Anybody know anything about Nightforce?

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
I'm still weighing options for glass on my M70 Coyote 7WSM. I've kind of been thinking about a 30mm VX3 4.5-14, but a lot of the guys at 24HCF don't seem to like that particular scope. (Shockingly, I have yet to mount my 1" version yet.) Also thinking about a (another) 4.5-14x44 Conquest. But what has been starting to interest me is the NF 3.5-15x50, but there are so many choices, I have no idea what I'm looking for. Reticles, zero stop, hi speed adjustments, .250MOA vs .1Mil-Rad. Anybody have any experience with NF?

I've shot using a lot of Night Force scopes. Quality glass, but the scopes are heavy. They are bullet proof, but such ability to take knocks comes at a price in weight. There are no flies on either the Leupold VX3 or the Conquest, however. Each is a great scope.

NF's are used along with Schmidt and Bender here in the MC. Both are awesome glass, but I am not sure if you will notice the difference unless you are planning on extreme shooting and even then, I am not sure you would either. They are nice scopes. Scotty

Thanks, guys. Not really worried about the weight, as the rifle it's going to go on is a bit of a porker already, and pretty much all it's gonna kill is steel and paper, so no long hikes in it's future.

DrMike":1fz68ht0 said:
I've shot using a lot of Night Force scopes. Quality glass, but the scopes are heavy. They are bullet proof, but such ability to take knocks comes at a price in weight. There are no flies on either the Leupold VX3 or the Conquest, however. Each is a great scope.

I agree, great scopes but pigs!

POP":2vn3c1g7 said:
DrMike":2vn3c1g7 said:

I agree, great scopes but pigs!

They are tough though! Never seen an M40 ride in a GMV (armored Hummer) and take such a pounding and retain its zero. Absolutely confidence inspiring. Scotty

The Night Force scopes are tough, so is the price. They start around $1600 and go up from there.

JD338

I just purchased my first NF, gonna put in on my 338 edge space gun when its done. haven't used it so can't help ya much, however shawn carlock of defensive edge told me, NF is best for LR shooting, but if you own a mark 4 loopy, and never own a NF, you won't miss not having one.
RR

RR, how'd you spec yours out? Reticle? Mil or MOA?

Nothing the guys before have not said.

NXS - Made to fall out of a Blackhawk and still work. Built like a tank and weighs 1/2 as much.

I got a NBR 12-42 with the NP-R2 reticle, flippin awesome scope... Big Monster it is, but only gets carried from truck to firing line and back again.. Only regret is I wished I gotten the NP-R1, but still love the 2 MOA hash marks.. Sure wish they would put the side parallex adj on the NBR series...

Best hunting scope for the money is the VXIII in the 30 mil tube and 40 obj with M1 turrets in the pwr range of your choice..

Rod

Once again, thanks guys. I knew about the downside to NF going in (weight of the scope, relative lightness of your wallet after purchase) but there's so many options on NF's website that I was a little overwhelmed. Getting her narrowed down some.

for what it is worth.
I like the nightforce. I like ziess diavari and swarovski better. All are brighter that the leupolds that I have seen. the conquest is an ok scope but nowhere near as good as the diavari or the Swaro, but I think better than Leupy. I would like to see the night force in a side by side, but I have not done that test.

Hardpan

I have a couple of them one 3.5-15x56 with a mil-dot reticle and mil adjustments, and a 5.5-22x50 with and mlr and moa adjustments. If your going to get into tactical and timed long range sniper style shoots get the zero stop. If your sitting on a bench shooting paper or steel targets I would save the 200 dollars. As far as the high speed its nice to go twenty minutes per turn in moa or 10 mils in a mil adjustment but I like the positive feeling clicks in the standard turret. As far as clarity and repeatability you can't beat it for the money. Npr2 is one moa per hash mark vertically and. Two moa per hash mark horizontally. Npr1 is 2 moa per hash mark both directions. Those are what a lot of guys use in the moa format. The mil side has the standard mil-dot reticle, and the mlr reticle. The mlr has hash marks in half and full mil increments. I think you may want to keep the reticle and adjustments the same either moa moa or mil mil. That way there will be no math involved in your corrections if you want to dial it instead of using a holdover. Hope this helps.

Great scope but I went with MK4 because of the TMR reticle. Just love the center aperture. Great for aiming at long distances.

Looking at the target at 100 meters

DSC01567.jpg

at 1332 yards

DSC00272.jpg

usmc89,

Welcome to the forum. It is good to have another Jarhead aboard. I appreciate your input; it sounds positive.

Rommel,

Your posts are always informative. I really appreciate the pictures, which give a good understanding. Thanks.

usmc 89":16weqptx said:
I have a couple of them one 3.5-15x56 with a mil-dot reticle and mil adjustments, and a 5.5-22x50 with and mlr and moa adjustments. If your going to get into tactical and timed long range sniper style shoots get the zero stop. If your sitting on a bench shooting paper or steel targets I would save the 200 dollars. As far as the high speed its nice to go twenty minutes per turn in moa or 10 mils in a mil adjustment but I like the positive feeling clicks in the standard turret. As far as clarity and repeatability you can't beat it for the money. Npr2 is one moa per hash mark vertically and. Two moa per hash mark horizontally. Npr1 is 2 moa per hash mark both directions. Those are what a lot of guys use in the moa format. The mil side has the standard mil-dot reticle, and the mlr reticle. The mlr has hash marks in half and full mil increments. I think you may want to keep the reticle and adjustments the same either moa moa or mil mil. That way there will be no math involved in your corrections if you want to dial it instead of using a holdover. Hope this helps.

Yeah, that's what I was looking for, thanks. Still saving for the NF, but that helps with the pending choice.

And welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service!

Which mk4 do you have? I sent an older vxIII 4.5-14x40 off to leupold last year and had m1 knobs and tmr put in. It sits on my 308 and does well. Relatively inexpensive mod around 380 I think for both and had it back in a week. I do like the tmr a little better than my mlr in the nightforce. Apparently they have an mlr 2 coming out in there new ffp models.

BK":3n4l5xm8 said:
usmc 89":3n4l5xm8 said:

Yeah, that's what I was looking for, thanks. Still saving for the NF, but that helps with the pending choice.

And welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service!
thanks, are you going to buy new or used? if your buying used snipers hide always has people that want the latest and greatest so you can get some good deals on optics there. It is well screened you should have no problems with product or shipment if you decide to go that route.

Back