Any military rifle shooters out there?

duckcreekdick

Beginner
Jul 26, 2012
I don't see many posts dealing with the care and feeding of old military rifles. I get a great deal of fun with my 1903 Springfield, British Enfields, FN FAL, M1A, Garand, K31 and assorted Mausers. Two weeks ago a friend and I spent a fun morning shooting our British Enfields at steel targets out to about 350 yards. His rifle was a No. 4, Mk.II made by Fazackerley in 1956. My rifle was a No. 1, Mk.3 which had gone thru factory thorough repair and is in great shape. So, if you fellows get tired of shooting tiny groups on paper targets, get out that old warhorse rifle, some ammo, some sight black and have some iron-sighted fun.

I don't have a milsurp or really much interest in them. But lots of folks do. Around here most 03s or A303s I run across are pretty chopped up.
But have fun with your hobby

Our .30-06 Model of 1917 was "sporterized" not long after WWII by Dad when he got home from the service.

I grew up shooting that old beast, and now my youngest son hunts with it. I did however continue to update it since the original sights & stock were long gone. The heart of the old rifle, the action and barrel, are still military, but it's a whole lot handier package now and shoots GREAT!

We've got another old Mauser that's been sporterized, and of course the AR-15's though I know you're not referring to them.

Dad shot competition with a Sweedish Mauser for a few years. All original except for his handloads. I used it to knock over some ram silhouettes at 500 meters. Very nice shooting rifle.

He's still got both a sporterized an original '03 Springfield. Very nice rifles, either way. Not sure if he has held onto his Garand. It was on the chopping block at one point, to be sold. I haven't seen it for a while, so it may be gone.

Yeah, time to time we shoot the old military rifles.

Guy

I collect the old military rifles. I love shooting them and have many that I have worked with that shoot those tiny little groups on paper. A number of years ago I was a member of a club and we had a number of military rifle collectors and shooters in it. Our range was limited to 200 yards so we decided to come up with what we labeled "Old Man's military rifle bench rest". Many were too old and stiff to get into the positions so we shot from a bench rest. Carbines at 50 yards and rifles by category at 100 yard. We would shoot stock military rifles in a category of bolt rifle, Semi Auto in which we would allow ARs. We shot the M1 Garand all by themselves, any carbine could be shot in the carbine category and then we had an open class where any rifle that started out as a military rifle could be shot. We shot for score with 20 shots on two targets that had 1" X-ring. We had a blast. Those 96 Swedes, K-31s and Springfields would blow peoples minds with tiny little groups. One of my K-31s will put the first five shots at 100 yards in the same hole before the barrel starts heating up and then it will shoot the rest of the 15 rounds in the X-Ring in a counter clockwise moving group. I use a 7.5X55 Swiss (Graf case that I understand was made by Prvi) Federal 210M primer, 155 gr Nosler custom competition HPBT C.O.A.L 2.880 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on all loads because it makes them more accurate. The 6.5X55 Swede M-96s really shoot with 37.8 grs IMR 4895, Remington case, CCI BR2 primer, 140 gr Sierra Match King, COAL 3.050 and I DO NOT use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on these loads. For some reason it's use does not improve accuracy in this load. For the 7.62X54R caliber rifles you need to slug the bores to see which diameter bullet you will need. I have never see one that would shoot a .308 bullet accurately myself. Most need .311 but some need .312. Regardless of the model they all really like this load. I use a Graf/Prvi case, CCI 200 primer, 50 grs Accurate 4350, if you need a .311 diameter bullet use the 174 gr Sierra Match king for target and 180 gr for hunting, COAL 3.000 and use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. If you need a .312 bullet use the Hornady 174grs RNSP and COAL 2.790 and Lee Factory Crimp die. We once went to am old strip mine that a friend had permission to shoot on and did some looooooooog range shooting. The most fun part was using our M1 Garands and Springfields to shoot at a rock the size of a pickup truck cab with a 36" circle painted red on it at 1160 yards if my memory serves me correct. We would shoot some tracer bullets we loaded up to see the wind drift and drop but they burned out at around 800 yards, But once you got your elevation set on the sights and then we used Kentucky windage you could put shots in that circle almost every time. GO have some fun.

I'm more of a shooter than a collector of these. I shoot CMP as-issued matches, usually with my K-31, sometimes with the Swede M96 at 200 yards. I shot the swiss G-11 in one match this year and it was really sweet but still needs some load work to bring the zero down to the sights. Also started shooting vintage sniper matches at 300 and 600 yards this year with my PU mosin sniper circa 1943. Those matches are a hoot!!!

I love shooting the old bolt actions and my Garand. The m1 is unfortunately a bit too shot out to run matches with. I've tried probably 50 loads and just can't get under 2 MOA. I have a Finn M39 that will shoot better with 1955 commie surplus. Anyhow, happy shooting, keep those old rifles running. Maybe we'll meet up at Perry some year!

My first "big game" rifle was a Mark 4, No 3 SMLE in .303 Brit. Between that and carrying a M-1 and M-14 in the Army for three years and sleeping with my M-14 in Berlin in 1962, I had enough military rifle for a lifetime. I also owned a M-1 carbine bought from the DCM for $13.00 and owned for several years after the Army which finished off my desire for anything military, rifle wise.

