alliant power pro powder??

matts318

Beginner
Mar 4, 2007
Im looking at the back of a gun mag that has this new series of ball powders from alliant called power pro, they claim increased speed and performance, designed for specific cartridges and applications, and that in enables you to duplicate certain factory loaded ammunition.

Anybody got their hands on any of this stuff? Alliants web site doesnt really tell you anything about any of the 5 new powders or what cartridges they are "designed" for, just that they exist. They have a varmint, which I assume is for 223 type cases, a 2000-mr medium rifle powder, 3000lr large rifle powder, and 4000-mr magnum rifle powder, thats all the description you get.

Im curious as to what cartridges they are supposed to work in and how they do.

Thanks for the link. Many listed loads do not show much increase in velocity. However, the data for the .308 win is interesting. Using 2000LR they are showing velocities in excess of 3,000 ft/sec for the 150gr bullet. That's 200 ft/sec faster than my top loads.

I had them mail me their catalog about a month ago. Doesn't seam to work much better than their other powders in most cases. Maybe less temperature sensitive than their other stuff???

Ok so its nothing special then, it looks a little better in the 308 but looks like its closer to rl 15 in burn rate, only problem is my 308 doesnt like rl 15. Oh well it might be worth a look see if i ever come across some of it.

The 4000 showed really good velocities in the heavier 06 bullets according to the Alliant manual. It runs right with RL17 in most cases. I am going to give it a try when I find some locally. If you are a fan of ball powders it does add velocity would worth trying I think. I get more consistant powder charges from my Lee powder measure with ball powders so I am going to give it a try to see if it has more consistant velocities from shot to shot.

I would think the 3000LR would be the most beneficial of the Power Pro lineup in the overbore cartridges. Ball powders tend to extend barrel life over stick powders and that would be a plus if you had a barrel burner.

Charlie-NY":2au7w96f said:
Thanks for the link. Many listed loads do not show much increase in velocity. However, the data for the .308 win is interesting. Using 2000LR they are showing velocities in excess of 3,000 ft/sec for the 150gr bullet. That's 200 ft/sec faster than my top loads.

DAMMMMMMMM! :shock:

Hmmm, extended barrel life sounds good, so does 3000 fps with a 150 out of a 308, I already get great velocities out of my 308, wonder if I could get close to 3100 with the 155 match bullets and 26" barrel and have it shoot accurate, it would be super flat shooting! well at least for a 308. Wonder if that varminter stuff would shoot good in a 22-250, would like to get a little more life out of that barrel also. I wish some people could get their hands on it, its hard for me to get a new powder right now since I just found good shooting loads for all our rifles except the 300 wsm, just hard to change when your already shooting tiny groups.

Back