Angled or straight?

G

Guys, I'm considering a spotter as a purchase. It's on my list for going out west (figure if I accumulate all the stuff, I won't have an excuse) and I broke the cheapie I'd been using for 20yrs at the range. So, I need a new spotter. Not thinking to spend a fortune, or at least only a small fortune. Narrowed things down to four different spotters under $1k. Now the choice is, angled or straight eyepiece? I posted this on another forum but I only got a couple of answers. The rub is, I can get a straight scope for dirt cheap. But I'm a little concerned. My old scope was straight, but then again I never tried to use it for much other than the range, as it was a cheapie piece of crap. So I always had trouble seeing through it, and got eye strain. With a better scope, I'm thinking the eye strain won't be as bad, but would I rather have an angled scope for comfort? And, on that note, will I prefer a straight scope when I'm glassing out of the truck window? And how about sitting on a ridgeline looking down into the draws/valley below? Or is there no difference in comfort between angled and straight? Educate me as to which one I want, guys.

A straight is easier to aim and easier to use from a sitting position. They are also easy to use with window mounts from your truck. The angled scope is easier to share. Another advantage of an angled scope is that a lower tripod height is also more stable and will vibrate less. Consequently, angled spotting scopes outsell straight scopes by three to one. It really seems to me that it is a personal preference that dictates what you purchase. What I do know is that when looking through a spotting scope for long periods, as necessitated in much of the hunting out west, the better the optics, that less the eyestrain.

The only time I dislike the straight eyepiece is when in the field, sitting on the ground or lying down, while glassing across canyons and steep hillsides. Most of the time I'm on a steep slope, so a straight eyepiece makes my neck hurt. It's like looking up at the ceiling all day with your chin in the air. All other situations the straight scope is easier. I chose angled just to avoid the stiff neck.

For me, I tried both and went with the straight. It felt much more comfortable. I am sure your local gun shop would allow you to take both outside and try them out.

Angled, most of the time, and when used in prone-shooting. Except when riding in the pick-up, then straight, as then the scope is mounted on a window-mount.

I have a straight scope presently and really do prefer it for range and field use. I had an angled scope before this one and was always fiddling with it to get it is alignment.

I have the angled Swaro and find no reason to change. For all the reason's mentioned by Mike and others, it is easier for me to get set up and share, without having to lift the tripod too high. I use alot of straight ones at work, but it's for a different application.

Back