Are the M48's barrels made by Pac-Nor

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
I seem to recall the NCR's having a Pac-Nor barrel, would that also be true of the M48's??

JT.

Yes, Pac-Nor makes the barrels for Nosler.

JD338

I hear good things about Pac Nor barrels, but have never tried one. Might be something I need to try...

Pac-Nor makes a fine barrel. I have shot quite a few of their barrels on custom rifles. All shot well and were exceptionally well-built. Nosler made a great choice in choosing these barrels for their rifles.

I have a Pac-Nor, but I ordered it with a faster twist than I needed and now I need heavy for caliber bullets and maybe a rechamber to a severe overbore to get the potencial out of it. It's a 1-8.5 chambered in 264 withi a turn neck and it shoots 140 VLDs and SMK's very well. I would have tried the Nosler 140 CC's in it, but can't get them most of the time.

I may try the 142 SMK or try to scare up some really heavy wildcat bullets, but have been unsuccessful to this point.

JT.

Of course, nosler could build me a 155 or 160 grain Custom Comp bullet that would look like a pencil without the lead point...... Would be spectacular.

JT.

I have some Barnes Original .264/165 gr Semi-Spitzers, I don't know of anything heavier. Norma sells several 156 gr bullets too.

I thought Nosler was using the Wiseman barrels in the NCRs...jim

Well I talked to Pac-Nor about a barrel for myself the other day (280 AI) and they said that they made all the 280 AI barrels for Nosler. I never hear anything bad about them, and they are made in Oregon, as is Nosler.

And Pac-Nor is one of the few custom barrel makers to list a barrel in 9.3 mm. Guess which tube I've ordered for my 9.3 X 64. I won't be unhappy.

Pac Nor has ALWAYS been a great outfit to deal with making outstanding barrels - I have had many jobs done by them (Chris Dischter used to be the owner, not sure if his son took over) but mostly I had them do the fit and chambering too without issues of any type - AND, as stated, they are an OREGON company

They were very nice when I called then while deployed. Helpful and very informative while speaking with them on the phone. I know they would be one of my first choices for a barrel of any type. Scotty

I ended up getting the 280 AI barrel. Shoots great, and they were very nice to deal with! My next barrel will be from them as well.

just for clarification sake the point should be made that PacNor "finishes" the barrels, the "barrel blank manufacturer makes the barrels, it is common practice for several barrel "makers" and/or gunsmiths to go together to purchase a "lot" of barrel blanks which normally come in 1" tubes 30" +/- long to do their lathe work, bore finishing, threading & chambering, etc ...

jtoews80":3m821e0w said:
I seem to recall the NCR's having a Pac-Nor barrel, would that also be true of the M48's??

JT.

All of the Nosler rifles have Pac-Nor barrels, and they are a great company to work with.

PacNor does an outstanding job with their barrels - they've been doing it long enough for sure ...

I don't know at what stage PacNor hands off the barrels to Nosler but whatever the arrangement it appears to be a good "marriage" of workmanship and skill

John Rigby & Co. use Pac-Nor barrels in super match grade for all their guns...you can request something different, but Geoff Miller swears by Pac-Nor and I have never seen one that wasn't more accurate than a shooter was capable of shooting...

Nosler made an excellent choice to barrel their rifles...

Back