Alaska Grizzly Bear Hunt 2019

Congratulations on a fine bear! The fishing sounds like it was great also. Well rounded hunt! Dan.

Thanks for the details and congrats on your bear, he's a nice one. Did you end up using your 280 AI?

Excellent! Quite an experience and hunt. Congratulations on a great trip and a fine bear. Good story also.

David,

Congratulations on your grizzly bear. Beautiful animal and a trophy of s lifetime. Really happy for you buddy.

JD338

6mm Remington":x5o2ijtk said:
gerry":x5o2ijtk said:
Thanks for the details and congrats on your bear, he's a nice one. Did you end up using your 280 AI?
I did. 140 gr. Nosler AccuBond. 3186 fps

Excellent, your 280 AI is much more effective on grizzly than a lot of people might think. Your's sure dropped fast!

So very terrific for you David.

Congratulations on a wonderful hunt. The Northland is truly special. I'm glad that you went. :)

Guy

I just have to tell this part of the adventure too since I made it pretty brief. Before my father passed away in 2012 he told me that he wanted me to do something just for me. Dad said I always to for my wife, kids, and never for me. He wanted me to do something special, something like a guided hunt even, and that it would be just for me. He made me promise to do something.

Fast forward a few years and I actually started talking about going on a grizzly bear hunt and a friend of mine down here was interested in doing a trip with me. He wanted a grizzly bear and a Fannin ram from the Yukon, or maybe a ram in Alaska. It didn't look like that would pan out for us at least not this year. I had contacted this friend because he's been fortunate to hunt many different locations to include Alaska already and I was hoping he might help me find a guide. So this year didn't look like it was going to happen and we would see if we could make 2020 work.

Then this other tag was issued by the F&G at the last minute and the outfitter dropped the price of the hunt by $2500.00 hoping they could get someone to get the tag and book a hunt. Then Emily Thoft called me and told me about the hunt. She helped me fax off my application, and an hour later she called and told me I had the tag and was going grizzly bear hunting in August! I was so excited, afraid, nervous about spending this money, wishing my father could hear this, and lots of other things. I started crying on the phone talking to Emily, well a little bit, maybe just had dirt in my eye or something. Anyway I got my composure back after a couple minutes. That's how special this was to me.

Okay fast forward a few months and I get this beautiful bear and I am happy that I made a nice quick clean kill on this wonderful animal. After he dropped my guide told me to just watch him a few minutes to make sure he's done. I was still watching 5 minutes later and once again I had a couple eyes with leaks in them all over again. I was pretty emotional but I was not so emotional that I saw an opportunity that begged to be taken. My Guide Mike Lettis had by now relaxed and was sure my bear was done. He was giving me a few minutes I suspect, and was looking around and not paying any attention. I got this idea and I shouted out all of a sudden as Mike was looking the other way, "Mike he's up he's running!" Mike spun around so fast thinking my bear was getting away. I started laughing, it was the funniest thing. He said, "You got me on that one!"

I just had to add that part as it's all part of the memory. Man what an adventure!

UPDATE: I never got to see my bear and his coloring out in the field very well as he was drenched like a drowned rat. So was I. He's back from the tanner and is at the taxidermist now. I couldn't believe how many different colors he has and how pretty he is. When he's all finished and his hair is brushed out he's going to be just beautiful!

David
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... fit=bounds

Always a thrill to get your hide back. That first visualization is special. Lovely bear, David.

Back