any value to old brass

colt45

Beginner
Jun 2, 2006
My dad gave me a bunch of brass to reload for him. In the mix there is some with W-W super and some with a SEARS head stamp.(I dont think he has ever thrown a piece of brass away) It is mostly once fired 308 win and 243 win stuff in good condition. Is there any "collector value" or is it load and shoot stuff?

The only caution I would apply is that with old brass (or new brass) of mixed headstamp, you may experience differences in pressure one headstamp to the next, so max charges may be lower in some brass than other. If you are a cautious reloader, and you don't wish to max out the load, you can safely load mixed headstamp brass for plinking and target practice. If you want to load up some max loads, segregate the brass by headstamp and work up carefully. Even brass of the same headstamp and different lot numbers can vary pressure, so be careful any way you cut it. But as Baltz said, load and shoot!

I should have stated that ther are 180 rnds of the W-W SUPER and 140 rnds of the SEARS, all in original boxes and all were orginally loaded with the 150 grn Winchester Silvertip. All are once fired and i checked case volume by H2O both were within 1 grn of new Winchester brass and any time a different componet is introduced, I start low and work up. By the way, the 150 grn Silvertip is all I've ever known my dad to shoot in his Savage 99. Several years ago when Winchester stopped production, he bought every box he could get his hands own and he is down to about 4 boxes left, for special occasions. I am now loading the 150 grn AB for his new rifle. He said it would be just wrong to shoot anthing else in the Savage. Thanks for the info and happy blastin.

Back