifty passes through the tube with the bore paste and kroil. Then I cleaned it all out with kroil. Kroil is red in color, so I just went until I had a nice red patch without any black on it.

ScreaminEagle":3iyg8f0y said:
Really black stuff. Kinda like oil sludge. I made about fifty passes through the tube with the bore paste and kroil. Then I cleaned it all out with kroil. Kroil is red in color, so I just went until I had a nice red patch without any black on it.

That is exactly the way mine look. It is amazing the amount of carbon that comes out of the tube when you aggressively work at it. Kroil and Iosso/JB is pretty amazing stuff. I am sold on it. Saves on the amount of waiting you need to do. Plus, it really allows you to clean up the throat area pretty quick.

FOTIS":2cij42ai said:
When are you shooting it?

Well, I'm not sure. As soon as I can get to the range. It's been raining and storming here that last couple of days.

Ok guys, I scrubbed my barrel out real good with the kroil and JB paste. I check the OAL with my hornady gauge, and loaded up some 100gr BT's to the lands. I used H414 as it has always given the best performance in my rifle. I loaded in .5 gr increments from starting to 2gr over max, and shot a ladded test at 300yds. 45gr and 45.5gr showed less than an inch of vertical, so I have loaded up twenty rounds using 45.3gr of H414. I will shoot these through the chrono to check the SD and accuracy as well. I'll let you guys know what's going on.

Hey Doc do you ever sleep :wink:
I have never had that problem with accuracy, I normally clean my rifles after shooting 30 to 50 rounds through them :)
I have been using Wipeout for a number years and have found it to do a great job.

Blessings,
Dan

ScreaminEagle":2huhatze said:
Ok guys, I scrubbed my barrel out real good with the kroil and JB paste. I check the OAL with my hornady gauge, and loaded up some 100gr BT's to the lands. I used H414 as it has always given the best performance in my rifle. I loaded in .5 gr increments from starting to 2gr over max, and shot a ladded test at 300yds. 45gr and 45.5gr showed less than an inch of vertical, so I have loaded up twenty rounds using 45.3gr of H414. I will shoot these through the chrono to check the SD and accuracy as well. I'll let you guys know what's going on.

Can not wait!

Back