Alces alces

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
It was not a good day yesterday! I took my son-in-law hunting (it was his first trip as a hunter). He is a forester, and quite familiar with the northern wilds, having walked frequently along grizzly paths, been chased up trees by rutting moose, and tracked by black bears in the wild. However, he has never hunted, and he wanted to be in on the kill and learn about skinning and dressing moose. So, my hunting partner and I decided to take him along. My partner insisted that we go in his truck, as he had been compelled to pull my Ford out of a muskeg a week ago. Despite my misgivings, I acceded to his request.

This was not an unreasonable request, and I had already fulfilled a similar obligation for my dentist and an RCMP sergeant who were unfamiliar with dressing animals after a kill a week ago.

I wanted to take him to an area that is well populated with moose so that there would be a reasonable opportunity to fulfil his desire.

The day started propitiously as we encountered a nice three-year old on the way into the area. Unfortunately, he was moving awfully fast as he did not like the Dodge truck in which I was riding. Moose in this area are very discriminating, I believe.

We hunted hard all morning, and saw not another moose. We did see a great black bear across a valley, and worked our way over to that slope. However, by the time we got there, he failed to show himself. Again, I suspect that the black Dodge may have something to do with this.

This meant that we would spend the remainder of the afternoon searching in various areas for Alces alces canadiensis, in hopes of finding a suitable candidate to serve as a teaching aid.

Not finding a moose willing to accept my invitation to accompany me home, we made a detour to Pink Mountain so my son-in-law could see the lay of the land from atop the mountain. He was delighted, and it gave me and my hunting partner opportunity to nap, since we had been up since midnight preparing for this hunt.

About five o'clock, we began the trek back to the moose grounds, seeing precisely nothing. I know that the black Dodge is a real problem, now. However, just before seven, we saw a great bear about 700 yards away. Though it had a somewhat smallish head for the body, it was a large bear feeding contentedly near a patch of thick brush. I attempted to get closer, closing the distance to about 400 yards at which point the bruin boogied down the trail and disappeared into the brush. Searching was to no avail, and I reluctantly concluded that the beast was laughing at the escape from the great white hunter and his trusty native guide.

We reentered the truck (I still think the black Dodge may have been the problem) and drove toward the junction that would take us out as shooting light was fading rapidly. As we topped a rise (about two kilometers from our junction) we were startled by three large specimen of Alces alces canadensis. All were still in velvet and in beautiful shape. One, standing about 70 yards from where the truck came to a stop, had a spread of about 48 inches, and the other two were about 36 inch spread moose.

I fumbled with my bullets, managing to load one and grasp two more with my left hand. Gil slapped a loaded clip (358 Win) into his BLR and we exited the vehicle. From my vantage point, I could not see the bigger moose which had dropped into a ditch. Gil assumed I was on the larger and nearer animal (likely due to my ageing eyes and near dotage in his estimate) whilst he focused his attention on the one farthest from us. Unfortunately for him, there was a moose between him and the one he was focused on. That one was facing us, with an expression on his face that seemed to say, "What a revolting development this is!"

The one in the ditch, which I couldn't see, made a dash for the timber (a distance of about twenty feet which required it to take about two steps). The one facing Gil swapped ends presenting a perfect opportunity for a Texas heart shot (which he is loathe to take). The third, which both of us were actually focused on, used the cover of the centre moose to move rapidly off the road and into the bush. As they crashed through the bush, I thought I distinctly heard laughter as the moose were both relieved and amused by the Kafkaesque display of ineptitude they had just witnessed.

Everything took place in about fifteen seconds, and it was as if they had never existed. Save for the four hoof prints in the centre of the road, we might have assumed that lack of sleep was causing hallucinations.

"Why didn't you shoot?" Gil asked in exasperation. "I didn't want to drop two moose with one shot," was my rejoinder.

"How could you drop two with one shot?" he questioned. "That moose was apart from the other two"

"No," I replied. "He was standing in front of that farthest moose, and I didn't want to shoot him; and I couldn't get a bead on the farthest one until he moved."

