Backup Rifle

I always carry a back-up, as well as a .410 single shot grouse gun just in case. My back-up rifle is usually buried under multiple other empty and open cases, locked in the truck. You never know when you might need a back-up and I'd much rather be prepared than have to leave early.

Who is that one guy?? *Murphy* is it? If one gets to far from home a back up rifle is always good to have. As JD said it best. STUFF HAPPENS

One step further - I have a great hunting buddy and we do a lot of archery hunting as well. We've made it a point to try and use the same equipment / arrows etc. This way something happens your buddy is packing the spare

Mark, that is a great idea, but my hunting buddy is 5'10" and I am 6'5" so our equipment is pretty different, even though we shoot about the same weights, our arrows our pretty different. We used to shoot the same broadheads, but went off the reservation to Rage's this year. I am sticking with Muzzy's until somebody can show me that the Rages' are everything people say they are. Sorry for the rant, but you had an excellent point. Scotty

The muzzies look realy cool in my bow quiver when I carry it to the blind. If and when I ever get a shot at a deer I will be excited to see them in the air.

I am getting tired of waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see the same deer each and every day and have them all named, and I am now trying to get them to come to me when I call their name. No luck there as yet.

The Muzzy-s are the Partitions of the Archery world. I wish I would have taken pictures of it years ago, but my buddy shot a small Mulie buck through the front shoulders with a Muzzy. The entrace shoulder honestly looked like he'd been hit with a 300 Super Duper something or the other.

The broadhead was still entact 100% upon recovery. I'm a Muzzy Life Member !

I carry a back up when I go to Arizona or outside of the area in which I live. Otherwise, I don't carry another rifle. My revolver is always with me.

Elkman":3a3vjoqd said:
Nothing worse than a scope or rifle problem on a hunt and no fix in sight!
I agree, even though in over 50 years of hunting I have never had a failure of either. Thats why I carry a spare, when I don't have a spare Murphy will jump in and make my trip a stressful one. Have a great day all I am headed to the blind :grin: :grin: :grin:
That has not happened to me, but 3 different hunters when I was guiding had rifle/scope/ammo problems. All three were really happy that I had a backup that they could use.
hardpan

I always take at least one backup, except when I decide to take my Jeep when I hunt in Western Oregon. Something about leaving an expensive piece of gear in an unlockable ragtop vehicle that scares me.

Just dug my elk rifles out of the safe. Need to check zero and check for function. main rifle is a 7.5lb 20" weatherby vangard 300 win mag. Back up is a 9.5lb ruger 24" 77 markII 300 win mag. Both shoot 200gr partitions and 220gr hornadys fine.

I'm with Guy on this I'm not comfortable about leaving a firearm in a vehicle, too easy to get at (I've seen this a few times). If I could rig a cable lock to a seat I would feel better about it, but this year I'm only hunting 1.5 hours away from home so I may just leave back rifle at home.

Corey

hardpan":2imj9vfr said:
Elkman":2imj9vfr said:
Nothing worse than a scope or rifle problem on a hunt and no fix in sight!
I agree, even though in over 50 years of hunting I have never had a failure of either. Thats why I carry a spare, when I don't have a spare Murphy will jump in and make my trip a stressful one. Have a great day all I am headed to the blind :grin: :grin: :grin:
That has not happened to me, but 3 different hunters when I was guiding had rifle/scope/ammo problems. All three were really happy that I had a backup that they could use.
hardpan

Six years ago in Arizona I was going up a rig and slipped, fell backwards and to protect my face from a jagged rock I had to reach out with my hands (my rifle was in my hands) and I crush the back end of my scope and actually bent it. Yes, I hit hard. It was my 7mmSTW and fortunately I brought my 7mm Rem as a back up and only lost a day of hunting to go back and get the 7mm Rem at base camp.

Most often I hunt an area with a rifle that suits it, for me my 7mm/06 made up on an 03A3 action does the job and has yet to fail me.

I do in most situations bring a lever action be it my Marlin model 36 in 30-30, Marlin 1894 .357 well you get the picture.

A good advantage to bringing a lever carbine is if you get a lull and want to go for a walk it's there.

My 30-30 I have a total of $230 in it and feel secure with it in the case between the seats with them folded down locked in my Olds Bravada.

I never use to, however lately I have been bringing my 700 FS in 7mm rem mag.

Swany":2asqtsnb said:
my Olds Bravada.

Dang... words I never thought I'd hear out of a hunting story. :)

Now, about the time my two buddies and I went coyote hunting in a Pontiac Grand Prix...

Back