Alps OutdoorZ Commander

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
Picked up this freighter frame and pack off Amazon.

Seems to be a decent pack and frame for the money and should be just the ticket for hunting in Alaska. Eventually I’ll probably get a Barney’s pack and frame but for the first couple seasons this should work.

Looking at pack rafts for float trip hunts and fat tire bikes too. I’m finding that Alaska offers a little bit of everything for different types of hunts. Really looking forward to learning how to hunt in Alaska.

If anyone has used this pack/frame combo, or knows someone that did/does, I’d love to read what you have to say about this kit. Also any packraft ideas, thoughts, or suggestions are welcome too.

Vince

You know, some posts remind me of my first time reading things like Jack London. I can't help with your questions, but man I do enjoy this forum.

I'm sure that pack will do just fine for you. While the Barney's is the ultimate in heavy hauling capabilities and durability, they're price tag nowadays is enough to make me choke. Right around $900 for the pack/frame combo last I looked😳. The first 10 or so moose I packed out of the woods was with an old Cabelas outfitter pack that cost about $75 when I bought it. That and a dry bag duffle served as my pack setup for many years.
20200912_094738.jpg

As far as pack rafts are concerned I wouldn't look any further than the alpackas. Very high quality and capable boats.

Don’t know much about packs and frames, but the alps outdoorz turkey hunting chair is the best I’ve used. They seem to make some great products! We’re I in need of a pack, I would definitely check theirs out.

Don’t know much about packs and frames, but the alps outdoorz turkey hunting chair is the best I’ve used. They seem to make some great products! We’re I in need of a pack, I would definitely check theirs out

Back