Barrel cleaning question?

ArmyCW

Beginner
Oct 29, 2008
With all of the loading questions/ data here is good information.
Just wondering what everyone uses to clean copper/lead from
your favorite rig. What brand and why?
How do you clean? Wet patch? bore brush? How many times etc.

I was enlighted...Was using Outers Nitro Solvent.. I thought this worked.
Was told that Bore Tech Eliminator was the product of choice.
Kenny

I use Shooters Choice MC #7 and Sweets 7.62 for cleaning and Rem Oil for protection from corrosion.

JD338

For new barrels, I pretty much use Butch's Bore Shine. For older barrels, I clean with Hoppes Elite, followed by Butch's Bore Shine and G96 Gun Treatment if the barrel is less than .323 inch. For larger calibres, I use Hoppes Elite, followed by G96 Copper Remover and G96 Gun treatment. Especially dirty barrels may get special attention with CR10 (blued barrels) or Sweets (stainless barrels), and rough barrels may get a treatment with JB Bore Paste.

There are a variety of products on the market that work very well, and each of them work well if they are actually used. It is more important to use a cleaner than it is to use "the right" cleaner.

I used to use all the typical stuff, Hoppes, Butches, ShootersCH. and so on. I also try avoind brushes of any kind. But then I picked up a used Encore barrel in a .30-06 and suppoedly it had been shot very little. I did come come "dirty" and I was glad, as I wanted to see how it cleaned up.
Well, the first 23.5" from the breech end cleaned easily and bare felt really smooth to the patch and jag. But the last 1/2" had some build up that I haven't seen before. The above products wouldn't touch it!
I then decided to give WipeOut a try. WOW!,,,,great stuff and still no brushing.
Now I got to shoot it and see how it shoots, see if that is problem area. If so, cut off a 1/2" and recrown.
But WipeOut sold me,,,,Spray let set 10 mins., hit with 2-3 patches, spray again, let set overnite, 2-3 more patches it's a done deal.

Dave

Yup, clean with whatever you have lying around to get out the
easy to get powder fouling, etc. Then Wipeout.

Hoppe`s solvent with patches (no brush) until clean. Follow that with multiple pass throughs with JB Bore Compound, followed by more solvent (no brush) to remove the compound until clean. Then comes multiple pass throughs with JB Bore Brite, followed with more solvent (no brush) to remove that until clean! Then one pass through with gun oil............With a bore light, a barrel shine you would not believe! If my bores were a mirror, I could literally see myself!

I start with hoppe's #9 nitro-solvent on a patch and jag. I am still very impressed with the amount of copper green patena it removes.

For the last year I have also used TM solution a none amonia/petrolium product and now use it afther running dry patches to remove all the #9. It does remove more powder residue (black) and with the next wet patch more copper (blue) with this solution. Then I like to run a wet patch or two of koil oil and let set for a day/a week etc. Then dry patch it out and wet patch with a good oil like hoppes/rem oil for storeage.

I could just use the new TM it is great and kroil might just be a great gun oil as well but I do not know so I just re-oil and store. In the end its just more cleaning. Bore Tech like TM solution has great reviews and I like it better than butches which I do have experance with too.

I will add there will always be a need in my cleaning kit for Hoppe's # 9, its like coke-a cola a staple and a standard to judge all else againest.

DRMIKE whats your PHD in???? if not too personal?

Barnes cr-10
Butches bore shine
Kroils
Wipe out
The shooters choice spay.
Brake cleaner
Sweets
Jb bore compound 1 and 2

and an Outers foul out remover

It all depends on the application.

Two bore cleaner I'll be using..

Bore Tech Elimanator: Works for rimfire, centerfire and shotgun barrels,
this cleaner works in a two step process, the first one changes
the electric configuration of the copper and the second step acts
as a magnet to remove virtually all copper and prevents it from
rebedding into the barrel. Non-toxic, non-flammable chemical is petroleum and ammonia free.

KG-2 Bore Restore: Based on the theory of removing the copper and lead from the lands
and groves only while simply smoothing over the impregnated copper and lead in the
micro-fractures of the bore, KG-2 will help reduce the need for fouling shots and is
the reason it is recommended to be used by SWAT and sniper teams.
KG-2 is an ideal product for fire polishing (A technique producing a finer finish than Fire Lapping).

Lately, I've been pretty happy with Montana Extreme bore solvent and copper killer followed by Wipeout. Comes out squeaky clean. The only downside is the VERY strong fumes of the Montana solvents. Do not use inside or be anywhere near flame with this stuff!

Butches Bore Shine for powder and lead and Wipe Out for everything. Very impressed with the Wipe Out foam. One shot hour later patches until dry then another shot and wait another hour or two and done!

I'll put in another vote for Wipe Out. I've tried a bunch of 'em. I'm very satisfied with Wipe Out for now.

Steve

Hoppe's #9 followed by Sweets until all the patch stays white followed by a few dry patches on the jag. then a patch soaked in break free let it sit for an hour then dry patch.
I do use nylon brushes with the hoppes #9 at the start. Sometimes I will brush and follow with a soaked patch and let it sit for a while.

While I have a lot of the cleaning gear I don't clean my rifle barrels very often and they seem to still shoot well.

If I rifles accuracy went bad then I would check for what was loose. I might clean the barrel after that.

Hoppe's *9 cause Dad did and the smell brings back great memories. Wipe out, after that ....far and away the best. Follow that up with some break Free CLP to ward of the rust. A dry pacth before I shoot and 5-6 foulers cause thats waht my rifle likes. CL

Hoppes#9 just because I like the smell. also use gun scrubber on the mechanism. then rem oil, or kreol

Back