After some arm waving and raised voices, we laughed and decided that since shooting light was about gone, it was time for us to do the same. It was time to head home, stopping at Wendy's for a late night snack. By the time we got home, I had been up for twenty-four hours and it was time for a snooze.

There is always Saturday, and I'll likely be on the same spot Saturday. That is why we call it hunting, and not shooting. I am sorry that I have no pictures of this event, as pictures of nothing are really inappropriate on a hunting thread. Soon (I hope).

An enjoyable read. I can picture the events as they unfold. Hope you can get one in the freezer this weekend.....with pics.

Long

Three years ago we had deep snows and massive winter kill of moose (on one bear hunting trip, I counted 13 carcases). Last year was pretty slim. I hunted hard all season (save for this early season when I guided a relative new comer to hunting to a young bull), and never saw a legal bull (fork horn, tri-palm or ten points or more on one side). They have made a good comeback, and I'm seeing a fair number of moose this year, and they are in good shape. I've seen moose each time I've gone out, so it should be a good season, even if I don't connect in this early season.

Doc............ the only thang i'd change to a southern twang is the one moose lookin back at you. He'd be sayin..... whut da haail????? oh shee-it we better geeet outta heer! :grin:
Great story! I cant wait till sunday either! Good luck.
JD

I'm anxious to get moose out of the way. I wish to fill my daughter's freezer, and elk opens on September 1st. Obviously, that will require a degree of focus, so I don't want to be distracted with what precious time I can squeeze out of an otherwise busy routine.

whut da haail????? oh shee-it we better geeet outta heer!

Being Canadian moose, I'm fairly certain they were saying, "I say, old boy, did you see that fat dude falling out of the truck. Man what a look on his face! Heh, heh, heh."

great story Dr. Mike I know you would both have better success if you were driving a heavy chevy :grin:

I'm almost ashamed to post the interim report. I was as busy as a one-armed paper hanger with hives working in a windstorm the remainder of this past week. Of course, people expect me to show up at church and earn my keep, so Sunday morning was out of the question. Whilst I have showed up to preach with blood under my nails, I was loathe to do so this past week, opting instead to make an evening trip out to a honey hole.

There was a conspiracy against my hunting, however. Saturday, the weather turned hot. Sunday was the hottest day of the month. My wife informed me that we were remodeling the kitchen and needed to empty the cupboards so the carpenters could begin ripping out the old cabinets. My protests were unavailing, especially if I wished to sleep in my own bed that evening or eat at "her" table. So, in a blur, elbows flashed and ... well, at least I did skip lunch and began the arduous task of packing the cabinets.

My hunting partner showed in mid-afternoon, and I was almost finished with the packing. At least, I was at a point that I could argue the necessity of leaving the remaining cabinets to my beloved wife. However, the temperature at that point was over 30 degrees. We agreed that few self-respecting moose would venture far from water in such conditions, and were we successful, it would be a quick job of cleaning in order to preserve the meat.

The long and the short of it is that the heat convinced me to wait. Yesterday wasn't much better, so I delayed again. I still have two months to find a swamp donkey, but as of today, I have to count points. A legal bull in this zone must have ten points on one side or be a tri-palm or a fork-horn. There is a good population this year, following a massive winter kill a few years ago. I believe I'll still have a story, with pictures, to post in a short while. However, I'm now waiting for some frost.

Consequently, elk opens today; this will be a two-month season. I haven't heard any bulls bugling, but I have found lots of sign and I know several spots where there are good populations of cows.

As soon as I have some pictures, I will post them. In the interim, mea culpa, gentlemen.

Mike, how are you making out with the moose and elk? Great story, that is definately a good story. Scotty

Again, I am almost ashamed to post the interim report. It has finally turned cool. It snowed last Tuesday and I went out to see if I could find a find specimen of Alces alces. I hunted hard all day, and just at the end of the day I came upon two moose, one of which was a very fine bull. The regulations in this zone demand that a moose be a fork-horn, or have three points on the palm, or have a total of ten points on one side. I have seen quite a few moose, but none that met the regulations. My partner and I carefully counted points--several times. He was legal.

