Barrel life experiences/expectations?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
.270 fan has an interesting post going about building his dream rifle - thought I'd start another and ask shooters what they've seen in barrel life from different cartridges and different conditions. Theirs and rifles they've seen.

What is meant by "barrel life" anyway? To me, it's when the darned thing won't shoot as well as I'd like it to anymore. Pretty simple for me.

How's a barrel "wear out" anyway? From what I've seen, it's primarily in the throat area, where the hot burning gases actually erode the rifling... Sometimes this can extend a few inches up into the barrel from the chamber.

Are some cartridges, and some types of shooting, harder on barrels? I sure think so; relatively small bore cartridges burning lots of gunpowder sure seem to wear out a barrel fast. Lots of rapid fire will also wear out a barrel fast - mostly from intense heat I'd guess.

So... what have I got, and what have I seen?

Rem 700 factory barrel in .308 Winchester. Remarkably accurate factory barrel when fed 168 grain match bullets. Very nice shooter to about the 3800 round mark... Started going pretty gradually, but as we passed 4000 rounds I couldn't count on it to shoot MOA groups anymore. That was my limit for that barrel, and it was replaced with a Krieger cut-rifle barrel.

Why Krieger? Good past experience with their barrels on my match rifle. I've also had great luck with a Hart barrel and have an Obermeyer in the gunsafe waiting for this current Krieger on my match rifle to finish up.

Krieger .308 barrel, 1:13 twist, 30" long - on a match rifle. I pushed it to about 5600 rounds. Mostly slow fire, although I did enter some rapid fire matches with it as well. Kept it on until my X-count at 600 yards was well below normal. Perhaps it could have served to 6000 or beyond?

In the Corps, we were told that expected accurate life of our 7.62 (.308 Win essentially) M40A1 barrels was 8000 rounds. They were routinely replaced at 5000 rounds because nobody wanted to see a combat unit with nearly worn out sniper rifles. Good thinking on somebody's part! We all noted that when Quantico would send us a "new" rebuilt rifle, it was one heck of a shooter compared to the rifles we'd been dragging through the dirt for a few years.

The .308 is known for being pretty easy on barrel life, as are the 7mm-08 and the .260 Rem, both of which are simply the .308 necked down a bit.

I haven't worn one out myself, but have often been told that the guys shooting magnums in competition are replacing the barrels at about 1500 rounds - which isn't much shooting as far as a competition rifle goes. That's primarily from guys using one of the various .30 caliber belted magnums. Surprising to some, there are smaller cartridges like the .243 that also finish off a barrel in about 2000 rounds. The 6mm's are becoming very popular for match shooting because of their accuracy, great downrange ballistics and mild recoil.

Most of my barrel wear info comes from match shooters, although some dedicated varmint shooters also wear out barrels on a pretty regular basis. Many of my match shooting buddies figure on one, or two, seasons with a barrel. Some, particularly the guys shooting "hot" cartridges, are going through a couple of barrels a season.

What can you do about it? Well, my first big hurdle was to just get over it. Had to change my way of thinking about barrels. When I started thinking about them like tires... That even the real good ones wear out and need to be replaced eventually, I got a lot more comfortable with the idea. Also, as has been pointed out in another thread, a barrel can be set-back and re-chambered. That's been done with my good old Hart, that so far refuses to die...

Input and experiences? Thanks, Guy

Guy,

Good write up! I like the barrel/tire analogy.
I shot out a 30-06 barrel, approx 6000 rounds. Throat was gone and my groups opened up. I kept increasing my load to keep the groups down but eventually had a 2 MOA rifle. Rebarreled with another Remington barrel
(I know, young and dumb).

I have a Hart barrel (280AI) and love the accuracy and the ease of cleaning. I am planning on a new Hart barrel for my 338 RUM when the time comes.

JD338

Off topic somewhat.....
I'm having another .260 built right now......in the past, I've used Douglas barrels, but the last in a .223 only seemed to make it a couple thousand rounds. The factory Remington barrels seem to hit about the 5000 mark on the .223 and 22-250's we have. It's one of the 22-250's that is getting turned into the .260 with a Lilja barrel.......question being.....anyone with experience with Lilja ?

Actually, barrel life is pretty good, I would say.

Certainly, things like case capacity and expansion ration have a huge bearing on barrel life, but I think one of the biggest factors is whether or not you over heat them.

My buddy and I used to do a lot of prairie dog shooting. When using identical 22-250 Remington rifles he went through a lot more barrels than I did. We both started out with stock Remington barrels then went with Hart's for the replacements. In all cases I would get over 4000 rounds from a barrel while his would go south at between 2500 and 3000 rounds. The difference? He got them too hot!

Having said that, the round in question certainly has a bearing. A friend burned out a barrel on a 224 Clark in 700 rounds. I used a stock Remington barrel on a 7BR for silhouette shooting for more than 7000 rounds. I have a TC barrel chambered in 7TCU that has over 7000 shots down it and it still shoots well.

