am i on to something?

yellow dog

Beginner
Sep 17, 2012
would there be any benefit to a partitioned ballistic tip? kind of wonder why it hasn't been done.

Or has it.

Nosler will not change the flag ship bullet that put them in business.

JD338

Some products are best left as they were originally intended.

Other Nosler bullets with the B'tips are fine designs in themselves.

JD338":1pn8oo5v said:

JD338

I think that's a big mistake.

The Nosler B-tip was a giant leap forward in bullet tech. For decades I absolutely hated seeing the finely shaped bullet points being battered in the magazine of my 300Wby. I knew a deformed bullet point would affect both its accuracy and trajectory. And, I hated seeing it... I won't use a Partition because of it.

BTs are my favorite bullets. That's why I'm here... (and of course, you guys... :wink: )

why couldn't we have both?

Tooling aside.

it would be kind of like the new charger on challenger dodge introduced

When this question came up, Nosler's answer was the AccuBond.

No, it doesn't have an actual Partition, but it's designed to expand in a manner very similar to a Partition bullet, yet has the sleek shape and plastic tip found on the Ballistic Tip bullets. From what I've seen, it's worked out real well.

And I like my Partitions with lead tips... :grin:

Guy

At one time I wonder the same about a more streamlined PT/

BeeTee":1c8zohr4 said:
JD338":1c8zohr4 said:

JD338

I think that's a big mistake.

The Nosler B-tip was a giant leap forward in bullet tech. For decades I absolutely hated seeing the finely shaped bullet points being battered in the magazine of my 300Wby. I knew a deformed bullet point would affect both its accuracy and trajectory. And, I hated seeing it... I won't use a Partition because of it.

BTs are my favorite bullets. That's why I'm here... (and of course, you guys... :wink: )

Deformed tips will affect BC some, no doubt about that. But then most dont hunt with PT's at ranges where the BC difference will make the difference.
Deformed tips really don't affect accuracy as much as one would think. The difference when shot side by side in my testing has shown about .2 moa. Most cant hold that dfference. Put a small nick in the base however, and watch the group gth.

Dear Nosler,

Please no changing Partitions. And I'm only 35, so it's not like I've been using them for 50 years like some other guys here.

v/r
Joel

How about we look at it like changing the ballistic tip instead?

or better yet not changing it at all and just adding another to their very popular line (B TIP Lead free, B-tip CT and good old B-tip)

I've learned my lesson never mention the words Partition and change in the same post. "Bad yellow dog" :oops:

The dynamic of C of G and C of B would be changed. Every bullet in the line would have to be redesigned, spun for balance and flight characteristics which would change. Putting plastic where lead once was is not done lightly for spin, balance, stability of flight and accuracy. Sounds like spending a lot of money for not much benefit. A little lift in BC is not worth the expense to make a hybrid of current designs which are not broken.

This question has been going around for years and years. A ballistically superior Partition is the way they engineered the

AccuBond

Quoting from NRA's American Rifleman from their May, 2004 issue:

"While other bulletmakers tout 90 percent weight retention from their bonded bullets, Nosler took a different approach. Its goal is deeper penetration, even at the sacrifice of weight retention. The problem with bonded bullets that are designed for high weight retention is that they quickly form a large frontal area that impedes penetration. Nosler designed its bullet to have about 60 to 70 percent weight retention. That obviously means that it will lose some weight. That's because it's designed to shed some of the expanded bullet material to keep the frontal area of the AccuBond bullet a little smaller than some other bonded bullets. AccuBond is designed for early expansion, but rather than tear completely apart as a Ballistic Tip often will, the AccuBond's petals are designed to fold back tighter against the bullet shank. This makes a slightly smaller diameter mushroom to allow deeper penetration."

The "60 to 70 percent weight retention", "shed some of the expanded bullet material", "frontal area.............a little smaller" and "smaller diameter mushroom to allow deeper penetration" are all Partition characteristics which the AB is designed to emulate

Whey would they do it again on an American legend and many shooter's holy grail?

onesonek":z6t1i7wc said:
Deformed tips will affect BC some, no doubt about that. But then most dont hunt with PT's at ranges where the BC difference will make the difference.
Deformed tips really don't affect accuracy as much as one would think. The difference when shot side by side in my testing has shown about .2 moa. Most cant hold that dfference. Put a small nick in the base however, and watch the group gth.

Back in my 300Wby days (pre-BT), I settled on the 180gr Remington PSPCL bullet for my reloading because of the minimal amount of exposed lead. I also used the Speer Grand Slam for the same reason. All other spitzer bullet tips would flatten to the copper while sitting in the magazine and after firing a round or two. Looks matter to me.

Now, Nosler's advertising touts the ballistic advantage and resistance to tip deformation of their BT. Those are their primary selling points - that and the fact that they are the most consistently accurate bullets I've used. They are also beautiful. They inspire confidence when at the range/field, and create pride for my handloaded ammo. Double-wrapped boxes of gems...

My avatar photo on the left was shot last night. I thought it appropriate to both honor Nosler and to illustrate why I chose BeeTee as a login name. In the photo is a 223, 308 and 7mm Remington Magnum - all loaded with Ballistic Tips. I've shot thousands of BTs through the years. It's a mistake to reject, out-of-hand, suggestions (i.e. BT Partition) offered by loyal Nosler devotees without a thoughtful and logical reason.

I simply won't use a bullet with an exposed lead tip (made by any company) in a magnum rifle because of the ugliness of mangled lead tips. Looks matter to me. BT

Sounds like this could be a marketing issue from Nosler. Is the AccuBond suppose to replace the Partition? I like the Partition design but I'm turn off by the deformed tips. The reason I reload is to have complete control over my loads. I take a great deal of time measuring ever grain of powder. I would never seat a bullet with a deform tip.

Larry

I'm a firm believer in Murphy's laws. Law #2 says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Now unless I'm missing something, Nosler Partitions ain't broke. They've always worked just fine, even when the tip has gotting a bit mangled. I'm not hearing any deer, elk, moose or any of he bears complain that, "Hey! No fair. The bullet he shot me with had a bunged up nose."
I'm not all that sure how to take the picture Speer shows of a, IIRC 180 gr' bullet shot at high speed and air frictions has wiped the spitzer point clean off the bullet. I'll just say I'm a bit skeptical.
I shoot 200 gr. Speer Hot Cores at top speed using a powder no longer available and the bullet noses get flattened out. Guess what? The groups are still MOA or slightly better at 300 yards.

For those so fussy about the condition of the bullet's nose, just send them to me. I'll make very good use of them. :lol:
Paul B.

sounds like I'm not on to something. :cry:

never mess with a man and his partitions. :lol:

still wish we could look at this as adding a different bullet to the Ballistic tip line.

my thinking is simple. Nothing kills like a Partition. Why not beef up a Btip by adding a part. The AccuBond is my favorite bullet but the Part. is a true fail safe. :wink:

Hey what do I know Popcorn is my favorite vegetable!

Oldtrader3":hk7nlul9 said:
The dynamic of C of G and C of B would be changed. Every bullet in the line would have to be redesigned, spun for balance and flight characteristics which would change. Putting plastic where lead once was is not done lightly for spin, balance, stability of flight and accuracy. Sounds like spending a lot of money for not much benefit. A little lift in BC is not worth the expense to make a hybrid of current designs which are not broken.

Ah man this makes my head hurt. :shock: What would happen if you added that Part. to a ballistic tip as oppose to removing the lead for plastic? Would you still have Spin Issues?

thanks

Back