Almost bear via jet boat

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
This morning I took a group up a tributary (Big Creek) for silvers. We had a good time hooking many on flies. Time for a pea break I was nosing my 20 foot sled onto the sand bar pictured when this grizz came charging out of the willows. Thankfully I was still idling in, slammed her in reverse and hammered the throttle. None of us are sure if the bear hit the boat or not. Both my guests had gotten to their feet in anticipation of hopping out on the beach. The combination of them trying to jump to the back of the boat and me hitting the gas sent people tumbling with much banging crashing and swearing. I think his head did hit the bow. I got a picture after we moved away from him.
We sat there with the motor running, no body said a word.
Joe finally said " well that was stimulating" expletive deleted.
IMG_0555.JPG
Hope you all had a less eventful day.
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, yeah, that would have got the blood pumping! I have no doubt that everyone was plenty stimulated. Did it take care of nature's urges for some of the passengers?

Timing is everything... Woulda scared the pee outta me.. Have a safe and good day.

salmon chaser,

I am sure this was not your first encounter nor your last, but it never fails to get your attention. We have had bears chase us when canoeing, and it never fails to get our blood pumping just a little faster. I noticed you are from Oregon, but guide in Alaska. That is somewhat, what our grandfather does. He sticks around until the snow flies and then heads south.

Man you have had a couple of grizz encounters this year (y).
I am glad that everything turned out okay.

Blessings,
Dan

yukon huntress":31plg2td said:
salmon chaser,

I am sure this was not your first encounter nor your last, but it never fails to get your attention. We have had bears chase us when canoeing, and it never fails to get our blood pumping just a little faster. I noticed you are from Oregon, but guide in Alaska. That is somewhat, what our grandfather does. He sticks around until the snow flies and then heads south.
I'm thinking your Grandfather is a wise man.

An up date on the bear. Joe also took a couple of pictures. Reviewing his photos we can see a wire snare around his neck. Explains his ornery disposition.

Cheyenne
Bears, grizzly are a daily event. Pretty rare we don't see them around the lodge or while fishing the river. Rarer still would be a fly out trip where we don't have to react to Bears. Take it for granted we'll see them but never take the bear for granted.
This is Jethro, has a big wound on his butt. He usually stays on his side of the river.IMG_0565.JPG
The dogs, Molly and Quizz giving him hell.IMG_0563.JPG

salmonchaser---I hear you sir. Bears are a way of life both in our private life and in my work. We have transported polar bears ( after they were sedated ) away from villages, even named a few of them, studying the grolar's was interesting and we found out one thing for sure. They are by far the most aggressive. I wondered if it was because they were trying to find their identity lol. The grizzly encounters are often but have been somewhat mild compared to the polar and grolar but they do and can keep you on your toes. I saw your dogs, we have a Boykin that has been trained to alert us when bears are around and we love him. they are perfect canoe dogs, as well as good trackers. He also thinks he is hot stuff when he rides in the dog sleds Anyway, glad your having a good fishing trip and I am sure your guests love seeing the bears, kind a win, win

Dr Mike is or soon will be out hunting grizzly, and I hope he gets one, as I am one who believes bear fat is good for arthritis and he will be able too use it on his knees. I want him to be able to take his granddaughter on a goat hunt in a couple of years, as I believe this is the year she starts shooting her own rifle--she is a sweetheart and loves her grandfather

I'm going grizzly hunting, of a sort, tomorrow or the next day. Sent the photo to the local ADFG. They want me to run them up to where our encounter occurred. They'll dart the bear if they can, remove the snare and give him a dose of antibiotics. I'll let you know how it goes

salmonchaser said:
I'm going grizzly hunting, of a sort, tomorrow or the next day. Sent the photo to the local ADFG. They want me to run them up to where our encounter occurred. They'll dart the bear if they can, remove the snare and give him a dose of antibiotics. I'll let you know how it goes

THANK YOU, for doing that

salmonchaser":yovptler said:

Cool!

Trust you are successful in leading ADFG to the bear and that they are able to relieve the poor beast of the snare.

Saw the bear today, couldn't get in position to dart him. He is staying in the immediate area where we originally saw him.

I was fishing in the area on the third, a trooper showed up looking for the bear. Troopers being Troopers he check my log book, fishing guides in Alaska are required to keep a detailed log book every time they leave the dock, the guests license while we talked about the bear.
We stayed in the area as fishing was good, about five minutes after the trooper left the bear showed up.
Still wearing the snare but it appears the log is no longer attached.
Moose season opens tomorrow, his days may be numbered.

Back