Alaska Setup

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
I have to ask my soon to be Alaskan compatriots who they recommend for my Alaskan spinning rig.

One fellow I know that was stationed in Alaska said to use braided thirty pound test. OK, I have a spool of that. Now what do y’all recommend for a leader? I know it varies depending on where you are and what you’re fishing for but can y’all recommend some basic stuff I could get here for fishing before I head north?

My fishing experience is limited to bass. I’ve had my best luck with top water plugs and Rapala Diving Lures. One thing I’m planning on doing is taking a charter for halibut when I get there but I’ll use their equipment for that.

I know we have a multitude of experience here and I’m here as a sponge. If you’re willing to share I’m willing to soak up the knowledge.

Thank you.

Vince

Until you get a boat you’ll be accessing fishing grounds with every one else via the road system. Considered bad form to be playing a fish too long if it interferes with everyone else getting back in the water. Yes, Alaska road system can get that crowded. You’ll find hikes to get away but there are no virgin fishing spots.
For silvers and reds (sockeye) I typically ran 12 pound florocarbon leaders but I was fishing gin clear water from the boat. Actually Reds were from shore but I didnt’ have to worry about other people. I would go 15 to 20lb leader If I were you.
Silvers like flash, on an average morning two or three clients would land 40 silvers on #4 or 5 Vibrex spinners running pink and silver, orange and silver, chartreuse and silver and green and silver.
20 years guiding taught me that if they are going to bite they are going to bite just about anything. That being said there are always local favorites and a shop nearby with spinners to sell. Pay attention.
Sockeye and kings where you can fish for them, will be over by the time you get there.
I’ ve caught a lot of kings and silvers on plugs. Mostly back trolling from the boat but casting them works well too. I preferred Magworts and Tadpolly’s in Alaska but ran quickfish on the Columbia.
Let me know when you have an address, I’ve got boxes of the stuff. I’ll send you a dozen or so of my favorite silver spinners when you have an address. I’ve got some well used but servicable GLoomis rods appropriate for silver fishing, I’ll send you one of those as well.

Salmonchaser's info comes from years of experience. I've just been a fly-fishing tourist up there. :)

Caught a lot of silvers though, but all on a fly, mostly something bold looking, in the top 4' of water. When conditions were right... a popper, usually pink or chartreuse, on the surface was effective and so very fun! :)

Guy

Until you get a boat you’ll be accessing fishing grounds with every one else via the road system. Considered bad form to be playing a fish too long if it interferes with everyone else getting back in the water. Yes, Alaska road system can get that crowded. You’ll find hikes to get away but there are no virgin fishing spots.
For silvers and reds (sockeye) I typically ran 12 pound florocarbon leaders but I was fishing gin clear water from the boat. Actually Reds were from shore but I didnt’ have to worry about other people. I would go 15 to 20lb leader If I were you.
Silvers like flash, on an average morning two or three clients would land 40 silvers on #4 or 5 Vibrex spinners running pink and silver, orange and silver, chartreuse and silver and green and silver.
20 years guiding taught me that if they are going to bite they are going to bite just about anything. That being said there are always local favorites and a shop nearby with spinners to sell. Pay attention.
Sockeye and kings where you can fish for them, will be over by the time you get there.
I’ ve caught a lot of kings and silvers on plugs. Mostly back trolling from the boat but casting them works well too. I preferred Magworts and Tadpolly’s in Alaska but ran quickfish on the Columbia.
Let me know when you have an address, I’ve got boxes of the stuff. I’ll send you a dozen or so of my favorite silver spinners when you have an address. I’ve got some well used but servicable GLoomis rods appropriate for silver fishing, I’ll send you one of those as well.
THANK YOU!

Salmonchaser's info comes from years of experience. I've just been a fly-fishing tourist up there. :)

Caught a lot of silvers though, but all on a fly, mostly something bold looking, in the top 4' of water. When conditions were right... a popper, usually pink or chartreuse, on the surface was effective and so very fun! :)

Guy
Loved fly fishing for silvers, guiding as well. Had a couple of secret spots about 100 miles south down the peninsula. Had guys and gals tap out and watch their friends finish the day, 100 silvers will flat kick your butt. Pick up some char and rainbow too

Attachments

• IMG_5659.jpeg
    IMG_5659.jpeg
    686.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5673.jpeg
    IMG_5673.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0689.jpeg
    IMG_0689.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5502.jpeg
    IMG_5502.jpeg