anyone played with the new remington trigger

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
The one with the external screw?

My buddy picked up an XHR for a song before the rebates went away and you can say what you want about the triangle barrel I could take it or leave it but I would have and should have taken one for the price he did

Anyway he was telling me that to lighten the trigger you unscrew the adjustment screw. Problem with that is he has fat fingers and he dont like how it sticks out.

So does anyone know if he were to unscrew it all the way and remove it (if possible) would it mess anything up inside?

If he likes it really light does teh screw even need to be in place?

And if it can be removed any reason why you couldnt get a shorter set screw and pu tit in place of the OE?

Maybe if I had been able to handle one I could answer this for myself but thats why I am here asking the experts

I really have mixed emotions about the new Remington triggers. I own four Remington rifles which have the X Mark Pro triggers that are NOT externally adjustable. In all cases I found a simple removal from the stock and adjustment of the trigger return spring has led to a safe, reliable, 2.5 pound trigger.

A friend has a new XCR II that has the externally adjustable X Mark Pro trigger and I am less than impressed. If you do a search on the internet and ask about adjusting the new triggers you can find some heated discussions. A lot of people are, indeed, just taking the external adjustment trigger out all together. Most are commenting that the trigger pull is still over 3 pounds.

The trigger on my friends's XCR measured over 4 pounds and turning that external screw way out, so that it was sticking out of the trigger (and hitting your finger) did no good at all. There was no change that I could detect on my Lyman trigger scale. I was going to remove it from the stock and see what I could do, but thought I would screw the adjustment screw back in so that it just barely stuck out, not too anoying. Much to my surprise after doing so the trigger is now an even 3 pounds. Maybe your buddy should try finding a sweet spot on the adjustments.

I did screw my trigger screw out on the Remington CDL 25-06 I had. I HATED the way it stuck out. Just really annoying and I couldn't tell if it really changed the weight all that much. That was another annoyance from my CDL, but it was minor compared to other parts of it. Scotty

One of my friends bought a 280 Mountain Rifle for his gal.
That screw sticking out of the trigger annoyed the hell out of both of us during a load development session.It was so annoying that on the way home we stopped at the gunstore and bought a Timney trigger for it.

Makes you wonder "What were they thinking?"

Howard

Back