A case that you would think to be a barrel burner is the 22-250 AI, but my dad and his buddy routinely get over 4000 rounds out the Hart's they use on their rifles.

In response to another poster's question, I have had GREAT experiences with Lilja barrels. I wore out the barrel on a 25-06 by getting it too hot and replaced it with a chrome moly Lilja. I own Hart's, and Shilen's but that Lilja is as good as any of them.
The gunsmith that did my 25-06 rebarrel highly recommended either Lilja or Krieger.

Barrel life is pretty simple to me as well, when the barrel stops shooting the normal groups it has, and starts opening up to MOA or more. I've shot out 2 barrels so far, but they were only factory barrels. The first was a Ruger MK2 stainless/synthetic in 25-06. This was my introductory LR rifle where i started practicing and taking shots up and out to 500 yards. This meant I had to start practicing on a regular basis. I put about 2800-3000 rounds of pretty hot loads through that rifle before I noticed the accuracy was going from .5" to 1" at 100 yards. I am pretty anal about my barrels getting hot. It does no good for accuracy and barrel life, so I tend to NOT let my barrels get hot for any reason. WHen I load test, I shoot a round a minute. The other barrel I shot out was my Remington 700 in 300 RUM. I had this rifle for about 2 years and put 1200 rounds through her. In its early life, half MOA at 800 yards was not totally uncommon off the bench. However, after about the 1000 round mark, MOA and over was the result. It still shot pretty decent at 500 yards though, about 4 inch groups. Still decent for hunting, but not really good enough for what I was wanting/needing to do with it. I took pretty good care of my 300 RUM and made sure it would last as long as possible becasue I knew I wasn't going to get crap out of it for barrel life in the first place. This is my limited experience with shooting out barrels.

Lilja, Kreiger, Broughton, Schneider, Mike Rock 5r. Those are some of the top names in barrel making. If you get a barrel by any of them, they will shoot top notch. I haven't heard 1 bad thing about any of those barrels mentioned above.

There is a big difference between MOA accuracy and hunting accuracy. I have personally finished off three factory barrels .25-06, a .30-06, and a .300 Wby Mag. All three were previously owned, and total round count on each of them is unknown. Heat and velocity combined with pressure is the biggest cause of throat erosion.

Since 2002 (when I started having to rebarrel rifles), I have kept a log on rounds fired thru each of my rifles. Two replacement barrels are Shilen and have 300 to 500 rounds thru them. The .300 Wby is in the process of being rebarreled to a .338 Win Mag with a factory take off barrel. The Wby barrel is almost smooth for the first 6 inches beyond the chamber - only an indication of where the rifling should be. I don't know how many rounds have been thru it. I do know that I have put 450 to 500 rounds thru it before it started printing a shotgun pattern on a standard size piece of paper at 100 yards. The Wby load was a 200 grain Partition @ 3000 fps. No I didn't get it hot but the velocity and pressure was at top limits for Wby standards. When the accuracy said goodby it was fast. One day it shoots good the next day I wasn't sure it was the same gun.

Sorry this is so long, Just my two cents.
Steve D. the HP

I think I've shot out two barrels. Either that or I got enough use out of them to justify the change!

First was my 30-06 Mountain Rifle LSS. It lasted about 3000 rounds. I did abuse it some early on in my shooting "career"; I won't run a barrel that hot anymore. I had a PacNor barrel put on it and that has maybe 800 rounds through it. I love the PN barrel and do NOT want it to ever wear out! It's fast and accurate.

Second was my Model 7 LSS in 7mm-08. This was a problem rifle that I again put a LOT of rounds through trying to sort out multiple factory problems, to include a bad crown, very poor stock fit, and a problem with a Leupold scope.... and combinations of the above! It was a real exercise in multiple variables and things that should not, statistically, be happening but WERE. I finally got it all figured out, got about another 1000 rounds of good accuracy through it, then it just would not shoot anymore. I'd since gotten the wild hair to mess with .358 Win so it didn't break my heart to rebarrel it!

I have a stock 338 WIn Mag, a M700 XCR, that I am absolutely babying because it shoots really well... I want it to last my whole life, but I want to shoot the thing, what to do!

Since becoming a Realtor ®, I don't really have "days off" in the classic sense and I have been shooting much less the last year or so. At least my barrels are lasting longer! I also try to have my M1a's and AR15 and the like bear the brunt of my need for recoil therapy!

-jeff

I have worn a few barrels out erosion wise and when they became a concern I either had a new one put on or traded the rifle off.

I seem to have more problems with bad crowns than others or at least I look to the crown as a cause of inaccuracy. Perhaps its my barrel cleaning technique, my powers of observation or I am on to something.

Just something to think about!

952.jpg

Dremel 952.

"He who is good with a hammer thinks everything is a nail."

Back