Barrel Break in Bullets?

trays7940

Beginner
Feb 21, 2006
Tubb's® Final Finish Bore Conditioning Ammo...

Anyone use these? Good stuff or not?

Just got me a Shillen 7mm ultra mag barrel and was wondering about breaking it in with this stuff.... :?

trays7940":2vr03jqj said:
Tubb's® Final Finish Bore Conditioning Ammo...

Anyone use these? Good stuff or not?

Just got me a Shillen 7mm ultra mag barrel and was wondering about breaking it in with this stuff.... :?

What does Shillen say about barrel brake-in????

I would not use it in an after market barrel, most are hand lapped prior to leaving the barrel maker and the lapping bullets will not help and could harm the barrel. I might consider using the lapping bullets on a very rough factory barrel.Rick.

I used it on a rough Remington factory barrel with decent results. Not too keen on the idea of running 'em through a Shilen, Krieger or other high-dollar, hand-lapped barrel.

Still, if the throat area is rough - might be worth a try. Most of the really nice barrels, chambered by a good smith with a sharp reamer, need only a few rounds to "break in." That's conventional bullets, not "final finish" bullets.

Regards, Guy

I have had 3 Shilen, 2 douglas and 2 Lilja barrels and I would not put any abrasive thing in my barrels. NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll add that if the throat is a tad rough, some JB's bore paste will be a lot better idea (with more control) than the final finish bullets. I don't care for these, as the idea is a little flawed in my mind. Consider that the only part of the barrel that's going to get 'polished' is the throat area, as the abrasive will fill up fairly quickly, and then you'll be shooting a slightly oversize smooth bullet up your expensive pipe. Not a good thought, in my opinion. I'd just shoot it with some standard copper jacket stuff for the first 50-100rds (I like Nosler or Speer, but others will work) and keep it clean. My money says if you check with Shilen, they'll tell you to stay far, far away from fire-lapping bullets.

Barrel break in:

Shillen says:
standard recommendation: Clean after each shot for the first 5 shots. The remainder of the break-in is to clean every 5 shots for the next 50 shots.

Krieger Says:

Stainless
5 one-shot cycles
1 three-shot cycle
1 five-shot cycle

Chrome moly
5 - 25 - one-shot cycles
2 - three-shot cycles
1 - five-shot cycle

Very interesting... :wink: :wink:

Back