Action screw torque sako 85

hundmeister

Beginner
Apr 23, 2012
How important is the action screw torque on a sako 85in 7mm rem mag? SAKO recommends 36 in/lbs but internet forum recommendations are all over the map. I am currently using 42 in/lbs on a factory grey wolf, laminate stainless. Am i OK with this or are some people just too finniky.

I'll take the recommendation of the manufacturer over the speculations of anonymous experts any day.

I've found that in certain instances, with diligence and patience, you can find the perfect torque settings for your action and stock, but in reality, it's usually only a few in-lbs off of what the factory recommends. I've only seen this slight difference matter much in a couple of rifles, in terms of accuracy. Now, if you take a Sako that is recommended for 36 and crank it down to 60, I'm betting accuracy will suffer. I tend to stick close to what the manufacturers specs are, unless the stock is modified with pillars or bedding or some such.

DrMike":2tupyo5q said:
I'll take the recommendation of the manufacturer over the speculations of anonymous experts any day.
+1...I have the same rifle in 270wsm, and would stick with the mfg specs. I just check them from time to time just to make sure they're snug/tight. I love these sako's 8) ....congrats on yours too 8)

it's just that 36 in/lbs doesn't seem like much. what do you guys think, most rifles require more torque.

It sounds about right to me.
People usually run into problems by OVER torquing, not under torquing. If you over torque, it puts unequal stresses on the action that can negatively effect accuracy. I tighten my action screws so they are nicely firm, but not tightened down hard.

The newer Sako Model 85's have a separate recoil lug that is firmly installed with screws into the forend of the stock. I am guessing that you do not need a lot of torque on the action screws to hold this arrangement. Sako recommends 65 in-lbs as maximum for the two action screws. I would stick to that specification.

That amount of inch-pounds is what most people can get with a large screwdriver and tightening with one hand. I know that I can not (anymore) get more than about 60 in-lbs with a hollow ground wood handled screwdriver on a slotted bolt. Just be careful with allen headed bolts and allen wrenches.

work up your best load. Get a torque wrench and go to the range. shoot the load at 30 40 and 50 inch/lbs.

My sako 75 went from 2 inches to .675" at 300 yards.

hundmeister":1nee39xj said:
it's just that 36 in/lbs doesn't seem like much. what do you guys think, most rifles require more torque.

I torque my wood stock Remington 700's at 35 in lbs as per their specs. I've tried guessing 35 in lbs and the groups were not pretty.

I'm guessing Sako might know a thing or two about the torque of the action screws on a rifle they build, I'm just saying.

Bill

Back