Alaska, would you risk?

hodgeman":2klnh0qv said:
I would if I had a special rifle I wanted to use I'd not fret it.

I've hunted here with blued/walnut...keeping them cared for wasn't a big chore. You can have a stock shift POI- it's not a myth, it happens....but it's not as common as I heard about years ago. I've got to admit- I've turned one shades of grey in monsoon season but it still shot straight.

A bigger concern for me was just beating and banging them around in pack frames, ATVS, Super Cubs, rocks, brush, etc. I hunt a bunch and most of the wear and tear is transportation related rather than weather.

This would also be my response,

Your rifle does not have a cheap piece of wood on it and therefore I would not worry about it. Take it to the cold of Alaska, hunt with it, clean it up and then take it to one of the Equator countries in Africa and hunt with it in the heat. You and that rifle will always remember those hunts.

I actually now only hunt with plastic. I got introduced to synthetic stocks back in '73 at Parris Island, on a M14.

Yeah, wood is Purty, but wood doesn't insure stability, regardless of weather conditions.

If you can afford it, I'd jump on the McMillan and never look back. Then you won't have to even give weather conditions a consideration ever again........

Gunner46":2fv384mr said:
I actually now only hunt with plastic. I got introduced to synthetic stocks back in '73 at Parris Island, on a M14.

Yeah, wood is Purty, but wood doesn't insure stability, regardless of weather conditions.

If you can afford it, I'd jump on the McMillan and never look back. Then you won't have to even give weather conditions a consideration ever again........
Well said.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":1yl3ui2h said:
Remembered this good comparison test on gun lube/protectant worth checking out

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... evaluation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just when I was getting over feeling guilty about Not using Hoppe's No 9, "because Dad said so..." My similar testing has me using EEzox. Was just starting to enjoy the smell of that stuff...better corrosion resistance than Break Free, Hoppe's and car wax IMHO. Looks like I need to check out the hornady stuff. CL

Guy I actually am trying to fix/solve/experiment with this exact issue right now on my Alaskan in 338wm.

I love wood stocks. I love wood stocks. I love wood stocks. I love everything about them. The warmth, feel, look, character, scratches, history, etc...

I took a blank and inletted it into the Alaskan action. I pillared the front and rear. I then glass bedded the entire action. Everything. There isn't a single fiber of wood exposed to the elements. Even the recoil pad is skim bedded with epoxy. I then used Waterlox as the finishing product.

I haven't had the time to test it yet, but I plan on literally soaking the stock in water and testing it for Point of aim shift, accuracy, etc...

It isn't the easiest thing to do and it is time consuming, but I am hoping for the results I want.

As for the metal, I would not hesitate to cera kote all the metal and be done.

They are great stocks too. I had one on a custom win 70 458 Lott.

0386e6edc95f0d9060251b72b77b8d17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pre6422hornet":2jjfh70h said:
Guy I actually am trying to fix/solve/experiment with this exact issue right now on my Alaskan in 338wm.

I love wood stocks. I love wood stocks. I love wood stocks. I love everything about them. The warmth, feel, look, character, scratches, history, etc...

I took a blank and inletted it into the Alaskan action. I pillared the front and rear. I then glass bedded the entire action. Everything. There isn't a single fiber of wood exposed to the elements. Even the recoil pad is skim bedded with epoxy. I then used Waterlox as the finishing product.

I haven't had the time to test it yet, but I plan on literally soaking the stock in water and testing it for Point of aim shift, accuracy, etc...

It isn't the easiest thing to do and it is time consuming, but I am hoping for the results I want.

As for the metal, I would not hesitate to cera kote all the metal and be done.

I have seen your work in the past Pat. You do take pride in your work and rifles.

+1 on your preference for wood

Back