Took my first deer with a Carcano 6.5 carbine, I have 4 m1 Garands -WRA, SA, IHC, & HRA and a m1 carbine. Its fun shooting a piece of history

Not long ago I got a sporterized 1917 Enfield 30.06 for $35.00. It hadn't been shot since the 1960's or early 70's and hadn't been cleaned since well before that. I shot 2 groups before doing anything to it with the iron sights and they were 1.4" and 1.7"(100 yards) I bedded it, free floated it, scoped it and with 55 grains of RL19 and some old 180 grain Sierra Spitzer BT's from Whittier,CA it shoots sub half inch groups!

That is a great shooting rifle, 11 Charlie. My eyes won't permit me to hold that close over iron.

Thanks Dr.Mike. I was amazed it shot that well without even being cleaned. That's why I "spruced it up" more as it showed some potential. My jaw hit the floor when it started printing sub half inch groups! :grin:

I currently own 2 Garands, a 1903A3, 1903, 1917 (had 2, sold one), M1 Carbine, M96 Krag (US), M96 Swedish Mauser, and Swiss K31. All are great shooters. I've hunted with one of the M1's, the Krag, the M1903 and M1903A3, and the 1917 I sold. Old milsurps rock! :)

I have a few Garands and I know there is a carbine laying around here somewhere. I shoot the Garands occasionally. They are a lot of fun.

I own a Mosin Nagant 9130 made in Izvesh in '30. I recently got an Archangel stock and love it. I installed a Timney trigger to ease up on the 12-15 lb trigger pull the original weapon had and now it shoot quite well. I just started reloading and took some wise advice and swaged the barrel. It came out to .311 so I got some 180 gr projectiles for it and have began my experimentation with loads. Unfortunately, the only powder I could find is H380. I was hoping to get some Varget as I have seen this as being "recommended" for large rifle bores. Being that I am loading a .311 the normal reloading data for a Mosin is for a .308 and I don't know if I can trust that data to be what I need. The only weapon chambered in .311 is the British Savage and there is little or no reloading data for that weapon. I started with 46 grains of H380 and since I don't have a chrono I really can't tell what my ballistic characteristic will be. I have seen people recommending going up to 50 grains of powder for this bullet. What are your thoughts on using 50 grains of H380 with this rifle? The bore is clean and bright and the bolt is in fantastic shape with good headspacing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for NC, just about 30 miles from Ft Bragg.

Boz49":3cg3pktx said:
I own a Mosin Nagant 9130 made in Izvesh in '30. I recently got an Archangel stock and love it. I installed a Timney trigger to ease up on the 12-15 lb trigger pull the original weapon had and now it shoot quite well. I just started reloading and took some wise advice and swaged the barrel. It came out to .311 so I got some 180 gr projectiles for it and have began my experimentation with loads. Unfortunately, the only powder I could find is H380. I was hoping to get some Varget as I have seen this as being "recommended" for large rifle bores. Being that I am loading a .311 the normal reloading data for a Mosin is for a .308 and I don't know if I can trust that data to be what I need. The only weapon chambered in .311 is the British Savage and there is little or no reloading data for that weapon. I started with 46 grains of H380 and since I don't have a chrono I really can't tell what my ballistic characteristic will be. I have seen people recommending going up to 50 grains of powder for this bullet. What are your thoughts on using 50 grains of H380 with this rifle? The bore is clean and bright and the bolt is in fantastic shape with good headspacing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for NC, just about 30 miles from Ft Bragg.
With heavy 174 gr match bullets I've had excellent luck in my 91-30 PU sniper with IMR 4350. Also did well with Varget. Check Hodgedon data. I have used H380 in mine for fireforming some brass/practice loads but don't remember the charge weight. Accuracy was OK which is normal for this rifle and new brass. Just checked Hodgedon's data. 50 gr is max with a 180 gr .308 bullet so I would approach that with caution with .311 bullets.

Man, I would love to have an 03 or 1917 rifle. Those old warhorse bolt guns are too darned cool!

SJB358":zv6x2it4 said:
Man, I would love to have an 03 or 1917 rifle. Those old warhorse bolt guns are too darned cool!

My concern with you owning one is that you'd wind up tinkering with it! :)

Just givin' ya a hard time, Scotty.

:twisted:

I have both the 03 and 03A3, plus a really nice 1917. If we ever get to share some range time, I'll bring them along if you want. I even have a decent supply of surplus M2 Ball ammo.

tddeangelo":10ph0141 said:
SJB358":10ph0141 said:

My concern with you owning one is that you'd wind up tinkering with it! :)

Just givin' ya a hard time, Scotty.

:twisted:

I have both the 03 and 03A3, plus a really nice 1917. If we ever get to share some range time, I'll bring them along if you want. I even have a decent supply of surplus M2 Ball ammo.

Whats the point of owning rifles if you can't tinker with them?

Normally, I'd agree, although I would probably come close to losing my lunch if I saw a good 1903 get cerakoted and d/t'ed for a scope....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:

tddeangelo":3gayj3fc said:
Normally, I'd agree, although I would probably come close to losing my lunch if I saw a good 1903 get cerakoted and d/t'ed for a scope....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:

Yeah, I could probably resist if it was a nice one. Bill had a pair of nice ones awhile back. Probably be fun to shoot steel with em..

Back