He was standing not sixty yards from me and I was lined up on him. As my finger crept forward and began to slip through the trigger guard, my partner suddenly asked urgently, "How far from a dwelling do you have to be? 400 meters? Or 200 meters?"

"What?"

"There is a camp for the gas rig behind those trees and we are within 200 meters," he offered.

The moose slipped into the bush and wandered off while my partner and I consulted the rules (100 meters). Knowing that we were perfectly legal, and knowing that a fine moose was shaking its head at the dumb antics of those two strange creatures, we hurried about two hundred meters northward into an opening in hopes that the moose would move out of the bush and across the opening.

As we came to the opening, we encountered one of the finest black bears I've seen for some time. He was a real melon head and had a beautiful coat. Thinking of bear ribs on the bargeque compelled me to give serious consideration to dropping the bear. I can tell you that I was definitely torn between the moose and the bear. I lifted my rifle to drop the bear (about fifteen yards from me and dancing back-and-forth on his front legs), my partner said, "Don't shoot! I want to take him with my bow." I can tell you I should not have been so generous. However, I did want that moose, so I lowered my rifle and turned to look for the moose.

To make a long story short, my partner could not see the bear clearly enough in the gathering darkness, and so he didn't arrow it. He couldn't see the shoulder clearly enough. Consequently, I don't have a hide in the freezer. And the moose didn't come out of the bush. I asked my partner to take a target and stand about ten yards from me as I wanted to ensure that my rifle was sighted in. He declined.

The next day, the season closed for two weeks. I intend to be back in that area after Thanksgiving (October 12th) to look for him. In the interim, I've secured a crossbow which is permitted in this interim period. I'll be practising with every intention of tracking this moose. There is a second moose in that area, which though I haven't seen it, is reported by reliable sources as legal.

We are seeing quite a few elk within the last week in particular. They are not bugling much, though they are responding to bugles and chirps by sneaking in quietly. Setup is vital to ensure that you get an opportunity to see the elk before they wind you. We have had several come in to our decoys, but none that I was willing to drop just yet.

One great problem this year has been that we are remodelling our kitchen, and Mama has a rightful claim on my time. However, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to get as much time in the field as in past years. Nevertheless, we have a few weeks left and I will get time in the field.

DrMike, what are you going to do "in the interm" if you encounter a big old Mean grizzly? A crossbow? I wonder if you scream like a little girl it would run the other direction? Good Luck!

That would be an interesting sight, getting cornered with only a crossbow. Might get a little hairy! Scotty

I wonder if you scream like a little girl it would run the other direction?

I've accused my hunting partner (a treaty Sauteau) of having a war-cry that sounds suspiciously like the scream of a frightened nine-year-old girl. He denies it, but I insist that I've heard it.

I have watched my hunting partner take several head of game with his crossbow, and it is impressive how efficiently they work. Of course, this means that everything must be just right. If I'd had my crossbow, I would have had a moose down I do believe. Certainly, I would have had a black bear down. Although, the 350 RM will work very well in those same situations.

Actually, twice I've been charged by grizzlies and on one occasion I stepped on a sleeping bear. I've been lucky. Both charges were bluff, and I didn't have to shoot either bear. The wakened bear "woofed" and ran, which approximates what I was doing as well. We circled one another to see if our respective tags permitted taking the game that had invaded our reverie. He apparently didn't have a tag permitting harvesting a fat, clumsy middle-aged man, and I certainly didn't have a grizzly tag for that zone.

I'm tentatively planning on an excursion tomorrow morning and again tomorrow evening. Perhaps I'll connect with something decent.

DrMike
The problems you have would make a great book. The hunting you have is what dreams are made of. I am humbled and in awe. :shock:
Greg
P.S. How much of the moose season is left?
Still Greg

Back