Australian - Lithgow - 303 Lee Enfield No1 Mk3 1919 ShtLE

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I had a very close friend who die one year ago who left me a rifle and his family brought it to me last night. It is a Australian Armory 303 Lee Enfield No1 Mk3 manufactured at the Lithgow factory in Australia in 1919.

It was never issued for service to any unit and the only use was it being tested at the factory at Lithgow and then stored. It is not a fake or later build of parts bought from the Australian Amory. We know this because the serial numbers are the SAME in the FOUR places (Nose Cap, underneath and at the bottom of the Back Sight, the front right hand side of the Receiver Ring and the back of the Bolt Handle) where they are suppose to be and the Butt Plate is brass as manufactured by the Aussie's. Here are some pictures.

You will note the stock condition as unused in the field. Note the bluing on the bolt and inside the receiver as well as the bluing still on the back and front sight due to not being used. Also note the rifling is new and unused in the field. When I used foam bore cleaner and let it set for 45 minutes in the bore it was almost white just a tad of blue tent due to testing at the factory. Of course it will be shot by me for sure.

IMG_8627.jpg

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8628.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8630.jpg

IMG_8631.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8637.jpg

IMG_8638.jpg

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

IMG_8643.jpg

IMG_8644.jpg

IMG_8646.jpg

IMG_8648.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg
:grin:

Bullet,

Great pictures of a great rifle! That is a piece of history, for sure. It will be fun to shoot. All the Enfields I have shot were reasonably accurate and easily capable of bringing down a moose at reasonable yardage. That was a real friend to leave you the rifle. Congratulations.

DrMike":hlhi2lyp said:
Bullet,

Great pictures of a great rifle! That is a piece of history, for sure. It will be fun to shoot. All the Enfields I have shot were reasonably accurate and easily capable of bringing down a moose at reasonable yardage. That was a real friend to leave you the rifle. Congratulations.

Yes, he was one of the two best friends I had over the last 20yrs. We were very close. I preached his funeral and he was a man who truly loved our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It was my privilege to have him as a friend and brother in Christ. He would be happy with me having his rifle.

I plan on using the Fed 180gr load using a speer Hot cor. Fed has it a 2460fps and that will match the setting on the back sight for yardage plus it will be a great hunting bullet. It will be going to Arizona with me for the tight canyons I will hunt and the 358Win will do the rest.

It is a fun rifle, and the historical significance only adds to the pleasure of using it. It is a bit like using a 1903 Springfield. The knowledge that you are holding a bit of history adds to the luster of the experience.

It is tough to preach the funeral of a dear friend, but God gives grace. I'm certain that your participation was a source of hope and joy for the family. They responded very kindly with that meaningful gift.

DrMike":11c60grt said:
It is a fun rifle, and the historical significance only adds to the pleasure of using it. It is a bit like using a 1903 Springfield. The knowledge that you are holding a bit of history adds to the luster of the experience.

It is tough to preach the funeral of a dear friend, but God gives grace. I'm certain that your participation was a source of hope and joy for the family. They responded very kindly with that meaningful gift.

Well put Mike, they really did and every time I use it I will think of Sonny, his friendship and his family.

POP":3708k1sx said:
Very nice! Always wanted a jungle carbine!

POP, in 1967 when I was in the 11th grade working for Burger King, I bought a Lee Enfield 303 for 13.50. It was my first hunting rifle I ever bought on my own. In fact all I had was a 22LR and a 20 gauge shot gun at that time. This is cool that I end up with one at this end of my hunting life.

POP,

That Mk5 Jungle Carbine is a beautiful rifle. I was told that they had a real problem with the zero, but Gibbs Rifles supposedly corrected the problem. Always wanted to get one, chambered in 45/70. It would have been a great woods rifle.

My condolences on your friend, good friends are hard to find and not a small loss when they pass, but having hope of eternal life is a great comfort as you said.

Great Lee Enfield, I don't think I have seen one in that condiditon before.
I'm sure it will serve you well.

JT.

I really like the Enfield rifles. I have the no. 4 MK 1 which was made in 1944. It came with scary looking blade bayonet when I bought it long time ago. I used to reload for it but I haven't shoot it lately. I can't even remember my recipe. I think I'm gonna look it up. It's a fun rifle to plink.

IMGP3419.jpg

Desert Fox, that is a nice looking Lee Enfield and is that a P-38 laying beside it???

bullet":5f9ibt7g said:
Desert Fox, that is a nice looking Lee Enfield and is that a P-38 laying beside it???

Thanks Mike,

Yep! it sure is. The other pistol is the CZ 52.

My rifle is marked FTR - Factory Thorough Repair. It was refinished, restocked and rebarreled at the armory in Australia. This is similar to the rebuild system we had after WW2 at Augusta Arsenal, Ogden Arsenal, Rock Island Arsenal and San Antonio Arsenal. What I wind up with is a brand new rifle. The Swedes also rebuilt their M96 Mausers at several Arms Stations. They are beautifull when rebuilt.

I have decided to hand load for this rifle and I will be using a 180gr Sierra Pro-Hunter SP, Winchester Brass, Federal 210 primers and AA2495BR powder. Should get 2475fps or a little better while staying under pressures for the cartridge in this rifle. It will give me a 210 yard zero and only -5" at 270 yards. I will let you all know how it shoots.

Well after two weeks of hard research with a world wide dealer helping our process who is an importer of Lee Enfield rifles we have a final report. He said and I quote, "OK since the recoil plates are there and the rifle and stock numbers match, you don't have a put together. I checked my sources and the "A" is proper and you have a real Aussie Ligthgow rifle from the factory not some put together rifle that was assemble somewhere else. Definitely a rare peace and especially in such pristine condition. I am trying to get some numbers together on the Aussie FTR's value at the moment. You may want to consider NOT shooting it."

Now I am excited about everything but the not shooting it. The first rifle I ever hunted with was the Lee Enfield and I sure wanted to hunt with this one and shoot it. How about some advice and help on shooting it. I guess it would depend on how much it was worth. Now I have never owned a gun I did not shoot even some collectors I had because I love to shoot and hunt.

How about some feed back from you all. :lol:

Bullet,
I would wait till the dealer gets back to you before you make a decision. Its amount would be the deciding factor for me.
Russ

Bullet,

That is indeed a fine looking example. If the verdict is that it is worth too much too use, then perhaps looking for another example in good but not necessarily original condition might be an option. At least in my part of the world later models are common and inexpensive.

Cheers

Back