Alaska hunting in feb in shorts and a tshirt!

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I've been having a. Little problem with mice invading my garage this winter. The wife finally had enough and gave me the go ahead to pull out all the stops.

I picked up a Benjamin 397 multipump pellet rifle. I wanted something I could use at lower power to shoot in the garage but still crank up to take out the odd pine squirrel.

f74ebc67f8b2db96e49e113c0f8b2eac.jpg

I forgot how much fun air guns could be. I'm pretty impressed with how well this shoots. The minimum 3 pumps will yield 548fps with a 7.9gr pellet. Accuracy has proven to be great. Painting the front sight bright green helped a bit. My pellet trap has an assortment of steel spinners from ram to chicken. After sighting it in I spent a couple hours banging steel last night.

837e18a88b8ea080aeb8772e431bf3a3.jpg

444ce3eddcd6c9723a03efe5526d2b54.jpg

Now I just need to pour a bait pile of bird seed and wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent! That has to be a ton of fun. Here's hoping you get your limit (which would be all of them).

Awesome. I still have my Benjamin 22 cal from when I was a kid. Dad still has his Silver Streak Benjamin 22 cal as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cool. Make sure to post a trophy photo.
Hope you can score on a B&C bull mouse. :mrgreen:

JD338

I always like the peanut butter and bread bait best they just can't resist peanut butter gets them every time. :lol:

I saw the best, environmentally safe, solution for mice when I was hunting in Canada. They used a 1lb coffee can, which spins on a thin wire across the top of a spackle pail. The coffee can has peanut butter spread around its circumference. A wooden ramp is leaned against the pail so the little rodents can easily climb to the top. The mice will jump onto the bait-covered can which easily rotates with their weight. Mice fall into the pail which has a few inches of water in the bottom.

You can literally catch a bucket of mice with this contraption and they're all nicely contained (dead) in the pail for disposal.

Not as much fun as zapping them with the pellet rifle but cleaner and much more effective.

Just to stick with the forum theme - Does Nosler make Ballistic Pellets yet? Would they have a polymer tip? Would the tips melt at high speed when shot over long distances? Would bonding be necessary?

Just askin'

Charlie, I first saw this method of catching rodents while staying in a chateau at Mount Baker in Washington. It was ingenious and worked exceptionally well.

"Does Nosler make Ballistic Pellets yet? Would they have a polymer tip? Would the tips melt at high speed when shot over long distances? Would bonding be necessary?"

Those are serious questions. Wonder if the Nosler staff is paying attention.

Charlie-NY":3pmhlu45 said:
I saw the best, environmentally safe, solution for mice when I was hunting in Canada. They used a 1lb coffee can, which spins on a thin wire across the top of a spackle pail. The coffee can has peanut butter spread around its circumference. A wooden ramp is leaned against the pail so the little rodents can easily climb to the top. The mice will jump onto the bait-covered can which easily rotates with their weight. Mice fall into the pail which has a few inches of water in the bottom.

You can literally catch a bucket of mice with this contraption and they're all nicely contained (dead) in the pail for disposal.

Not as much fun as zapping them with the pellet rifle but cleaner and much more effective.

Just to stick with the forum theme - Does Nosler make Ballistic Pellets yet? Would they have a polymer tip? Would the tips melt at high speed when shot over long distances? Would bonding be necessary?

Just askin'

We use that system in the barn for mice, but instead of water where they start to really stink we put about an inch of windshield washer anti freeze in the bottom of the bucket. Cuts down on the smell by 95%.

Cats kept our barn and house mice free and they are environmentally safe mice destroyers

I've never seen anything that compares to a good pack of 2-3 jack russels or similar for putting a serious hurting on a rodent population.

I had a buddy back home in Michigan that had a pair of jacks and a cairn terrier. He hired out there services for rodent/pest control. I would occasionally help out, moving haybails and other objects rats and mice would hide behind. Once we flushed the rodents out they would go on a killing spree the likes of which you could ing believe. Rats, mice, chipmunks, squirrels, even possum and coons. They made short work of about anything. A lot of these barns had several cats hanging around. I've seen them kill over a hundred at a time.

They would also clean critters out of crawl spaces and foundations.

Bear, you are spot on about that. We had a Jack Russel that did not just keep the rodent population down but also took out a few rattlesnakes. Thanks for the reminder, as we loved that dog.

However, those pellet guns can also be a lot of fun and even more important--a happy wife is a happy home ( in reference to your first post LOL )

Just askin'[/quote]

The standard cup & core pellet is plenty for mice. Leave those bonded pellets for rats........... :>)

db09b82add5fc2f1bac01bb62d1bfe7e.jpg

Finally got one that couldn't resist my bucket of birdseed. He made the mistake of stopping under my work bench but still in sight. Turns out it was ample power for the quarry.

Aren't you supposed to have them hanging from the meat pole? :? Give us a picture of the skinned carcass so we can see the wound channel. :shock:

Back