Aftermarket Tikka 3 .300 WSM Mag for reloaders

BalisticsNut

Beginner
Oct 29, 2010
Recently, I have become addicted to reloading my Tikka3. I realized that the OEM magazine will not hold Nosler custom ammo that are set one or near the lands. I have asked around for an aftermarket mag and spoke with a couple distributers and pretty much got the same answer. If you reload your own ammo and have an OAL greater than 2.890 you have to hand feed each round. My current load is 2.950 which is .010 off the lands. So, here is my resolution and looking for volunteers to assist.

My brother runs a Co. that is in the business of precision machining and injection molds. It just so happens that his Co is also registered as an Arms manufactoring Co. and is based in CA. He has agreed to manufacture aftermarket magazines for the Tikka3 starting with the .300WSM. We need a few magazines to reverse engineer. They do not need to be in working order just in one piece, cracked or broken cases are fine. In return, we will send you one finished prototype as a replacement once completed. This could take several months to complete because its being done as a favor and without funding.

Anyone interested let me know.

Surprised that there are no takers here. Thought for sure we had some Tikka3 enthusiast here as frustrated as I am. Does anyone see the value of a custom aftermarket magazines? I really like the Nosler 168 gr BT seated just off the lands but find that having to load without a magazine puts me at a slight disadvantage when hunting.

Any thoughts from the reloading group here?

I think most accept that there are two nodes for seating bullets in most guns and cartridges, one close to the lands and one further back. If the closest to the lands isn't attainable, most set them in or load to magazine length and usually find the same accuracy. Berger had a good write up about this also. I wouldn't sweat it, try seating it in .010 at a time and I bet you will find the same load will shoot as well a little deeper and save you the hassle or having custom mag boxes made up. Scotty

Interesting, everything that I have read states that a rifles sweetspot is usually found .015 or closer to the lands. The OEM magazine wont allow me any closer then .070 which is huge in my opinion. At this point the buller already starts off unstable and is forced into the lands off axis which in turn will cause a larger spread amongst shot groups. At least this is how I understood this.

Thanks for the feedback Scotty. Really appreciate the advice. I will give your process a try.

I was able to get 2.90 to feed reliably in my 270 WSM Tikka T3 Light and it tightened up the group noticibly with the 230 gr. AccuBond. You're right that accuracy would be better if we could load some bullets out further. The other option is to use a bullet like the Swift A-Frame that is blunter and thicker towards the tip but I havn't tried it yet.
Greg

I load both the 150gr BT and 150gr PT to 2.860 COAL for the 270WSM in my M70 and have had excellent luck with sub MOA sized groups with those longer bullets. I am not sure how far off the lands I am, but this works well for me. I think with a little experimenting, you can make the shorter mag work for you to achieve hunting accuracy.

Greg is a veteran here, so I am sure he has a ton more time on the press than I, but I haven't had any issues with loading around SAAMI max for most cartridges. Usually gets me under 1" or better and MOA to 400, but again, men like Greg have more time behind the press and various rifles than I. Scotty

My shooting partner uses a Sako .300 WSM and is seeing tighter groups with the 180 gr BT. From our measurements, both rifles are nearly identical all the way down to the lands. Im wondering if that is the way to go, a heavier round?

The 165 gr BT is giving me quite a bit of angst along with scope failures. (another story) However I did shoot 168gr with RL-17 with 64.5 gr sub 1" at 200 yards a month ago. It was my last 4-168gr BTs and have not been able to purchase new locally since. So, I figured I would give the 165 gr a try. Closest 5 shot group is about 2.5" at 200 yards. This is where I have been working on the lands the most. The 168s where .070 off the lands.

Just picked up some Hornady 168s and some Nosler 168s CTs with great BCs both. Hopefully I can duplicate the effort as with the other 168s. Maybe this is my Tikka's preferred gr.

Thanks for the feedback Gents.

Heres a personal best from my tikka t3 in 300 win mag. This gun has a ton of Jump or freebore. The bullets in this load are jumping .250 to the lands of the barrel!!!
DSC00663.jpg

Wow, that is some really awesome shooting for 300 yards! Great shooting! Scotty

The bullets in this load are jumping .250 to the lands of the barrel!!!

Kraky,

That is some jump to the lands! However, the results are very good.

Nice group. Point made. I work on the load and slowly back it off the lands until I can get it to fit in the mag.

Awesome shooting!

The group was somewhat lucky ...espcecially for a 3-9 scope. I was shooting off a homemade bench mounted lead sled type deal. This gun is a stellar shooter and has given many many sub moa groups. It's also slow with normal data because of the freebore.....it's almost set up like a wby rifle.

Funny thing is the clip on my tikka m695 30-06 allows for longer seating of bullets than my 300 t-3 and I can get to the land with a long cool looking bullet on that '06.

It would be my recomendation to start with loads at clip length and then seat them deeper till you find another sweet spot. I'll bet a 12 pack IT IS THERE!!
I have a couple guns that shoot really really well with the ogive of the bullet barely out of the case mouth and not near clip length.

Talked to my brother over the weekend, he has permission to move forward with this design so we are going to do this aftermarket mag. I hear you guys but I have to think from all what I have read on this rifle. The best groups will be fired with the bulet in the lands or just outside. I suppose if I didnt shoot Nosler 168/180 it probably wouldnt matter too much but I like these rounds. Still need an old mag if anyone is willing to part in exchange for the new design when completed.

Hi,
I would be really interested in this, what do you need. I have been currently using a 300 wm clip for the 300 wsm in the tikka t3. I'm shooting the 210 berger vld's, my curret OAL is 3.21". The factory 300 wm clip I use took alot of modification and works. But, it doesn't work well enough for me. I haven't had any failures in the field, but the time will come. Do you need the factory short mag clip? I think I have one at home? Thanks Jarid

Jarid: Yes, we need a factory OEM version of the mag. It will be reversed engineered then adapted to give the larges OAL allowed with the bolt travel. I think that is near your OAL currently. Once a proto type has been developed, we will send you a replacement for the one you sent in for testing. PM me for info where to send it you are interested.

I will check this weekend and get back to you monday. You relize that you also have to grind the bolt stop on the reciver to get the longer bolt throw. Like I said I'll check at home this weekend, but I'm 90 % sure I have one. Thanks

You relize that you also have to grind the bolt stop on the reciver to get the longer bolt throw.

Already checked this, I have roughly 3.21 of bolt travel (rear of bolt to chamber entrance) which gives me plenty of room for most bullets that we have tested.

Well, we hit a snag. My brother ended up in the hospital with a fused vertabrae. He had surgery a few weeks ago to repair but is out of work for a few months. This put all of his "pet" projects on hold. Ill post when I hear something new.

Back