Anyone recomend RAMSHOT powder?

GermanShorthair

Beginner
Jan 1, 2008
I haven't heard much talk about ramshot powder.Is it worth messing with :?:
I load 223 AR-15 and bolt,22-250,300RUM,6mm ppc,35 REM,204 ruger,and a few others..... recomend ramshot for any of these :?:

I haven't used a lot of it but Ramshot Hunter meters through the powder measure like a dream compared to most extruded powders. I can throw very consistent charges with it, without resorting to trickling and weighing each charge. It also produces excellent accuracy from my .300 WSM.

Other guys I shoot with have used Ramshot Tac for seriously accurate loads from their .308's and .260's. They like it for the same reason - it flows really well through the powder measures on their progressive reloading machines. Yes, match-grade accuracy can be produced by a progressive loading machine.

Am not sure why Ramshot doesn't get more publicity. From what I've seen, it's good powder.

Regards, Guy

I have used Tac in my 308 and 22-250 with excellent results. Like Guy said it meters great. I have had very good accuracy and velocities. You may want to use a magnum primer, depending on your other componants. Plus it is 2-4 dollars cheaper per pound. The only reason I don't use more of it is because I have this thing about loading my cases to the highest % volume wise (all other things being equal). So I tend to favor Hodgens and Reloader powders.

Also one person in shooting and hunting that I hold in high regard, John Barsnes Wolfe Publications (Handloader, Rifle and Successful Hunter mags), is very big on the Ramshot line. To me that says a lot.

Long

Ramshot Big Game is now my go to powder for my 22-250. My Big Game load shoots the 55 gr. SBT's at .5" in my rifle.

......and imagine my surprise when I got my new Nosler #6 and it showed Big Game as the most accurate powder tested. :lol:

I am also working with Ramshot Magnum in my 7mm STW.

They meter great and are not as temperate sensitive.

Bob

Hmm, I am going to have to pick up some Big Game for my 22-250 and do a little experimenting. Although I have had super results with Varget and Reloader 15.

Long

Ramshot Hunter is my powder of choice in 300WSM, 30-06, 30-06 AI, 7mm-08/160gr. I also use it in one of my 6.5x55/140gr with excellent results.
Ramshot BigGame is my powder of choice in 7mm-08/140gr and 9.3x62.
Ramshot X-T works great in my 221 Fireball. Excellent accuracy and velocity. X-T is also in the top three of my favorite powders in my 7.62x39.
I tried Magnum in my 6.5x55's with Oh-Hum results. Accuracy was just so-so and velocity was poor. So far that is the only powder load combo I was disappointed in using Ramshot powders.

Check out their web site for more detailed info on different powders. If you can find it give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Ramshot TAC has usually been pretty good in my .223's and I used Magnum in the 6.5-284 I had. It would also work the Rem Mags, Win Mags, and RUMs.

I've used only Magnum powder of the Ramshot line. It is a great powder for my 30-378 producing .7 MOA with 200 grn. :oops: ahmm Sierra GameKing's.(I will try AB's for Elk) I loaded up to 1.0 below max charge and it was very accurate, went higher without pressure signs, but don't need taht extra grain if it screws up my accuracy.

According to the Ramshot load data(free from dealer etc.) flyer. The 300 RUM with Nosler Partition 165grn bullet and Magnum powder should use a 90.0 up to a max charge of 100.0grns. Velocity from a 24" barrel listed at 2967-3297fps. In 180 grn Nosler Partition Start load at 86.4 grn up to a max charge of 106.4 grns. Velocities start @ 2894fps up to 3216fps max load.

Here is the link to their posted load data

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

I would really like to see this powder line grow because it is so nice to load, and gives great results. Unfortunately, I have a very hard time getting it unless I go into the USA myself and carry it across.

Happy shooting.

I use RAMSHOT MAGNUM in my 270 WSM with the Sierra 140 gr HPBT. Using RAMSHOT's published load data , I have found that 73.8gr and a CCI 250 primer in WIN cases, will 6/10 times print three holes touching (best is .310"). This is from my Tikka T3 Lite.

I tried MAGNUM with 160 AB in my 280 Remington and it was terrible. Best group was 1.75" and as large as 3"

Marshal

TAC is good for the 35REM with 200gr bullets and 20 inch or longer barrels. It is very clean burning , proved to be a little too slow for my 18.5 inch ported barrel. I could not reach the same velocities as I can with H4895 and the 200gr CLRN (2200fps). The TAC does better than the H4895 in 20inch barrels. I think I could get say 2100fps before I ran out of barrel length.

I suspect it should be good for the 308win, 358win and most 22 cal cartridges say 222rem and up. I also use H4895 for the 358win so TAC is right there with some veriation for different cartridges.

Also their ballistion is not shy about loading the 35rem up to the pressure levels of the 30-30 win for guns like the 336/760/7600/modle7. 2100-2200fps is very safe and very do-able. In fact these velocities are acheived at less than 30-30win pressures and neither's case is inferior to the other in terms of pressure levels for these guns not the old model114's/14's/8's.

Back