Another good performance from BT

moreloader

Beginner
Dec 20, 2005
Small cull 7 point buck. Pinned through both front shoulders. Dime in quarter out, and no blood shot.

300WSM 165g BT in front of 69.5 grains w760 little over 100 yards.

Perfect performance!
Congrats on your buck.

JD338

Thanks,

Next toy will be a chrono so right now I can't say a definite muzzle velocity. According to the nosler manual I am hot, but it has been safe in my rifle for 5 years and shows groups between ).291 and 0.401 consitantly for 5 shots at 100 yards. The load was worked up prior to my finding of Nosler number 5 and used a base load of winchester. I believe it to be between 3100-3200. According to trajectories it appears to be closer to 3200. This makes 5 bucks and 1 doe with this load and rifle with shots ranging from 40 yards out to 325 yards with complete pass throughs each time. All of them connecting with some bone

moreloader":2aumdiyx said:
Small cull 7 point buck. Pinned through both front shoulders. Dime in quarter out, and no blood shot.

300WSM 165g BT in front of 69.5 grains w760 little over 100 yards.

According to Quickload you're in the danger zone.

74953 PSI :shock:
3268 fps.

This is a simulation but usually quite accurate

Now 66.5 of Win 760 would give you
3132 fps
64510 PSI----Right below max

According to recoil it is less than factory. I do think I am probably right around the 65000 to 68000. However, with the lubalox winchester says 69.8g behind the 168 g CT BT. Hornady says 69.5 behind their 165 g bullets. I am not sure why all of the data is all over the chart. I have yet to have any flattened primers or sticky bolts though that probably doesn't say much.

Thanks for your simulation,

I will try to get to a chrono and see if my velocity is close to that If it is I may be at those pressures. I worked that load by finding the sweet spot in accuracy and started at 66.0 g and worked up all the way to 70 g. this load was the one that worked the best.

The chronograph is an outstanding tool for the reloader.
Once you buy one, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.
You can get entry level Chronys for under 100 dollars.

They WILL mess with your head, though! You get it in your head that you need to get to some milestone like 3000fps or whatever and then spend tons of money and time trying to find a safe/accurate way to get there!

Or at least, I do.

-jeff

I am planning on acquiring one soon. I have just never had a complete need. I have always been after accuracy above velocity. My load though appearing according to the above simulation to be hot, is actually rather mild in recoil and makes one hole groups at 100. That is why I use it not because of the speed it leaves the barrel.

moreloader":3bmyts9h said:
I am planning on acquiring one soon. I have just never had a complete need. I have always been after accuracy above velocity. My load though appearing according to the above simulation to be hot, is actually rather mild in recoil and makes one hole groups at 100. That is why I use it not because of the speed it leaves the barrel.

Yeah. Be interesting to see if your feeling changes when you see the speed, though! That was all I was saying... personally, for hunting loads, I just can't help but load for accuracy AND speed! If I'm shooting 165's from a 30-06, I want 2900 fps, or else I'd shoot a .308 or 300 Savage or 30-30. And so on.

But I hear you, and I do agree that in most cases (mabye elk and grizzly excepted) accuracy should be the primary concern.

-jeff

Back