Barrel cleaning and effects

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi there.
Just wondering how often you guys clean your barrel.
Which do you think is the best way to do so, to avoid unwanted effects on groups?

I shot tested a load yesterday under these conditions:

Distance @ 190 yds. approx.
Light breeze
Outside temperature @ 25 degrees Celsius
High Humidity (80/90%)
Barrel length: 24"
Caliber: 6,5x57 RIMMED
Rifle: Blaser K95 single shot (break open)
Scope: 6x42
Powder: NORMA 204
Primer: Federal GM210
Cases: RWS
Bullet: 120 grs. Nosler BT

Results:
First shot out of a shiny cleaned barrel (maybe not clean enough...) about 3,5" lower and 1" to the right of the remaining group of 4 shots.

Group (4 shots): within 1.5" diameter

Now, for hunting purposes a 1.5" group @ 190 yds. is more than what I need.
On the other side, since the first shot is the one which count the most, why did I get such a different impact point from the others (which impacted in the same place as usual and thus correctly?).
Could it be an excess of solvent or oil still inside the barrel/chamber?

Also, even by swapping bullet make I find big differences...

Appreciate your help.

Cheers.

BTW: My rifle seems to better shoot medium/lighter weight bullets, even though its very long head space would call for heavier ones...

In the benchrest circle I think that they shoot a couple of fouler shots befor the shoot thier group, try shooting your gun the next day without cleaning your barrel, and let us know the results Good Luck

It has been my experience that the 1 shot out of a clean barrel will not shoot with the group. Actually I do not clean my rifles until the end of season or if accuracy starts to fall off as I shoot through out the year.

Long

I sight my guns in with a few shots down the tube. I always start a hunt with 2-3 "fouling" shots and to ensure my zero is dead on.
I use Shooters Choice MC7 as a general solvent , Sweets 7.62 for copper fouling, Rem Oil for inner/outer protection and Hoppe's#9 as an aromic reminder of the good 'ol days. :wink:

JD338

I've gotten just about the same results as everyone else. The first shot seems to be just a bit different for impact point. If the barrel is stainless I don't mind not cleaning until the end of the season but for carbon barrels I have found that there is a good chance for rust if not cleaned, especially if you hunt in the rain or snow as we all eventually do. Has enyone tried corrosion X for rust preventitive. I live in Florida and guns rust while you look at them (humidity is extremely high) Corrosion X has solved any and all previous problems I've had with rust. Works real well in a saltwater enviroment.

Back