Anyone shooting Nosler .300wm brass?

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
I bought some and there is more on SPS as seconds. I'm wondering how it compares to WW for durability. I have a bunch of RWS but I know I'm giving up some velocity using it in my 7-300wm and 6.5-300wm. The stuff is so tough it's ridiculous but it would be nice to have another 100fps too. I'll probably build another 6.5-300wm with a 32" 1.25" barrel and it would be cool to go over 3400fps with 140's in it with the Retumbo load I use now and maybe push 3500fps with R-33. Right now my Retumbo load is doing 3225fps and the R-33 load is doing 3290fps in a 28" barrel with RWS brass.

My buddy uses them and loves them. So far they have held up well. He like his speed in his rifles.
Russ

I am running the 264WM Nosler brass and running the 140 AB's at 3200 in it. It is holding up really well. Lost a few early on to a loose primer pocket with loads that were too warm, but since I found that one, I haven't lost any. I think it is good stuff. Not sure it is Lapua tough though.

I just ordered 100 pieces of Nosler .338 WM brass.

When I start shooting it and working up loads I'll post my subjective findings. In my .300 WM, due to the drought on reloading supplies, I purchased some once fired Black Hills Match .300 Win Mag brass. I don't know who made it but I'm impressed with it.

Prior to that I was using Remington, Winchester, and Federal. Let me just say I'm not impressed with that brass. As a general rule I favor Winchester brass but not with what I've experienced in the .300 WM. It may be fine for the 25/06 but it doesn't seem to be as good for the .300 WM.

I think all domestic brass is inconsistent, I have had good Remington brass and bad stuff. For Winchester brass in recent years their 300 WSM was good but their 264 WM was the worst I have ever seen. In the end it looks like it is better to start with great brass like Norma or Lapua instead of messing with sorting inferior stuff.

For durability you will be hard pressed to beat RWS but it is thick and you give up volume because of it. I have several cases that have 5-6 ejector marks on the case head yet the primer pockets are as tight as new. Even Lapua can't do that. The down side is you lose velocity with the low volume.

For my Legacy in 300 Win, I started from the beginning with Nosler brass. I couldn't have been more pleased, as my groups with the 200gr AB were way sub-inch. The first couple went into 0.37" and the last went into 0.14". It remains the best group I've ever fired and it is the most accurate rifle I own. It's only spitting 'em at about 2700FPS, but I don't care. The brass is the finest I've ever used. Obviously, I'm not building very much pressure and testing the limits of the case, but the Nosler brass has really been a pleasure to work with and saved me a ton of prep time.
***As a side note, watch your lot numbers. As I recall, Scotty got two different lot numbers with different case volumes and it left him scratching his head for a little while in his 264 Win. I think even the NOSLER stamp was different. Scotty, please smack me if I'm wrong and putting out bad dope on what happened.***
Joe

EOD Diver":jfzgpl4o said:
For my Legacy in 300 Win, I started from the beginning with Nosler brass. I couldn't have been more pleased, as my groups with the 200gr AB were way sub-inch. The first couple went into 0.37" and the last went into 0.14". It remains the best group I've ever fired and it is the most accurate rifle I own. It's only spitting 'em at about 2700FPS, but I don't care. The brass is the finest I've ever used. Obviously, I'm not building very much pressure and testing the limits of the case, but the Nosler brass has really been a pleasure to work with and saved me a ton of prep time.
***As a side note, watch your lot numbers. As I recall, Scotty got two different lot numbers with different case volumes and it left him scratching his head for a little while in his 264 Win. I think even the NOSLER stamp was different. Scotty, please smack me if I'm wrong and putting out bad dope on what happened.***
Joe

Nope, you are spot on Joe. Exactly what happened. It was a 20-30 grain difference in weight..

I know a guy that's measured and weighed his 300 win nosler brass and he swears its identical to his Norma brass.

I'm anxious to try some out in my 300 winnie once I burn up my WW brass.

I tried 30-06 Nosler brass and my primer pockets got loose after 3-4 reloads. I had to toss 50% of it. I just bought another box today and we'll see what happens.

I was running RL-17, H4350, and IMR4350 on the hotter end of the chart.

168 TTSX ran at 2911 with 56.5 of IMR4350 in a 22" barrel - seems hot but not much in pressure signs.

Have not been able to get any as of yet and I do look for it on a regular basis. I have been happy with the Nosler brass so far in other calibers. I did have to do the flash holes in 15 out of 50 280 rem brass last year but other than that no issues.

Welcome aboard, Stonewall. I appreciate the post. I always appreciated WW brass, though recently I've gravitated to Norma, Lapua and RWS when available. I still prefer WW over RP, for sure.

RWS 300wm brass was fairly available until the component grab that start the end of last year. I bought 500 rounds of brass just prior to that. With it being so tough 500 rounds will last a LONG time.

I did shoot some of the Nosler brass and I did pick up about 100fps with it. I think I'll wait until I get my new barrel fitted to fully ring it out.

I would consider firing a belted mag case ten times with the hunting load excellent brass.
I would only use this fired up to four times for serious hunting ammunition .
This is f.l. sized each time with proper dies and the shoulder pushed back .002 .

Many years ago I loaded ammunition for a friends African plains game trips.
I used Winchester .300 Win brass fired one time and properly f.l. sized to the chamber.
H-4831 (Scotland) 72.5 gr and 200 gr Nosler Partition or Swift Aframe bullets with a Federal 215 primer.

This load chronographed at 2830 fps in an old Ruger 77 .300 Win 24" Douglas Ruger factory barrel - chamber and shot extremely well .
74 gr H-4831 gave 2950 fps but the few test rounds taken to Africa with this load all came back with expanded primer pockets.

Now I am looking for .300 Win brass for another rifle being built for another friend by Jim Borden .
minimum 2 boxes = 40 cases
maximum 6 + boxes = 120 cases

Loads will be worked up with a R.S.I. pressure trace system this time .
The .308 210 gr LR looks interesting for sheep hunting .

I will email Mandy at Martini Gunmakers Ltd again to see if she can find some R.W.S. .300 Win Mag cases.
I did contact them this spring on the subject.

I have a fifty round bag of the current .300 Win Winchester brass put away but again I am not pleased compared to the older Winchester product .

Glenn

Back