Bad Minox?

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
So I have been reading all these rave review about the Minox scopes for a long time. Heck, Scotty even talked me into getting one. I picked up a ZA5 2-10x40 with a duplex. I have not been very pleased with it at all. It is not clear at all at 10x. The duplex, and target are both really fuzzy. Turn it down to 8x or under and it is very clear. It tracks well, doesn't look bad on a rifle, and I was able to even turn in two groups under .5" with my go to 140 BT load, and 120 BT load last week. I honestly think that is one of the main reasons I don't shoot my 280 AI as much as I should.

What could be wrong with it that would cause this?

I think I would really like it if it was as clear at 10x as it was at 8x.

I hesitate to state the obvious, but did you adjust the focus ring, Jake? It is easy to overlook this in the rush to set up a scope.

I was wondering the same on the eyepiece focus. Sometimes setting it at 2x or 5x or such, then cranking it up, will reveal slight focus issues not readily apparent at lower powers. Focusing should be done at highest power, IMO.

Also, is it an open box demo from Cameraland? If so, it might have gotten tweaked just a tad in all the handling. Maybe a trip to Minox will fix it right up?

I have played with the focus on it yes. It seems to get better as i turn it in, but i run out of adjustment before it gets as clear as it is at the lower powers.

Yes it was an open box demo. At the time i thought that was the better deal, maybe not. I might call them tomorrow and see what minox has to say about it.

I have read tomany great reviews for something not to be wrong with it.

Just an FYI...

I've been doing some pretty intense research on scopes lately...and the OP is not the only person to have this same issue with this scope.

I'd say Minox will make it right, but there seems to be something going on somewhere.

Man, I hope they square you away Jake. I can honestly say once mine have been adjusted, they are dead nutz clearer than any of my VX3 or III's ever thought of being. Not that it is saying much, but I spend alot of time on the higher end of the 10 or 9X ones I have and I haven't seen that.

I am looking forward to seeing what they do with you though. I haven't heard of a Customer Service report from them yet. That will make or break the next couple of scopes I buy. Right now, I am pretty close to getting another 1.5x8 and 2-10 with #4 reticles in them. Your outcome from Minox will have a pretty strong pull in my decision.

The couple of Minox warranty issues which I am aware of, were settled quickly by exchange for a new scope. If your problem is not focal adjustment, I am sure that Minox will fix or replace your scope with no problems.

I have had my 2-10x40 Minox ZA5 for three years now. It is mounted on my .30-06 Winchester Model 70 and I shoot this rifle regularly. The scope has been 100% reliable for me as far as clarity and adjustment repeatability goes. I have been amazed that the scope is as good as it is for the price that I paid new.

Sorry that you had an issue but I am sure Minox will make it right.

I'll keep you posted Scotty. I do like the scope, when I can see through it. I have played with the focus a good bit, to the point thta I was affraid the eye piece was going to unscrew. It seems best screwed in all the way. I feel like it is just half a turn to a full turn from being clearly focused. We'll see what they say when I hear back from them.

"when I can see through it. I have played with the focus a good bit"

I might not have my scope mounted for a good cheek weld and the eye relief being 4"+ or right there at higher magnifications. This could be one of my issues with the easy eyebox acquisition.

...but I do have the focus issue as well.. or so I kinda thought. The eye focus adjustment is "tempormental" after 12x"-13x". The sweetspot for the adjustment is so small that unless you look hard for it, you can miss it. Once you find it, if a magnification change is made, you are sometimes back to step 1 if after the 12x-13x.

This and the eyebox acquisition are my only two complaints. (Well no sun shade comes with this scope package and Minox states no sun shade available)

338Winmag

Been out three times with the scope.
Going to contact Minox on Thursday and send in for inspection\repair.

I am going to remove from the classifieds as well. It might just be me since some say it looks fine but I am going to have Minox decide.

338winmag

Good deal Steve. Looking forward to seeing how well their customer service treats you.

Sorry to hear about that Minox, the one I recently purchased seem to be fine.
But I will be checking it closely :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

I called Minox USA today. I received someone on the other end rather quickly and no wait time. Greg for Minox answered with a very pleasant tone, listened to my concern with the scope and immediately offered to take a look at it. I shipped it out today.

First impression of customer support:
No stress in Greg's voice or any kind of attitude for calling in a concern. As a matter of fact he was so congenial, I had to let him know I was out and out impressed how caring and professional he was on our call. He stated thats how they do business here. I like that. I like that a lot. I have had some same kind of great attitude and service from RCBS, Vortex, Weatherby and yes, definitely Nosler.

I will keep everyone posted but I have to say I am excited and believe if there is any issue, Minox is going to make this right.

338winmag

That is certainly comforting and almost unheard of today. I am happy that you had such a good experience!

That is an excellent report; I'm pleased (though not surprised) to see they take customer service seriously.

Good report and glad to hear it. Keep us posted on th rest of the story.

I am glad to hear that Minox looks to be stepping up to the plate.
Please keep us informed.

Blessings,
Dan

That is great news Steve. I am very happy to hear that. Hope they square you away and make it the scope I think it should be for you.

Back