Arbor press/Wilson dies - precision loading

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
For those who have never seen them - here's a few photos to illustrate how one loads with an arbor press and Wilson in-line dies. It's considerably different than with a standard press and screw-in dies:

HartPress.jpg

RW Hart arbor press, Wilson dies and components.

tools02.jpg

A tiny dab of sizing die wax on the case neck is all that's needed.

wilson05.jpg

The neck-sizing die with bushing and decapper exposed.

wilson07.jpg

Bushing removed. They're avail in different sizes so optimal neck tension can be set.

wilson01.jpg

Press the lightly lubed case into the sizing die with the arbor press.

wilson02.jpg

When it's flush - you're good.

wilson03.jpg

Flip the die over, and de-cap. This also shoves the sized case out.

wilson04.jpg

The neck sized case. Ready for priming, charging w/powder and any other case-prep work deemed necessary.

wilson10.jpg

Place the sized, charged case on the base, set the bullet atop, and set the seater die over it.

wilson11.jpg

wilson12.jpg

Gently press the bullet into the case mouth. Arbor presses are all about smooth, easy loading. It's not about a lot of force, it's about a lot of precision.

wilson13.jpg

Presto! A loaded cartridge! This one is a .204 Ruger, let's go find a varmint!

I was introduced to this method of loading some years ago by a fellow who won the Hunter Benchrest Nationals last summer. He's been loading this way for decades and taught me the basics. It works well. Production rate is about the same for me as if I was using a conventional press. I believe the biggest accuracy gains come from the in-line seater die. Time to time I'll still do all my sizing on the RCBS Rockchucker, then seat the bullets with the Wilson dies. It works out well. Cases tend to last a long time because only the neck is being worked, and not much. I use this setup to load for two .308's as well as a .204 and my .25-06 deer rifle. There's very little case-neck stretching, because there is no expander ball being hauled back through the neck. My apologies to Nosler because I wasn't loading w/Nosler bullets when the whim struck to photograph the process... :oops: Mostly I use this process with .30 cal Nosler competition bullets and my .308 Win match rifle.

Regards, Guy

I have loaded with the in line dies for several calibers but have since switched to the Forster Co-Ax press, Redding Type "S" bushing neck dies, no expander ball, and either a Redding or Forster competition seater. Loads very concentric ammo and is faster than the Wilson die/arbor press method. I know speed is not necessary for loading but when you load for many different calibers each year it sure helps. If I were loading just for a few calibers and for my own use I may have stayed with your system.Rick.

Rick - absolutely! There are more than one way to skin this cat of accurate reloads. I think your setup is capable of producing extremely accurate loads. Heck, David Tubb has a whole chapter in his book about how to use the Dillon 650 to crank out superbly accurate handloads... So, "my" way, with the Wilson dies surely isn't the only way - but for some reason it does fascinate me. I like both the process and the results.

Lately I've been using some recent-manufacture Hornady screw-in dies for .300 WSM on my Rockchucker, and I have to admit, they're turning out very good ammo...

Regards, Guy

Guy,

Great pictoral tutorial!! Where you when I first ventured into Wilson dies?? I too do a combo of this and that. When I want to be persnickity, I use my Wilson stuff to seat bullets, but generally I use Redding resizing/seating dies in my CoAx ..

Again, thanks for great job!!

Rod

Rick,

I've thought about using my Hornady pistol expander die (with a flat top) upside down in my co-ax, and using it as a "ram" or stop for my co-ax, removing the shell holder from the platen, and using the co-ax like an arbor press with Wilson dies. Do you think that might work? How tall are they typically (for a 308 or 30-06 length cartridge)?

Guy,

Thanks for posting the tutorial on in line die loading. Nicely done!

JD338

BigJake, there is not sufficient room for the seating die with the micrometer top, checked one in 7/08.Rick.

. Allways nice to see a different method to do what we all love to do. All hand built ammo is normally more accurate than store bought. And a hole lot more enjoyable to shoot . Keep up the good work. How do you like the 204 Ruger round, what bullet wieght do you shoot most? And in what rifle do you shoot this round?

Thank TIM

Nice post Guy,
I have never seen an arbor press. Now I understand why it's called an ARBOR press.
Can you make wine with it too. :lol:
Sorry I couldn't resist.

Back