Anyone Handle the Current Ruger #1S in 35 Whelen?

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
Now that they are a dying breed, I see that one of the current offerings for 2016 is a #1S Medium Sporter in 35 Whelen. How did I miss this BTW? I think the medium weight sporter might be a tad nicer to shoot, and probably a bit more accurate, than the lightweight sporter that was released previously.

Seems like it would be a perfect companion to my Remington 722 in 35 Whelen AI. Have tons of standard brass, bullets, bullet molds, etc.

Has anyone taken a look at one? Lots to be found online, however there are only stock photos available. Want to actually see the one I am getting, since a #1 with ugly wood isn't on my want list.

Thanks

Never knew they made one and might be something I want to invest in. What on line sites are they listed?

Gunbroker has hundreds listed (some vendors have 75+ in inventory), and I am sure any of the Lipsey's associated dealers can get you one.

I've only handled the 300 winmags in the Medium #1 and it was a sweety! I've had several #1s through the years and every one of them had a spongy trigger pull. Ugh. I did do some research and found where replacement triggers are made for them and Brownell has trigger parts available. I am too picky now for "less than" triggers on any rifle I have. I want that "zero creep/break like a glass rod/no over travel" feeling now, ha. A good "pair" would be the 9.3x62 and the 450/400 (did I say that right?)

I seem to recall that Ruger made some 35 Whelen Number One S rifles a few years ago? Maybe for Cabelas?

Sure that I handled one at Cabelas in Post Falls Idaho, and was impressed that it was so much lighter and handier than my .375 H&H Number One.... Smaller contour barrel. Really nice balance, like a good shotgun!

Guy

The ones before were the #1A's, which are the light spotters.

Well, the wife gave me the go ahead, so now I need to find a pretty one. Saw a pic of a recent RSI that had amazing wood, so there is hope I will succeed.

I would like to get one to open the chamber up to 35 Whelen Ackely Improved what would be my idea of the perfect North American big game rifle. Maybe not the long range rifle cartridge some may prefer but then that's why they call it hunting. Find the game stalk close enough for a clean kill shot with a cartridge that will get the job done like the 35 Whelen. I think the Ackely version makes it that much better.
Anyone want to by a M70 push feed 7mm Remington in a Boyds laminated stock that's been pillar
bedded? :grin:

I may have it improved at some time, since the guy who did my 35 WAI is still kicking.

Shockingly, the local shop has one. I'm going to take a look at it and see what the wood is like. I can order one from another shop for $200 less, but the wood will be a crap shoot with no recourse to return it.

Did end up finding one with some nice wood. Nobody on Gunbroker would send a photo, and only the one local place had one. I've got a down payment on the way. A little more than the lowest prices on GB, but I got to see it first, and he has a presence on some of the forums. I like supporting the little shops and from what I have seen of his posts, he's a good guy.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics - these are the ones he sent me.

32009010455_84a8f831f2_c.jpg

31860944962_a086f775a0_c.jpg

Looks quite attractive. Can't imagine that you will be disappointed; in fact, I'm guessing you'll be ecstatic when you get your hands on that rifle!

Sorry, I have not handled one in 35 Whelen, but have handled and shot other calibers.

The RSI mentioned above would be very interesting. I realize that one would lose some velocity in the shorter barrel, but it would still be a great rifle for close range hunting of large game!

I agree that the presence of nice wood on the Ruger No. 1 sure adds to the overall presence and personality of the rifle. Adds to the experience of owning a beautiful rifle.

I too like to support the smaller, local gunstores. Even more so when the proprietor takes the extra effort to provide quality customer service. But when and where I do not get quality customer service, I do not return. I will pay a reasonable amount extra if I am getting quality service, vs paying less somewhere else where I do not get quality customer service. Plus I will be a repeat customer to that service.

You just do not get that today from the bigger outlets, where the young people behind the counter do not know, understand or appreciate customer service. Most work for minimum wage and do not receive proper training in product knowledge, sales and customer service.

Back